Finally got my HTC Evo! But, there are A LOT of angry customers out there!

CoryBantic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I recieved a call yesterday from my Sprint store letting me know that a shippment of Evo's had arrived. I was the fifth person on the waiting list so I got real lucky! There where over a dozen people in the store whom hadn't been on the list waiting to see if they could purchase one. Unfortunately, they didn't and before long a couple of customers got really angry and said tha if Sprint doesn't come up with a solution to this understock of phones they were going to switch to the iphone 4 next month.

My question is this: Do you guys sense that this could become a trend with disenfranchised Sprint customers?

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Nope....plain and simple, while Sprint offers the cheapest smartphone plan, people will deal with stock issues. Think about the ramifications with switching to another carrier with a plan that costs $100 vs $70. Over 2 year contract, that's $720. Although now the plan is $80 so the gap is closing.

cflynt

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Normally I don't chime in on stuff like this but I am bored and it is Friday! :) But like said, they should have pre-ordered to give an idea of the number nof units to produce in first wave. Nothing ticks me off more than planning a birthday party that requires a certain amount of supplies, and people don't RSVP so you end up being short. Regardless, yes this is a Sprint phone, but seriously people, Sprint doesn't make the damn phone, HTC does. How is it Sprints fault that they can't get enough units in to get the most sold phone ever. HTC is working their butts off to get more units out there, but hell work too fast and then you well get that one spark of happy customers getting their phones and a week later those same customers are mad because their phones are faulty. Really, get a clue. Be mad all you want, switch to the wanna be phone iPhone4, you aren't going to shed any of our tears. We know what the phone is capable of, we waited for it, we pre-ordered it, we own it! If you are willing to settle for 4th best heh, then by all means have at it. It isn't worth my time hearing you whine. Ok, rant over! Sorry, idle hands ya know! :)

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I love the.....do this or else i'm going to the iPhone thing.

I heard it over at Precentral a lot as well. Its like thats the ultimate diss if you get an iPhone. To be honest, no one would miss you.

markwoll

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
One of my co-workers was the same way about the Incredible.
He had to wait.....the world did not end, he got his phone.
I wish them the best of luck with the iphone if they choose not to wait.
The level of whine seems pretty high, sometimes I wonder if its the same everywhere.
It's like the phone is some sort of entitlement instead of a product/service package being sold.
The vendor sets the terms, the consumer makes a decision based on those terms.

With the extremely high rate of turnover of new phones, it does not surprise me that there are shortages.
On one hand you want enough phones on launch, on the other hand the manufacturer can make X number of phones for one customer without shorting another customer, all the while ramping up for the next new phone.
I don't think the importance of having a new phone model really rates the level of peevishness exhibited by some folks.

just my $.02

I am NOT saying that it seems like trolls are paid to invade rivals message boards, but some days it sure seems like it. Not this thread but just in general across many boards.

mark.

p.s. i have rotten traffic to bit#h about, perhaps that tempers my phone experience.

MrDSL

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Let them get an iPhone..they will pay twice as much for an inferior plan and probably go over the new data limit anyway and pay a big bill haha

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk!

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of EVOs here*. No wait, no delay, just stop in and pick one up.

Sprint.com also has them in stock for next day shipping.

EDIT: *"Here" is Chicagoland area.

TheOneAfter909#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Nope....plain and simple, while Sprint offers the cheapest smartphone plan, people will deal with stock issues. Think about the ramifications with switching to another carrier with a plan that costs $100 vs $70. Over 2 year contract, that's $720. Although now the plan is $80 so the gap is closing.

Quoted for truth

skeptic

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Sprint.com is currently out of the EVO. I did a preorder on tuesday at Radio Shack. It arrives today. I am expecting a call from them anytime now.

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
This whole preorder/launch day thing amazes me. I woke up on Saturday Morning walked into my local Sprint store and looked at an Evo, then came back about four in the evening and bought one. And this is the day after the launch when supposedly there were none to be found. I played the launch day game with the Pre and Modern Warfare, I will never do that again. If I need to wait, I'll wait.

anon(26928)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Same here, I left AT&T due to constant dropped calls, inability to make calls and poor Internet connection and I had the iPhone as well. I absolutely refuse to go back to AT&T even though the new iPhone 4 looks tempting.

I think they were just playing that card to get attention and make the sales people scramble to make them happy.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Good grief - a customer getting angry and threatening to get an iPhone 4 because the EVO is in hot demand, is really inane IMO, especially considering that they will have to live with and pay for their angry decision for 2 years, and the iPhone won't be available for sale until June 25th anyway.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
When I was at Best Buy on launch day (Friday), as I sat for three hours waiting on the slow system to conclude my transaction, I watched and listened to a steady stream of people who didn't pre-order come in and ask to buy an Evo. Each time, the BBY clerk told them nicely that they're all sold out, but that if they wanted, they could be put on a waiting list to get one on the 10th. Almost every single one of these people were upset to some degree, incredulous that they were sold out ("I see a whole bunch of 'em right there in your cabinet; why can't I buy one of those!" "Because those are all pre-orders, Sir!"), and none of them wanted to pre-order. One guy went so far as to say he wasn't going to leave the store until he got one, and that the whole business of pre-ordering wasn't fair because he was there and they had Evo's in the store, so he should be able to get one. When the clerk explained to him that they were already pre-purchased by way of deposit, he said he didn't care, and that it was BBY's responsibility to rectify the situation. He stood there for an hour and a half being a general pain in the ass before one of the clerks happened to say, "You know, you can order from bestbuy.com and have it next-day shipped to you. Do you want to do that?" The guy said that would be fine and the clerk told him to come in at 9:30 p.m. (their next available appointment) and she would help him with that. He said okay and left.

The sense of entitlement of some people is appalling. Those of us who were sitting there while the steady stream of people walked in and out all sat quietly and didn't look up or at these people because we were almost ashamed of having played by the rules and pre-ordered, having the sexy Evo's in our hands. There was nothing for us to be ashamed of, but I had the same feeling as when I walked through the streets of some poor third-world countries where I was a "have" and the others were "have-nots."

There were a few nice people who, when being told the phones were sold out, smiled and said, "Ok, no problem. Good for Sprint. I'll be back in a few weeks when the fervor dies down," but I can count those people on one hand.