GPS can't find signal while streaming radio?

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So to play with the navigation features of the EVO (and to try out that massive screen as a GPS), I decided to have it navigate me home last night after work.

After I set the route and made sure it was navigating properly, I launched Pandora to listen to some music (many a trip was done on the Pre with Sprint Nav and Pandora going). Within 30 seconds of the music starting it lost GPS signal and was unable to regain it. I fiddled around, but ultimate when I went back into Pandora and quit, it instantly got GPS signal and was fine.

It did this with both Google Navigation and Sprint Navigation...
It did this with both Pandora and SlackerRadio...

Anybody else tried navigating and streaming radio at the same time?

Where do I report this...Sprint, HTC, or Google?

Reactions: Mark Butler

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow...awful quiet in here...has anybody run both navigation and streaming radio at the same time? I'd love to be told that it works great...

JStu313

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had a few instances where I had to force Pandora to close when navigating, but I've never had an issue with the GPS signal dropping while multitasking.

anon(26928)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Everytime I use Google Maps in navigation mode I have Pandora running in the background as I play it over my cars audio so I wouldn't be able to listen to the radio. I have had 0 issues here except for when I acquired a 4G signal then lost it, but that was a data connection issue, not a GPS issue.

Watcher07

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue as the op. I was testing out google nav and launched pandora since my radio station was coming in static, and nav stopped updating my position instantly. It stayed basically frozen until I quit pandora at which point it caught up to where I was and started working normally. I used to have a palm pre and would use sprint nav and pandora frequently, so I didn't think there would be an issue running nav and streaming music at the same time on the evo. Hopefully it was just a glitch, I'll run a few more tests and see what happens.

buzzardjrt

Glad to know this. i am currently a Pre user and am looking at the EVO for some of the features the Pre does not have. And realizing that not much will be done for the Pre until after the HP merger, i dont want to wait.

i too use the pandora radio to drive around and use Sprints Telenav all the time, i do out side sales and will make 5-15 stops a day

the main thing i am looking at is voice to text (i dont like pulling over to reply to an email or text)

hopefully they will correct this issue. but it seems some are not having this problem

i wonder if opening Pandora first then Telenav will make a difference?

Watcher07

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I do cable installations and service calls, so I use the gps features heavily. I love the google nav (short of the robotic voice....) but tried a few times doing the nav first then pandora. Today I was going to try the pandora launch first then nav a few times to see if there are successes or failures. I don't want to write off one or two failures as complete failure so I've tried rebooting the phone and such to ensure everything is good. Will post the results of today later as I usually make between 10-15 stops a day.

mike929

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
i'm going to have to try this as well. As I am coming from the Palm Pre and could do this without effort...run Sprint Nav, Pandora, Slacker or radiotimes..

The issue i noticed last night is when i use SprintNav the audio didn't output thru my Motorola T505...but calls did. I will play with it today and see if repairing it will fix and then move onto this issue.

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
People who have experienced this issue: were you on 4G when the problem occurred?

My theory: GPS relies on the 3G connection for assistance. The EVO, in an effort to make the battery last longer than 30 seconds, almost certainly disables the 3G radio when 4G is in use, which would make GPS operate in stand-alone mode. This mode is much slower, and often fails to get a fix entirely.

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Nope, 4G was turned off the day I got it. I've noticed some other similar behavior with other apps since then. Weatherbug sometimes when opening will give an error attempting to download data. The GPS kicks in to get my current location and it errors out. Once it determines my location I can refresh it. Same thing happens with Redboxer - GPS kicks in to find my location and data won't refresh. Once it's done I can download. It's as if data and GPS can't run simultaneously...which is a huge issue.

mike929

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I did some testing....for the phone that does...it isn't able to do what the Pre could do in some aspects..things I think it should be able to do with ease.

I finally got my Motorola T505 working...i had to pair/unpair...pair/unpair until it finally said connect to "headphone with media" or something like that. prior it would connect but only say headphone...however when I went into the Bluetooth settings and went to the options for the T505 it had media checked.

