Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry I just got thru cancelling my plan & Evo with Sprint

Well, the Sprint customer service reps were nice enough...

I got my brand new, gorgeous, Evo phone from Sprint via UPS. It was actually smaller a lot than I thought it would be.

Donning surgical gloves, I gingerly cleaned the screen with a micro-fiber cloth and placed a screen protector onto it. I loaded the battery and called Sprint from my old phone to activate the phone. I was so excited!

Turns out that when I bought the new Evo, I thought I was getting an upgrade from an ancient Motorola Razr. Sprint thought that I was adding a phone line.

I don't know how the misunderstanding occurred.

Regardless, I had a new Evo phone with a different phone number than the one I've had for the past decade.

When I asked them to switch my phone number over from the Razr, they told me they couldn't.

We talked about different options, but what it came down to was... they were charging me for two phone lines and I couldn't port my old number onto the new Evo. My only decent route would be to return the Evo to Sprint and keep my Razr. I can buy a new Evo when it becomes available.

I am still feeling rather upset and disappointed.

If AT&T didn't cap their data on the new iPhone... I'd switch to them in a heartbeat. Dammit.

Were you not eligible for an upgrade on your current line?

You can change the phone number of any device on your plan over the phone (not that this applies to you). If you had to return the EVO to cancel the new line then you could walk into a Sprint store and upgrade your current line. With that being said you can still get an EVO, so what's the problem?
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

If you didn't send your phone back, call them and get a supervisor on the line, they can straighten this out.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

^ what he said..

If you were eligible for an upgrade there's no reason why they shouldn't have been able to swap the phones and cancel the second line.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    If you were eligible for an upgrade there's no reason why they shouldn't have been able to swap the phones and cancel the second line.
    Exactly. Speak to someone else. Sounds like Sprint's mistake and an easy fix.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I bought from Sprint directly... and they're currently backordered. Oh, and yes, I was up for the maximum upgrade discount.

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    If you didn't send your phone back, call them and get a supervisor on the line, they can straighten this out.
    Yup. Talked to the supervisor. No go.

They were willing to let me have the Evo IF I accepted the new phone number. Personally, I've had my old number for over ten years and I don't want to even think of how I'd get in touch with all my friends/families/business contacts to let them all know about the change, so that wasn't really an option.

Quote Originally Posted by antianalog View Post
    You can change the phone number of any device on your plan over the phone (not that this applies to you). If you had to return the EVO to cancel the new line then you could walk into a Sprint store and upgrade your current line. With that being said you can still get an EVO, so what's the problem?
    All the Evos are sold out in my area. I'm on a call-list at the local Sprint store for when they get their next shipment... but when I talked with them about upgrading in the past (a year ago)... they told me that they were not a direct affiliate and that they couldn't port my number either (my residence is in Florida, but I'm currently working out of state for an extended period). Which is why I went thru Sprint directly.

Does anyone else have problems keeping their phone number when they try and upgrade?!?
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Do you have a Sprint corporate store near you? I find this unimaginable, someone got their wires crossed at Sprint, probably when it was going from rep to supervisor.

I'd def. call back. They should either cancel the EVO line and re-add it as an upgarde to your line, or they should swap the numbers on the phones and cancel the the 2nd line.

They might end up with a balance on your account for non-returned hardware so they'll have to put a credit in to your account.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

That sucks I can't believe thy couldn't just switch the numbers. I hope you get one soon

Sucks that it got messed up.

But it sounds like you just had to return the phone, so the only issue is that you have to wait a few more days for an Evo and you're good to go, right?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Do you have a Sprint corporate store near you? I find this unimaginable, someone got their wires crossed at Sprint, probably when it was going from rep to supervisor.

I'd def. call back. They should either cancel the EVO line and re-add it as an upgarde to your line, or they should swap the numbers on the phones and cancel the the 2nd line.

They might end up with a balance on your account for non-returned hardware so they'll have to put a credit in to your account.
    No, there's no corporate store near me. There are two "Sprint Stores" in town, but supposedly, they're "affliates" and not corporate.

They're willing to cancel the Evo line and re-add it as an upgrade... just NOT with the Evo they sent me. They said something about how the serial numbers on the phone are assigned or something and that they could, in no manner or way, change the number assigned to the Evo they sent me. I thought that was BS because people change numbers on phones everytime they buy a used phone.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this didn't happen until towards the end of the work day. I wonder if they were trying to blow me off because it was near the end of their business day?
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Braaainz View Post
    No, there's no corporate store near me. There are two "Sprint Stores" in town, but supposedly, they're "affliates" and not corporate.

