EVO vs. MiFI ?

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I currently use Sprint as my portable data, and have been thinking of jumping into the EVO and ditching my MiFi.

I plan on using it mostly as a tablet type thing ditch the MiFi and use the EVO to connect my laptop.

has anyone compared the (non 4G, obviously) speeds of the MiFi and the EVO?

MirrorMMO

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Its only been a few hours and it's quite early in the morning (IMO), so just wait a little bit longer, hang in there for somebody who can relate - sadly I can't.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have never used mifi, but i can tell you in the Chicago land area, i am out in the west burbs, i am not seeing too great of 4g speeds, 3g and 4g tend to have the same download speed but 4g has a little higher of a upload speed but not by much, and 4g jumps around a lot and 3g is pretty constant.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I've tested my EVO as hotspot against Overdrive. At home, I get a great signal and have a tower only a few blocks away. Am able to get up to 7Mbps sustained on EVO, typically 4-5Mbps. A friend has Overdrive (3G/4G Mifi) and we got minimum 6Mbps with 4G connection at same spot and up to 10Mbps.

EVO still is an effective hotspot device. You'll want to be charging while using it as it obviously will suck down battery.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 7Mbps cable modem and using a Buffalo router as a repeater for home. I was able to connect to PS3 and stream Netflix HD with no rebuffering. 4G is the real deal IF you get a good signal.

See more tests in first post here...
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/15481-post-your-highest-4g-performance-test.html

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I have never used mifi, but i can tell you in the Chicago land area, i am out in the west burbs, i am not seeing too great of 4g speeds, 3g and 4g tend to have the same download speed but 4g has a little higher of a upload speed but not by much, and 4g jumps around a lot and 3g is pretty constant.

How are you testing? Don't use the Speedtest app from market as it's not accurate with 4G tests. See link in my post above.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
How are you testing? Don't use the Speedtest app from market as it's not accurate with 4G tests. See link in my post above.

That is how i was testing it, i will go ahead and use the link in your post and report back in just a little while, i get 1-2 bars of 4g in my office and 3-max outside in the parking lot so i will report back in a little bit and let you know if the numbers have changed for me.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I just did the test you were saying Xenophone and used the same browser you were using also and this is what i got.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Also i am unable to see if the picture i posted will show or not because i am at work so if it did or doesn't please let me know, thank you.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, yourdogsdead, that was the photo i snapped of 4g from my office in the close west burbs of Chicago. When i am out on lunch i will snap one outside also to see if speeds increase and i will also do 3g speeds as well.

znep

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
One issue is that the Evo doesn't appear to support the use of PPTP VPNs from clients using it as a hotspot.

Not an issue unless you need that functionality... and if you do it sucks.

Also, if you don't have 4G coverage then obviously you can't use it and talk on the phone at the same time.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Alright guys, i am back from my lunch and with two photos of my 4g speed and 3g speed like i promised, i ran both of these while i was inside my local subway sandwich shop on lunch.

Welcome to Flickr!
http://m.flickr.com/photos/51007769@N05/4688938892/

Welcome to Flickr!
http://m.flickr.com/photos/51007769@N05/4688936924/

hope the links work this time, since i could not get the pictures to work and if they don't i hope someone is able to help me out again and thanks ahead of time if that needs to be done!

Last edited:

CP4

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Alright guys, i am back from my lunch and with two photos of my 4g speed and 3g speed like i promised, i ran both of these while i was inside my local subway sandwich shop on lunch.

Welcome to Flickr!
Welcome to Flickr!

Welcome to Flickr!
Welcome to Flickr!

hope the links work this time, since i could not get the pictures to work and if they don't i hope someone is able to help me out again and thanks ahead of time if that needs to be done!

I think the two links are the same...?

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
They look different on my screen, but i believe the top two are one screen shot and the bottom two are the other, if you hover over them you will see the links are to two different pictures. Sorry i am limited on how i can upload files here at work, i am doing everything via my Evo and gmail account and flicker and work computer with limited internet access.

CP4

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
They look different on my screen, but i believe the top two are one screen shot and the bottom two are the other, if you hover over them you will see the links are to two different pictures. Sorry i am limited on how i can upload files here at work, i am doing everything via my Evo and gmail account and flicker and work computer with limited internet access.

Thanks ... I think I might have been doing something wrong earlier, as the pics do indeed work.

6.81 M download speed and 0.81 upload on 4g, 2.32 and 0.31 on 3g.

Thanks for showing us the results!!

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Anytime and just for some input here, the 3g speeds are pretty much fast enough to do anything that i do via on the phone directly and it seems to be pretty steady no matter where i am. As for 4g it is still very jumpy for me and the speed seems to always be changing but on average the upload always seems to be higher and the download seems to always been around what 3g is if not higher.

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys, this is not a 4g vs 3g issue... I think we can all agree 4G is faster, regardless of device.

Since 4G is like an In N Out Burger, not every city has it, but you enjoy the ones when it is there, I really don't care about 4G in this case.

I also don't really care too much about simultaneous voice and data, since my AT&T phone is what I use for voice.

All I was asking is do you think the EVO is an effective replacement for the MiFi as a router?

My hopes was to use the EVO for emails, multimedia, and data when my laptop needs it.

I have been VERY happy with the MiFi, in cars, in airports, hotels, no complaints. I am already paying $70 for the MiFi data.

This will also let me get a smaller phone for voice, and I can leave work at home when I want to.

Thoughts?