1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just did a scratch test.

Also the end of the video shows how my screen is coming up from the bezel

Enjoy.

Second video hopefully showing that there is infact no scratches on the phone.

I suppose I should put in the disclaimer that the phone is being returned to sprint because the screen has risen up from the bezel, and that is the only reason that I did the scratch test.

One last disclaimer. The point of this post is not to say hey you don't need a screen protector. I was just wanting to show how tough the Evo screen is. When I had my hero I never dropped it, never put it in a pocket with anything, and at the end had 2 hairline scratches on the screen.
    So if ya think you need a screen protector get one. Don't not get one just because of this.
    NOTHING IS SCRATCH PROOF!
    Last edited by Roman G; 06-11-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Watching that video made me cringe, but at least I don't have to worry too much anymore when I accidentally put my keys or coins in the wrong pocket. Thanks for proving the HTC Evo's gorilla glass of steel.

Sweet so the point of the screen protector is? LOL finger prints I suppose? Thanks for doing that test you would think they would advertise that as a huge selling point

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

I'm glad someone was able to test this. Now i'm glad i didn't waste any money on a screen protector!

It made me sit in the fetal position while watching it.
    However, great to know that getting scratches on this thing is difficult/nearly impossible during daily use.

I'm just worried about the lens on the back.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    It made me sit in the fetal position while watching it.
    However, great to know that getting scratches on this thing is difficult/nearly impossible during daily use.

I'm just worried about the lens on the back.
    I forgot to mention that I did the same thing to the back, but it lasted all of 2 seconds and it scratched.
    For the life of me I can't figure out why they would not use the same glass as the screen.

For some strange reason I want to test it out myself.

haha glad i didn't waste my money on a screen protector. its not like i put anything in the same pocket with my beloved evo anyways.
    CP4

Great to know this thing is that durable. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Sh3ngLong View Post
    Watching that video made me cringe, but at least I don't have to worry too much anymore when I accidentally put my keys or coins in the wrong pocket. Thanks for proving the HTC Evo's gorilla glass of steel.
    there is no gorilla glass in evo's....

Quote Originally Posted by Roman G View Post
    I forgot to mention that I did the same thing to the back, but it lasted all of 2 seconds and it scratched.
    For the life of me I can't figure out why they would not use the same glass as the screen.
    yikes!

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    there is no gorilla glass in evo's....

yikes!
    How do you know, did you not see what he just did to that screen O_o?

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Nice video; thanks!

I don't use a screen protector for this very reason; on the Mohs Hardness Scale, glass falls in between 6 or 7, while steel, nickel, copper, and even titanium are softer (lower on the scale).

Being an ordinal scale, glass scoring a 6 or 7 is at a minimum as hard as titanium, and at maximum, twice as hard. Of course, a softer object can still damage a harder object as a response to force when stress and strain force the atoms beyond elasticity and plasticity into fracture (as in a steel hammer impacting glass, or a nail being driven into the face of a cell phone).

Enough physics (it's been a long time since I took that in college!); it's good to know that the glass on the Evo is high-quality. Just don't put it into a pocket full of diamonds, topaz, or sapphires!

Good to know. Cool.

I don't feel like I wasted money on a screen protector. You can never be too careful. Besides, it was like $12. You might as well saying paying $7 a month for insurance on your $450 piece of equipment is a waste of money, too.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Thanks for doing the test. It's good to know the glass will hold up to some abuse. What really concerns me, is your screen rising up. I have a feeling they'll all do this at some point because of the adhesive behind it not holding up.

....was really hoping the camera lens used the same glass as the screen. smh

Nice thank you I got my protector for free and only use it against nasty finger prints.

Thanks for sharing that Roman!

I do have a question though: when I tried to get my Pre replaced through warranty (and I have TEP coverage), the repair center claimed that it looked damaged (it had several scratches and what they claimed looked like a crack).

Aren't you concerned that your local repair tech may also claim the same? Although, I must say, I cannot see any scratches on your video, so that may be a moot point in the end...

FTR, I simply drove downtown and have my Pre replaced on the spot, so it ended up being easier then I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorMMO View Post
    How do you know, did you not see what he just did to that screen O_o?
    Gorilla Glass is able to withstand much harder abuse than what Roman did.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Thanks for sharing that Roman!

I do have a question though: when I tried to get my Pre replaced through warranty (and I have TEP coverage), the repair center claimed that it looked damaged (it had several scratches and what they claimed looked like a crack).

Aren't you concerned that your local repair tech may also claim the same? Although, I must say, I cannot see any scratches on your video, so that may be a moot point in the end...

FTR, I simply drove downtown and have my Pre replaced on the spot, so it ended up being easier then I thought.
    Like you said I caused no damage to the phone except the camera lens, but that is bound to get scratched it's just a matter of time. I have my new one coming through sprint.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    Nice video; thanks!

I don't use a screen protector for this very reason; on the Mohs Hardness Scale, glass falls in between 6 or 7, while steel, nickel, copper, and even titanium are softer (lower on the scale).

Being an ordinal scale, glass scoring a 6 or 7 is at a minimum as hard as titanium, and at maximum, twice as hard. Of course, a softer object can still damage a harder object as a response to force when stress and strain force the atoms beyond elasticity and plasticity into fracture (as in a steel hammer impacting glass, or a nail being driven into the face of a cell phone).

Enough physics (it's been a long time since I took that in college!); it's good to know that the glass on the Evo is high-quality. Just don't put it into a pocket full of diamonds, topaz, or sapphires!
    Thanks Sheldon......BUZZINGA!!!

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Thanks for the video. I agree that the glass is very durable. I however, have big ole greasy mitts and the reason I have a protector is only for the fingerprints. They are almost non existant for me now. Without it, I was wiping the screen after each swipe. It was getting to be too tedious. Now, I wipe maybe once a day (unless I get the oils from my face on the screen, but that is nothing that a good shower can't fix - lol )

Quote Originally Posted by Roman G View Post
    Like you said I caused no damage to the phone except the camera lens, but that is bound to get scratched it's just a matter of time. I have my new one coming through sprint.com.
    That was a great test, thanks. I have a screen protector on my Evo and its got scuffs on it from pocket and the occasional coin in there (I try not to do that). Realistically I think my screen protector wouldn't stand up as well to that test as the screen itself does, however I still don't consider it a waste.

My saving point is always using a small circle of the screen protector material on the camera glass.
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - rooted but still stock for now.
    Nook Color running CM7
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Added a second video hopefully showing that there really is no scratches.