They're willing to cancel the Evo line and re-add it as an upgrade... just NOT with the Evo they sent me. They said something about how the serial numbers on the phone are assigned or something and that they could, in no manner or way, change the number assigned to the Evo they sent me. I thought that was BS because people change numbers on phones everytime they buy a used phone.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this didn't happen until towards the end of the work day. I wonder if they were trying to blow me off because it was near the end of their business day?
    I'd def. call back. They have the ability to cancel the new EVO line and free it off of your account, they may have to put it through like you bought it at full price though, thus the credit back to your account I was speaking of. (retail minus the cost you paid)

After that's taken care the ESN on the EVO is free & clear, then they can put it on your line as an upgrade and activate it.

Hrmm, so since you purchased it through an affiliate (it is like purchasing it at Best Buy) so I don't know if Sprint directly will be able to help you. They can't switch it and cancel the line unless you return the phone but you didn't buy the phone directly through Sprint so would have to be the place you bought it from.

I'd contact Sprint directly to see if there is anything they can do anyway if you already haven't.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Hrmm, so since you purchased it through an affiliate (it is like purchasing it at Best Buy) so I don't know if Sprint directly will be able to help you. They can't switch it and cancel the line unless you return the phone but you didn't buy the phone directly through Sprint so would have to be the place you bought it from.

I'd contact Sprint directly to see if there is anything they can do anyway if you already haven't.
    He got it from Sprint direct.

Title is kind of misleading. You will actually still have a line with Sprint and no EVO. I can't help but feel like we are missing some part of the story here. Why did you order directly from Sprint to begin with?

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

Wow that really stinks and people wonder why Sprint has such a bad reputation for customer service!

He got it from Sprint direct.
    The OP mentioned they got it shipped from Sprint but then they mentioned about the affiliate stores they went to and how they were willing to cancel the line so wasn't sure.

Call Sprint *2 for ESN swap, then cancel unwanted line, done

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

You should also be able to swap phones on the website. We do it between our 6 lines on our account all the time. My daughter is the pro at it, now.

Sprint can do the ESN swap regardless of where purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post

A question:

Im planning to port my old AT&T number (got a new line from RS, since I wanted to try before commiting to a new contract) to my new Sprint account. Is it a matter of just me calling Sprint CS and asking them to switch me to my old AT&T number? I cannot afford to lose my number (more than 500 customers have my number), and my local RS rep told me that this could be done no problem... is this true?
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by auburnmk View Post
    Call Sprint *2 for ESN swap, then cancel unwanted line, done
    He'll forfeit the rebate and possibly could be charged the whole hit of the EVO on his sprint bill.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drogapr View Post
    A question:

Im planning to port my old AT&T number (got a new line from RS, since I wanted to try before commiting to a new contract) to my new Sprint account. Is it a matter of just me calling Sprint CS and asking them to switch me to my old AT&T number? I cannot afford to lose my number (more than 500 customers have my number), and my local RS rep told me that this could be done no problem... is this true?
    My g/f had AT&T when we got our EVOs, they switched it at RS, it took about 5 minutes to get transfered.

You may just want to go back to RS and have it done as they have access to both AT&T and Sprint systems whereas Sprint will have to put a request in to AT&T for the number.

Same thing kind of happened to me, i had a bb bold on sprint that i got from best buy. My 30th day trial was up on the 14th of june and i wanted the evo and best buy was sold out for a month and a half in advance so i knew it would be after the 14th before i could receive my phone ....So i call sprint customer service and the lady told me to order the phone over the phone then return the bb bold to best buy. So thats what i did and i paid next day air to get my phone by monday. I get my phone on monday and call to swap my number long story short they told me i couldnt and escalated me. Then spoke to someone else and he told me i couldnt that he could lose his job because it would cause equipment issues down the road and he suggested that i go get my bold back return my evo go back to best buy and swap it then WTF! After 40 mins of this he xferred me to his supervisor who said he could do this no problem but he had to check some thing and asked if he could place me on hold, sure i said happily since he assured me that this could get this done, 20 mins later the music stops and a busy tone comes on (sigh). I see that their phone disconnected so i call back UBER pissed demanding for a supervisor right away. The guy calms me down get me to talk and simply said he didnt understand why they even escalated me it was pointless and he could do it no prob 20mins later my evo was activated with my SAME number and the bb bold has been returned. I was so exhausted and just happy that it got done didnt bother asking for any compensation, i just kept thanking the guy for being my hero. soo i would most definitely try again.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast