1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Accounts & sync - Facebook

When I go into the "Accounts & sync" section and click on "Add account", I see an option for "Facebook" and "Facebook for HTC Sense". Can someone explain the difference between these and do I need to set up "Facebook" in addition to the "Facebook for HTC Sense"? Thanks!

I have been wondering this myself! Anyone?

I think "Facebook for HTC Sense" is the one you want, it imports contacts and their phone numbers and whatnot into your phone's contacts.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by kyleg View Post
    I think "Facebook for HTC Sense" is the one you want, it imports contacts and their phone numbers and whatnot into your phone's contacts.
    Yeah it is definitely doing that since that's the only one I have enabled right now. Do you know what the other one does?

I think Facebook for HTC Sense is for friends stream and integration with other HTC apps and the plain Facebook is for the official Facebook app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by jam4775 View Post
    I think Facebook for HTC Sense is for friends stream and integration with other HTC apps and the plain Facebook is for the official Facebook app
    So what do I lose by not having the regular Facebook account set up? I have the Facebook app from the marketplace, so I assume that is completely different.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

It has been HEAVILY speculated (nearly proven) first by incredible users and now by some of us EVO users that facebook for HTC is one of the root causes of poor battery life. A few incredible users suggested that it had a bug that made it update constantly no matter if you had sync on or off and no matter what you set the sync interval to, the only way to stop it was to either root or do a factory reset and not re-enable it. After doing a factory reset and not re-enabling it my battery life has more than doubled. I'm currently at 8hr 43m unplugged with 62% remaining after using the phone semi-heavy through the whole day. Before the factory reset the phone would get to 0% in about the same time frame.

There is debate on whether or not it is the factory reset or the not re-enabling FB for HTC that is helping battery life, but all I know is that 12+ more hrs of battery is more worth it to me than having my FB contacts synced and a live wall feed so I'm not taking the risk.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by modplan View Post
    It has been HEAVILY speculated (nearly proven) first by incredible users and now by some of us EVO users that facebook for HTC is one of the root causes of poor battery life. A few incredible users suggested that it had a bug that made it update constantly no matter if you had sync on or off and no matter what you set the sync interval to, the only way to stop it was to either root or do a factory reset and not re-enable it. After doing a factory reset and not re-enabling it my battery life has more than doubled. I'm currently at 8hr 43m unplugged with 62% remaining after using the phone semi-heavy through the whole day. Before the factory reset the phone would get to 0% in about the same time frame.

There is debate on whether or not it is the factory reset or the not re-enabling FB for HTC that is helping battery life, but all I know is that 12+ more hrs of battery is more worth it to me than having my FB contacts synced and a live wall feed so I'm not taking the risk.
    So if you remove the "Facebook for HTC" account and add the regular "Facebook" account, does it sync the contacts? I'm trying to figure out what the regular "Facebook" account actually does.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    So if you remove the "Facebook for HTC" account and add the regular "Facebook" account, does it sync the contacts? I'm trying to figure out what the regular "Facebook" account actually does.
    No it does not for me. I wish I could have just the pics synced for the contacts already in my phone, but not worth the hit in battery life imho.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Ok, so does anyone know what the regular "Facebook" account does if you set it up?

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Ok, so does anyone know what the regular "Facebook" account does if you set it up?
    Are you even able to add the regular facebook account? When I press the button, it doesn't do anything.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Basically lets you view your fb account and all your friends when you launch it, similar to m.facebook.com but much faster and with seemingly more features for me.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Are you even able to add the regular facebook account? When I press the button, it doesn't do anything.
    Good call. Not doing anything on my end either. I guess it's not necessary or the HTC version overrides it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Well, I tried to set up both and when I click the normal Facebook, it won't even let me do anything...