Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Default Restarting my Evo - What am I doing wrong?

When I shut down the EVO, and go to turn it back on, it will not respond for the first 20 times <exaggeration> I hit the power button. I can't tell if this more related to a number of times that i press it or a certain amount of time that it needs to stay shut down. But it seems like forever when the thing doesn't start up.

Is there some sort of timer that won't allow it to start up until it has been shut down for x seconds?

The button must work because it wakes and sleeps everytime it is pressed.

Is it true that the only way to restart the EVO is to fully shut it down via the power button and then turn it back on? Is there no 3-button type thing (like Pre) or option to just restart instead of shutting down fully? Perhaps a great app with a restart button?

Same thing this morning. I thought my EVO was broken and wasn't going to turn back on after a complete power off.

you have to give it a bit to shutdown sometimes. Sometimes the green light will still blink, sometimes the screen is off but the phone is still on. I have also run into this problem.

Mine was doing this the first few days, but it has stopped now.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Mine started doing this also. I've always just pulled out the battery then restarted. I know thats not the best idea, but I get very impatient and after 30 seconds I cant wait any longer. Why cant there be a soft restart app/widget? I had one on my rooted Pre.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

is every adroid phone like this where you have to fully shut it down to restart it? Seems kinda silly, like 1980's. Every smartphone I have had offered a button or a software option to restart.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Default Re: Restarting my Evo - What am I doing wrong?

They may be crashing and not fully shutting down. Does the ligjt work for charging notification?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Everybody there's an app for that, if you took the time to look and stop complaining! The app is called fast reboot in the app catalog.

But that app doesn't actually shut down and restart the phone!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Its not crashing. The screen and LED are off within 10 seconds of hitting shut down. Then it just takes forever for the power button to work. When it works the power button only has to be held for 2 seconds or so, and the EVO 4G screen comes on like it should. When it doesn't work (like the first 30 seconds after shutdown or so), you can hold the button for as long as you want, press it repeatedly, dance a jig, but that thing is not turning on until it is good and ready.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Everybody there's an app for that, if you took the time to look and stop complaining! The app is called fast reboot in the app catalog.
    Thanks but the app u mention does not actually reboot. And the others I see need root access. I'm not trying to complain. But root access...to restart the phone....seriously? I think evo is great. I just don't understand this

An app required to shutdown the phone properly. That's a joke. That's basic functionality and absolutely needs to work. I like this phone but quirks like this really bother me.

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What are you shutting it down for? I've only shut mine down a couple times since I got it, twice to change the SD card and once for an app that required it. If you know you need to wait 30 seconds to restart it, why not wait 30 seconds? I haven't noticed any problem with restarting.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    What are you shutting it down for? I've only shut mine down a couple times since I got it, twice to change the SD card and once for an app that required it. If you know you need to wait 30 seconds to restart it, why not wait 30 seconds? I haven't noticed any problem with restarting.
    you're supposed to shut down to change the SD card?

Have this happening myself, kinda frustrating after 20 pushes of the button it still won't power on unless I plug it in ... whats the explanation behind this?
    Palm Pre 6-6-09
    HTC EVO 6-4-10
    HTC EVO 3D 6-24-11

My Phone Has 3 Camera's, How Many Does Yours Have?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by dsa1971 View Post
    An app required to shutdown the phone properly. That's a joke. That's basic functionality and absolutely needs to work. I like this phone but quirks like this really bother me.
    LOL, now that is funny.

Happened to me 1x. I pulled the battery, hasn't happened since.

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    you're supposed to shut down to change the SD card?
    I don't know if you're supposed to but if I have to pull the battery out of something, I always like to shut it down first if that is an option.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

Default takes awhile

Not sure if there's any way to avoid this. It's variable. Yesterday it took about 10 seconds to shut down, this morning about 2 minutes.

Here's what I do: Have the phone charging when you power down, and when the screen goes blank, unplug the adaptor. The green light will stay on even though it's unplugged. Once the green light goes out, then you know the phone is fully off. Holding the power buttong after that will turn the phone on.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

I really think it's software wrapping up, stalling or crashing upon shutdown. This started happening to me and I did a hard reset, immediately after I kept shutting down and powering on the phone. It never hung once. Before the first reset I had about 80apps installed in addition to what was on the phone so it's impossible to know what was causing the hang up. I will say that now I don't have any type of task management or auto task killer installed and never have this problem anymore. I also think the phone runs a lot better.