1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Arrow First road trip with EVO, NAV, Battery, etc...(review)

Today I took a trip from Morgantown WV to the DC area. Instead of sticking to the main highways I decided to go through the mountains and enter in the back way. I used both Sprint Nav and the Google Nav. Although I like the sprint nav especially because of the clear voice and traffic checks without touching the device. Surprisingly the google nav ended up doing better than the sprint nav. The ladies voice is a little scrambled, but it never missed a turn or went off course once. Not once. The arrival time was about 8 minutes off when I did arrive. It said 3:29 minutes and it took me 3:21 minutes. The most impressive thing was that I had cell phone service for about 50% of the time and the Nav didn't stutter or anything. Even when I kept going from roam to no service. Just kept on cruising.

I multi tasked many times with the navigation running. No problems. Used the voice to text while I was driving. I even used the voice to text with the google nav and the sprint nav and didn't run into any problems. It got it right the first time all 4 times I did it with different addresses.

The way there I kept the phone on the charger the whole way since I needed it when I got there. On the way back I tried it without being attached to the charger. Not that I expect it to last long...but it only lasted about 2 hours. Now...it's understandable because not only was I using the google nav, but there was no service so I'm sure my phone was in spaz mode trying to find a signal. It was just under 2 hours when I got the 15% battery indicator.

The first day I had the phone the battery was pretty good, but even today it wasn't great. The phone was just sitting idle in my pocket when I was in DC and it lost about 40% without really using it. Its weird, but my battery performance seems to be all over the place. I manage it pretty well and keep an eye on everything. Also, the weather home screen seemed to take a while updating between towns. Just figured I'd post up my review after the first road trip. Google nav is pretty impressive.

Great review! Thanks I have not had the chance or opportunity to use either nav yet. But I was wondering about this because I used it several times on the Pre. I will certainly try the Google one.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

what brand of car charger were you using ?

I have a Palm Pre and I use the OEM usb wall charger and when I am at work I'll put on sprint tv to watch the soccer games and the phone will eventually die even while plugged in.

I just want to make sure to get a charger that work with the EVO so that I wont run into anything like that..

I am going on a week long road trip and I will be using the Navigation the whole trip and want to make sure that when my phone is plugged in via the car that using navigation will charge or at least not lose any juice while driving.

did you have any problems with you car charger kind of like what I was talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gelst View Post
    I am going on a week long road trip and I will be using the Navigation the whole trip and want to make sure that when my phone is plugged in via the car that using navigation will charge or at least not lose any juice while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Tod
    I multi tasked many times with the navigation running. No problems. Used the voice to text while I was driving. I even used the voice to text with the google nav and the sprint nav and didn't run into any problems. It got it right the first time all 4 times I did it with different addresses.
    e.
    what are you using for voice to text and exactly how? special app or the built in feature?

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

Actually after a lot of research and reading on car chargers this morning , I found this one at Seidio that is half the price of the Sprint one and is the same. Plus it's from a reputable company that I trust

I really need to get a car that has a working car charger port. My 94 bimmer is falling apart and that is definitely one thing that doesn't work.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

^Check the fuse.