Ok so that is working now...i then use SprintNav...and it is working fine...I open up Slacker as well..( i should have tried Pandora but forget since i've been working mostly today)...anyhow...the Evo does not mute the music when SprintNav is giving directions...it plays them both at the same time over each other.....this might be a Slacker thing as i'm new to using it. I will test with Pandora on my way home from work. Also while playing Slacker the music would would have a pause in it every 20-35 seconds..which is very annoying...i turned off SprintNav and it still persisted. I then shut down and started the phone...still persisited. I think it is something in the background running or syncing...i noticed when the screen dims it will pause..and when it cuts off.

Also i was on 3G full bars when all of this happened...i was also sitting at long traffic lights with full bars as well. The pre is a 3g phone which these issues never affected me.

Watcher07

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I gave the google nav and pandora the rest of my test today. I fired up pandora first, let it get through a song or so, then fired up google nav. Google nav couldn't locate a gps signal. I let it sit for about two songs and decided to call it a failure as I thought maybe the phone was just struggling with bandwidth. I then tried using the sprint nav with pandora as I used to with the palm pre, and it worked fine, muted pandora when it had something to say and all that. So it looks like google nav is just using the same "something" as pandora (3g maybe? Doubtful as I can run a web browser and listen to tunes simultaneously). It does seem like something that could probably be easily enough fixed with a patch, I'm just not familiar with mobile OS's to even give a good guess. Also, I had 4g off as my 4g coverage is spotty at best.

mike929

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I figured out what my break in audio is attributed to Wi-Fi being enabled. I had to turn it off. I guess with it constantly looking for access points it's a bit to much with 2 applications running.

Also mine did not pause when I ran Pandora and SprintNav. I'm new to using Google Nav..I like the features...but what's up with the 1980's "my computer can talk" voice.??? That just kills me every time it gives directions

drmusic45

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Google Nav is still in beta; if you run into issues like this, it might be prudent to let Google know so they can fix them. :) Not sure where you would do that, though...probably somewhere at code.google.com.

E.A.W.

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The first day I noticed it I tested with Sprint Nav as well, and it exhibited the same behavior. I'll have to retest since I kept using Google Nav for my retests.

As for the audio - Google Nav has it's own volume level (ever adjust it? It says Navigation Volume). This is probably why it doesn't mute music when nav directions are being given. Sprint Nav uses the media volume so it knows to mute other audio.

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Tested this morning with Sprint Nav...loaded up Pandora, started Sprint Nav, started driving and it lost signal...it would regain it every few minutes for a couple seconds, then lose it again. As soon as I switched to Pandora and quit, it was fine. After a few minutes of making sure it was set, I loaded up iHeartRadio...within seconds the GPS signal was lost.

It's annoying...

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, so i drove across the country last week (baltimore to San Diego) and I tested this thoroughly as I noticed some of the same issues. It isnt due to GPS or data at all and some of you might not like what i am about to say.

So, first i noticed the issue with Pandora and Google nav, I thought that i was interesting so I decided to try my luck with Sprint nav, no dice. So, since i attributed to a data/GPS issue i decided well fine i will just use my play list of songs i have on the phone.

So, while GPS was streaming perfectly normal i try using my music player that is built in and 30 secs into the song GPS CUTS OUT AGAIN. i tried the same thing with Sprint nav, and the SAME issue.

I tried this multiple times while driving, yes i only had 3g data most of the time but from my experience it it has to do with the way this thing is coded to be honest. It seems like when the processor is taking a big hit GPS prioritizing goes to the bottom of the list and everything else takes over. As soon as i stopped Pandora, or the built in music player GPS picked right back up without any issues.

This really isnt much of an issue for me because now that i am home i dont use GPS or Pandora that much while driving but I really do hope this issue is looked into.

Reactions: Mark Butler

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek