GPS can't find signal while streaming radio?

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I tested it this morning, and I found that if I started Sprint Navigation first, then played XM that it worked fine, but when I needed a new direction in the Navigation, I had to exit XM, get my new directions, and then re-start XM, but it then worked again.

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense that it's not specific to the app, but GPS taking a hit based on processor utilization. I've got an e-mail into a support contact at HTC, I'll post if I get a response...

Reactions: Mark Butler

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
For me, I tried Google Navigation.. I started Droidlive (Xiia or whatever they call it now), and then started nav, and Droidlive stopped/stuttered for a bit, then eventually started playing while Navigation was working, and then Droidlive would stutter every so often..

Stew#AC

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Loss of GPS

I have found that I lose GPS signal whenever ANY application uses audio for more than about 4-5 seconds. It does not have to be a music player or online. I'm using a voice alert program that also causes the loss of GPS signal if it talks for 4-5 seconds. It is actually losing GPS not just the GPS program. I have watched it lose sync with the satellites dropping from tracking 11 down to 0.

Edit: Also I can use my phone as a hot spot and run pandora on computer and not lose GPS, so It is not caused by data usage.

Last edited:

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So I saw on another post that there was an update to Sprint Navigator. I had to open Sprint Nav to get it to identify the update, but once I installed it I tested it for the ride home. Now I get no GPS signal loss!!!

Google Nav mutes music for directions with no issues. Sprint Nav doesn't...so it looks like they still need some work. I've updated my product support rep with the new details.

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just as a side note, I had recently gotten a tape adapter to use for audio. Upon reading another forum, I re-tested without it and the problem exists. It seems to be that the GPS signal is only lost when music is playing out of the external speaker...

Not sure why, but HTC is looking into it.

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
No, I have 4G disabled. I hit this problem last week.

Took a road trip from SF, CA to the canyons of Utah. With GPS (google maps) running, if I started the music app and played music (mp3s, no use of network), then the GPS signal is immediately lost. Pausing the music brings the GPS signal right back.

Of course, we were in the middle of nowhere with no radio stations, so it was very quiet for a while. Suckage.

(Oh yeah, and google maps is useless unless you load up your route in a town with 3G before leaving ... AND DON'T BUMP THE BACK BUTTON!!! Gawd, could they please put a confirm cancel route dialog box in there ...)

Last edited:

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you use the external speaker and gps, the speaker mucks up the gps. This is a known issue. If you use the headphone jack, there should be no problem.

Mark Butler

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with GPS but with Android 2.3.5 on a Samsung Galaxy WiFi 5.0, it has no cellular radio at all but when I use the music player the GPS drops out.

When I listen to the FM radio though the GPS is fine. This is with headphones. I'm going to read through this thread and probably post some more, just thought I'd make myself heard.

Mark Butler

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, so i drove across the country last week (baltimore to San Diego) and I tested this thoroughly as I noticed some of the same issues. It isnt due to GPS or data at all and some of you might not like what i am about to say.

So, first i noticed the issue with Pandora and Google nav, I thought that i was interesting so I decided to try my luck with Sprint nav, no dice. So, since i attributed to a data/GPS issue i decided well fine i will just use my play list of songs i have on the phone.

So, while GPS was streaming perfectly normal i try using my music player that is built in and 30 secs into the song GPS CUTS OUT AGAIN. i tried the same thing with Sprint nav, and the SAME issue.

I tried this multiple times while driving, yes i only had 3g data most of the time but from my experience it it has to do with the way this thing is coded to be honest. It seems like when the processor is taking a big hit GPS prioritizing goes to the bottom of the list and everything else takes over. As soon as i stopped Pandora, or the built in music player GPS picked right back up without any issues.

This really isnt much of an issue for me because now that i am home i dont use GPS or Pandora that much while driving but I really do hope this issue is looked into.
This sounds exactly like my problem. Radio works fine with GPS, any music playing from the player and GPS dies.

Android 2.3.5, Samsung Galaxy WiFi 5.0

Mark Butler

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Just as a side note, I had recently gotten a tape adapter to use for audio. Upon reading another forum, I re-tested without it and the problem exists. It seems to be that the GPS signal is only lost when music is playing out of the external speaker...

Not sure why, but HTC is looking into it.
This particular one is different from my issue. My GPS drops are with headphones.