1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo 4G Screen Scratches!

ok now that we know our Evo's have gorilla glass, whats the best way to remove scratches from it? I ordered this scratch cleaning kit on amazon: Amazon.com: Novus Polish Kit, Plastic Polish & Scratch Remover…

in hopes it will remove my 2 moderate scrathes on my evo. to give you an idea on how bad the scratches are: I can see them only when I'm looking directly at it or at a good angle and outside in the sun or in a well lit room, I can feel the scratches only when I drag my finger nail across them not when I put my finger across them.

I've been trying to order the ZAGG invishield for evo 4g but they're sold out everywhere! I'm going to head over to ZAGG HQ (they're in my town) and see whats up.

Try rain-x solution. I've seen numerous videos where minor scratches were cleaned with it. Sold at your local wally world
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I will go to wally now!

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Just curious, how did you manage to get those scratches?

uhh...let us know when you screw up the screen even more.

i wouldnt use that stuff. that is probably a chemical solvent of some sort that strips away a thin surface layer of plastic/glass.

if there is a coating to protect the glass, you will probably strip it away with these chemicals.

if it scratches... then i highly doubt the evo have gorilla glass

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Man, ppl HE scratched it. Any glass service can scratch.

I thought gorilla glass ... doesn't scratch.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Glass service? You mean "surface"?

gorilla glass can scratch. anything harder than the material can scratch it.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

A scratch is a scratch. you can only do so much to fill it and make it "look" like it's not there.

Get the instead of Zagg.

You get 2 skinz for $9.95 for the screen only. They do offer matte and full body coverage.

Shipping is free with USPS First Class or you have quicker options.

It's very thin, strong, and resistant to fingerprints. Highly recommended!
    Greatest singer ever! Here!

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

i'd rather get the zagg ive used it for two years now never had a problem with it i don't understand why you would need a screen protector that comes with two that just tells me the protector is likely to scratch

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Obviously you haven't tried it as your reasoning is flawed.

How is it that one company offers something at a cheaper price automatically makes that product inferior.

I've used Zagg, Phantom Skinz, and Bestskinsever and they all do the job very well.

It's the difference in feel and price is what separates these brands.

Zagg is more thick, easily available at retail stores, but higher priced.

Phantom Skinz offers two skins and is thinner than the Zagg.

Bestskinsever sells one skin at $5.99, is the same thickness as Phantom Skinz, but does not prevent fingerprints as well as Zagg and Phantom Skinz.
    Greatest singer ever! Here!

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I use bodyguardz, it works great!!

Personally I wouldn't use any protector that involved water. We have already seen the damage that can do. Water and electronics do not play well together.

The Sprint screen protector works great.

And as for getting 2...its nice to have a backup. What if your screen protector gets scratched? If you don't think a screen protector will scratch then why don't they just make screens out if it vs glass?

I noticed 2 scratches on my Evo on the first day I had it....never dropped it, and never keep anything in my pocket except my phone. NO idea where they could have come from, but now I can only assume this glass scratches quite easily. Keep a protector on it at all times!

Also, BestBuy sells the Zagg shields.
    Last edited by ArkAngel06; 06-10-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nmelkon1 View Post
    ok now that we know our Evo's have gorilla glass, whats the best way to remove scratches from it? I ordered this scratch cleaning kit on amazon: Amazon.com: Novus Polish Kit, Plastic Polish & Scratch Remover…

in hopes it will remove my 2 moderate scrathes on my evo. to give you an idea on how bad the scratches are: I can see them only when I'm looking directly at it or at a good angle and outside in the sun or in a well lit room, I can feel the scratches only when I drag my finger nail across them not when I put my finger across them.

I've been trying to order the ZAGG invishield for evo 4g but they're sold out everywhere! I'm going to head over to ZAGG HQ (they're in my town) and see whats up.
    Hmm, I use Novus on my pinball machine's playing surface to clean and polish it, but I've never tried it on the glass. I would proceed with caution. I wonder, would the polish compound have an effect on the screen's sensitivity to touch?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

i tried brasso and now theres a smudge i cant get rid of, i saw a utube vid that said to use the 3m car polish in the black bottle to get rid of it.. sigh this is starting to cost me

Where did I miss the definitive proof of Gorilla Glass being used with EVO?

I was recently told by a Sprint phone "May I speak to a manager" guy that the EVO screen is Gorilla Glass, which he said, "Doesn't really scratch," even though I have a long crack on my EVO screen from just carrying it in my pocket with nothing else. (I've been so Honeymooning over it I haven't put it in my purse or backpack, or even in the same pocket as the headphones I use with it!)

My real question is:

Is there any way I can repair this?

The touch screen works fine over the crack, and I can't feel it with the pad of my finger, but it is noticeable when I slight my nail over it. It runs from the start of the glass on the top to over a third of the way down the screen, and shows some pixel reflection, especially on white backgrounds.

I'm willing to try at home methods, but do not wish to sand the glass down on the touch screen.

If it can't be repaired, does anyone know of any screen protectors that minimize the visibility? I've seen some that bubble on the screen, and others that are so thick they make the scratch stand out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Bogus7; 06-28-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Cool Re: Evo 4G Screen Scratches!

Quote Originally Posted by frank828 View Post
    uhh...let us know when you screw up the screen even more.

i wouldnt use that stuff. that is probably a chemical solvent of some sort that strips away a thin surface layer of plastic/glass.

if there is a coating to protect the glass, you will probably strip it away with these chemicals.
    It helps when you actually know the product you are talking about......Rain-X (R) is a super polish. It does NOT strip anything except certain inks. It is designed to fill in the pores that are natural in glass and make it super smooth. This allows water droplets to roll off with a breeze as low as 20mph. Being Alcohol based, it will remove things like alcohol based inks. So if you have any windshield decals on your phone, then it will wipe them clean.

I use both car wax and Rain-X to repair my dvd's and Music cd's that my kid scratches.

Check out steinheil ultra crystal screen protector. Goes on dry and looks and feels like nothing is there. 15 bucks for a 2 pack. I put one on my evo 3d on release day and still have not changed it. Been waiting and looking for a reason to use the second one but there is none.

EVO - LUTION 3D
    love my evo.