Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Ok so no task killer right?

Than is there a way to stop apps from launching in the startup process? Like Sprint navigation which I don't use. Or like mp3 store which I don't use.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

You can root your phone and install the custom ROM in the hacks section. Otherwise, no there is not way to manage these apps.

Do you have a problem with Speed??? I dont like or use those apps either.. BUT. until there is a custom rom (please let me know if anyone knows of one) that basically just gives me the same functionality as the stock rom... i am not gonna root.

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    You can root your phone and install the custom ROM in the hacks section. Otherwise, no there is not way to manage these apps.
    not entirely true, TasKiller will kill sprint nav ect. But wont keep it from booting at start.

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

Why no task killer?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by liquidjesus View Post
    not entirely true, TasKiller will kill sprint nav ect. But wont keep it from booting at start.
    Based on the thread title, I was answering under the assumption that he had read the sticky and that he was looking for other alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMom View Post
    Why no task killer?
    Check out the sticky

PAGE 38 OF THE HTC EVO MANUAL STATES YOU CAN USE A TASK MANAGER!
    dont know why everyone is so scared of them

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

There's a "startup cleaner" app. Not sure if this will stop them from launching in the beginning. Haven't used it yet..

Phone History:
    • Motorola StarTac 130
    • Motorola v2288
    • Motorola V60
    • Nokia 6126
    • Nokia 6800
    • Blackberry Curve 8300
    • iPhone 2G
    • BlackBerry Bold 9000
    • HTC Evo 4G
    • Samsung Galaxy S2
    • Nexus 4

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by th3gh05t View Post
    There's a "startup cleaner" app. Not sure if this will stop them from launching in the beginning. Haven't used it yet..

carful most of them disclaimer that phone may not start correctly... or at all

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

Quote Originally Posted by EVOLICIOUS View Post
    PAGE 38 OF THE HTC EVO MANUAL STATES YOU CAN USE A TASK MANAGER!
    dont know why everyone is so scared of them
    You CAN do anything you like.. its open... doesnt mean its the best thing to do. If people are careful with the auto task killers, they can be helpful.. but seriously, if you are not having an issue with speed or usability of your phone, then why worry about it?

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

not scared, they are just completely unnecessary, see here why

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMom View Post
    Why no task killer?
    It's recommended NOT to use one unless you know what you're actually killing. Lots of people just download the app, set up one of the presets and they cry that their alarm clocks don't go off.

I've used a task killer since launch with no issues, but I kill apps manually and know exactly what I'm doing and it works well for me. Can I tell a difference between having 100mb of memory and 200+? Yep.
    .:HTC Supersonic | Kernel: HTC#10 | ROM: Myns Warm 2.2 (RLS3) | v OTA_Supersonic 3.30.651.2:.

just let it go.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Both are rooted, stock

If you absolutely need to kill something, it can be done through the applications settings. Otherwise task killers are unnecessary and can produce undesired effects if you don't know what you're doing.
    Rhoq

I've tried the phone with and without a task killer, and knew what I was doing with it and went through the time of setting up my ignore list and auto kill (at one time). I'd say with 2.2 just let the system do the work for you, since there's not much that you're going to gain by doing it yourself.

You'd be better off installing something like Spare Parts and seeing what is using your battery, or what is running in what context and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst_r View Post
    It's recommended NOT to use one unless you know what you're actually killing. Lots of people just download the app, set up one of the presets and they cry that their alarm clocks don't go off.

I've used a task killer since launch with no issues, but I kill apps manually and know exactly what I'm doing and it works well for me. Can I tell a difference between having 100mb of memory and 200+? Yep.
    I do the same.. I have ATK installed but I run it manually just a couple of times per day. I don't use it all the time but just to clean up a little bit after using the phone a lot...

I have been using startup cleaner and it seems to work. Boot is quick and no problem.

Today is my first day not using the task killer.. not gonna use the phone as heavy as i do and it seems to be doing okay.. honestly... i just got really sick of hitting kill tasks all day. Gonna let the phone run itself im getting the 3500 tomorrow anyways so i guess that makes the task killer obsolete anyways?

I stopped using ATK a while ago. I stopped getting crashes, random reboots, better battery life, and practically no force closes. Ditch the ATK. You don't need it unless you absolutely know what you're doing
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Really we had to bring this thread back? There are enough threads about task killers already that we really shouldn't need to be discussing it anymore.

It's your phone. Do what you want. Just know that the first thing people say if you have a problem is to stop using a task killer.

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    ROM
    Absinthe JB 5.1.1

If you're on FroYo, ditch the task killer. ATK worked great when I was running the stock rooted Eclair ROM, but, when I flashed the stock rooted FroYo ROM... everything went kinda crazy. Apps wouldn't close out, and I felt like I spent more time killing apps then actually using my phone. After I ditched ATK, everything started to run MUCH more smoothly.
    Left Android for the Darkside...
    Yes. I'm a proud owner of an iPhone 5S. Please don't hurt me

If I've helped in anyway... kindly show your appreciation by clicking that lovely "Thanks" button below ------------------------------------------↓

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Agreed Froyo doesn't need a task killer... Runs better without it.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

I never had a task killer. Even when running Eclair.
    </awesome>

THUS CONCLUDES THE TEST. no task killer was used all day and i unplugged the phone exactly 12 hours ago. i never got that much battery life with a task killer running and i use my phone pretty heavy so i was very shocked to see it still have 15% after 12 hours so i guess im converted to the no task killer side after all..

doesnt matter anyways seido 3500 tomorrow

Haven't used a task killer on my evo yet with no issues.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast