Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    HydroRom/HydroKernel

Default installed new digitizer, bottom 1/2 inch isnt responding

got a free EVO 4g from a buddy. had a broken digitizer(front glass panel). so i picked one up on ebay from a reputable seller. installed it, put in a brand new battery, let it charge fully before turning on. go to turn it on and all goes well, except the bottom 1/2 inch is not responsive. it makes it really hard to unlock and actually use.

Now, i have not installed the digitizer adhesive yet, could that be the culprit? could i have got a bad digitizer?
    the digitizer i bough has a 30 day warranty so i could return and hope to get a better one?

what would you do?

thanks!

Default Re: installed new digitizer, bottom 1/2 inch isnt responding

open it back up...reseat the ribbions to make sure there seated properly, &yes the glass has to be a right fit...reseat with proper adhesive....should be good after that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    HydroRom/HydroKernel

Quote Originally Posted by Dj_Lucy View Post
    open it back up...reseat the ribbions to make sure there seated properly, &yes the glass has to be a right fit...reseat with proper adhesive....should be good after that.

I have done all the above now at the recommendation of the ebay seller. i even cleaned the ribbons with alchohol like he said to do and its the same problem. he said he would send me another one to try, when i ship the defective one back.

hopefully that works.

There is most likely a small seperation from the ribbon to the digitizer it happens quite a bit from my experience especially with HTC.

I fix about 10 of these a day without any issue... did you remember to take the plastic tabs off of the bottom of the old digitizer which are under the home menu back and search buttons and re adhere them to the new one ?? These are a requirement for alignment and for the bottom buttons to work

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Varies

Anyone care to share their source for a good digitizer? I bought one from an Amazon seller, and mine has the same 1/2" or so dead area at the bottom.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I just replaced mine, and same problem, left half not working, so after reseating a couple of times, I pulled the digitizer and found the ribbon was torn 1/2 way through near the glass, so I will send for another, I don't believe I was the cause, I was very careful and worked slowly to do it right, oh well! $6.99 down the drain!

Quote Originally Posted by speedygadget View Post
    I fix about 10 of these a day without any issue... did you remember to take the plastic tabs off of the bottom of the old digitizer which are under the home menu back and search buttons and re adhere them to the new one ?? These are a requirement for alignment and for the bottom buttons to work
    I've fixed phones where I had to do that, but the original EVO isn't one of them.

I merely pulled the old digitizer off and switched to the new one and they are already attached.

Add for where, I got mine from some Chinese seller on eBay for 6 bucks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

After I took off the digitizer, which I was sure had cracked (still had screen protector attached) I realized it wasn't cracked, I broke the LCD, so since the new digitizer was already bad, and the LCD was bad, I ordered the combo together already sealed, so that should arrive in a few days.
    Still is cheaper than a new evo, or a used one for that matter.

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Daninla View Post
    After I took off the digitizer, which I was sure had cracked (still had screen protector attached) I realized it wasn't cracked, I broke the LCD, so since the new digitizer was already bad, and the LCD was bad, I ordered the combo together already sealed, so that should arrive in a few days.
    Still is cheaper than a new evo, or a used one for that matter.
    The LCD has nothing to do with the digitizer's unresponsiveness at the bottom...
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.
    Thanked by:

Hi I recently bought a new digitizer from amazon and finally got it earlier today and upon me installing it I bent the end of the digetizer part that connects to the motherboard and I thought it wouldn't effect the digetizer and I turn on my HTC evo 3d and the screen is not responding in some aeras on the screen, I was wondering if I need a new digetizer now or what, please somebody get back to me thanks

Hi I recently bought a new digitizer from amazon and finally got it earlier today and upon me installing it I bent the end of the digetizer part that connects to the motherboard and I thought it wouldn't effect the digetizer and I turn on my HTC evo 3d and the screen is not responding in some aeras on the screen, I was wondering if I need a new digetizer now or what, please somebody get back to me thanks