Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

Default No Copy/Cut & Paste in Gmail App?

they really need to fix this. was it fixed in 2.2 Froyo?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

i found a kludge workaround. if you need to cut/copy/paste from Gmail go to the Gmail via the browser. yes it's a clunky workaround but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    they really need to fix this. was it fixed in 2.2 Froyo?
    I believe that I saw somewhere that they did update to include this feature in 2.2. I am somewhat unsure but relatively certain. Meh ...

Coming from an iPhone, cut/copy/paste on Android is really disappointing. It only works in a few applications, and it some applications support it in different ways. It is just another illustration of the trade-offs between the two phones.

However, the HTC Sense UI specific copy paste implementation (which so far I have only noticed in the browser) is very similar to, but superior to the iPhone.

I hope that this is an area google intends to improve on in future versions. Certainly not a deal breaker, but frustrating.

I was about to post about this, thinking I was doing something wrong. It's ridiculous that you can't cut and paste out of an incoming email.

yeah i dont know how they left this out. but i'm using froyo 2.2 on my nexus and they included copy and paste now. so its coming in the update.

Bizarre. If you set up gmail in the sense email app, you can copy/paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    Bizarre. If you set up gmail in the sense email app, you can copy/paste.
    For this reason, as well as the ability to have email from my gmail account show up in the universal search, I have set up my account in both the gmail app, and the sense mail app.
    I just have the sense app update once per hour, and if I ever need to cut and paste I can pop into that app. Otherwise I exclusively continue to use the gmail app, but have the benefit of having the results show up in search as well.
    Something google should be doing in their own native app for sure.

Question.

Can you copy and paste a text message? If you can't..can you forward a text message (so i can then edit in it).

Or another question..if someone sends me an address in a text message, how can i move that dress to google maps efficiently?

Android 2.2 (Froyo) cannot come soon enough. I don't know if I can wait 7 months, they really need to put more resources on the effort so that I'm not forced to root my phone and install it myself.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CouchFisher View Post
    Android 2.2 (Froyo) cannot come soon enough. I don't know if I can wait 7 months, they really need to put more resources on the effort so that I'm not forced to root my phone and install it myself.
    Is it really supposed to be seven months before Froyo is available for the EVO?

Default Re: No Copy/Cut & Paste in Gmail App?

More like 4-5 months according to HTC. They said the Evo will have Froyo by christmas..... But we all know how HTC and sprint works.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Can you copy and paste a text message?
    Not in the default messaging app. However 3rd party messaging apps such as Handcent contain this ability.

If you can't..can you forward a text message (so i can then edit in it).
    Yes, text messages can be forwarded, and edited prior to sending in the default and 3rd party messaging apps.

Or another question..if someone sends me an address in a text message, how can i move that dress to google maps efficiently?
    Easiest way would be to use a 3rd party messaging app. I use Handcent and I can click any incoming text message and select "Copy message text", which I can then paste into maps.
    DougB541#CB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post
    Not in the default messaging app. However 3rd party messaging apps such as Handcent contain this ability.

Yes, text messages can be forwarded, and edited prior to sending in the default and 3rd party messaging apps.

Easiest way would be to use a 3rd party messaging app. I use Handcent and I can click any incoming text message and select "Copy message text", which I can then paste into maps.
    Thanks...very helpful.

I see why some people say android can be a bit "clunky". I think cause other phone OS's seem consistent across all apps and things. Android you almost have to put together for your own custom experience that you prefer.

I'm sure google is working on cleaning that up a bit but either way, i'd rather have options like that then just be forced to use whats provided to me.

Quote Originally Posted by teej51685 View Post
    Is it really supposed to be seven months before Froyo is available for the EVO?
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_dj27 View Post
    More like 4-5 months according to HTC. They said the Evo will have Froyo by christmas..... But we all know how HTC and sprint works.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    No, HTC said, they hope to be have all their devices moved to Froyo (well the phones that are getting it) by xmas.

meaning they are probably giving priority to their more popular devices and moving down the chain.

They seem to be moving pretty quickly on the upgrades to Froyo. The HTC Incredible is scheduled for a late July or early August upgrade and it's very similar to the EVO. Let's hope the EVO's upgrade isn't far behind.

Question.

Can you copy and paste a text message? If you can't..can you forward a text message (so i can then edit in it).

yes you can copy and paste a text message. just long press the message.

Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post

oops, wait, you sure the default text app cannot copy and paste? maybe the nexus is different, but i thought android messaging comes on the evo as well, which should support copy and paste as it does on the nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
    oops, wait, you sure the default text app cannot copy and paste? maybe the nexus is different, but i thought android messaging comes on the evo as well, which should support copy and paste as it does on the nexus.
    You can't copy the content of a text in one step.

But you can long press and forward it, then you can copy the text from the composition field before you send it.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

"copy paste it" will copy paste from anywhere on your phone

It copies text from any screen/app.

It requires a rooted phone

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    You can't copy the content of a text in one step.

But you can long press and forward it, then you can copy the text from the composition field before you send it.
    the nexus one built in messaging app has it in one quick step. i long press any text, whether i sent or received it, and a menu pops up with one of the options saying "copy message text". not sure why the evo would be different. though i'm running froyo but i believe it was present on eclair too.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
    the nexus one built in messaging app has it in one quick step. i long press any text, whether i sent or received it, and a menu pops up with one of the options saying "copy message text". not sure why the evo would be different. though i'm running froyo but i believe it was present on eclair too.
    Don't know what to tell you but the Evo doesn't have that option.

There is an option for everything else (eight in total), but no option to copy the message.

How do u cut n paste an email that has been sent to you even if you open gmail in browser? Ive got a samsung gallaxy s4

Hold down on a word for two seconds and the word should become highlighted with two blue cursors on either side of it. Move each cursor to where you want it and then click one of the icons above...one selects all and one copies to clipboard.

To paste hold down for two seconds in whatever app you are using and the "paste" option should come up.