Explain The Fee: "Premium Data"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure you can blame Sprint for that. Sprint has no control over whether or not BB employees are going to tell customers about the $10 fee.

In the two Sprint stores near my home, both clearly disclose the fee and the Sprint website has the $10 fee disclosure right at the top of the pop up window that lists all of the available plans.

It was also a big deal nearly 3 weeks before launch at their big party in NYC. It was in every review I read about the device in the 3 weeks from announcement to June 4.

I can't imagine the people who preordered and/or waited in line, got up at 6am and knew exactly what the phone was had no clue about the $10 premium data charge. NOW, some one who just walks into a Best Buy or Sprint store off the streets and their phone is 8 years old and falling apart just looking for a new phone.... Yeah that guy might be shocked to hear he has to pay an extra $10 a month.... I would say easily 99% of the people who looked into or have an EVO were aware of the charge...

Gigity

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I personally hope the extra cost portion of the EVO fails huge for Sprint, but that the size of the screen catches on. Getting really tired of browsing etc on a 3.5 inch screen.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
the $10/month subsidizes the hardware and the 4G build out and investment. and it's still cheaper than the 3G competition.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh Kitty I fully agree... That is business... I work in a business that has a bunch of exclusive deals where I am the only game in town... If carriers didn't get exclusive deals eventually you would have one major player and a bunch of others fighting for scraps....

I have no problem with that at all.......... if you want an iPhone your at the Mercy of AT&T..... If you want an EVO your at the mercy of Sprint.... Want a Droid........................... Verizon....

I was just replying to the fact he said it was ridiculous that he was at the mercy of Sprint with the EVO....

I went with AT&T because they had the iPhone and then I wasn't happy with AT&T over the 2 years... Sprint works better and I love the EVO.

Like I told Brett.. use the EVO for 30 days if you TRULY don't think your getting a deal on what your getting..... Go get an iPhone 4 and I hope that works out for him...

I will get to try the EVO as soon as mine comes in. I have two lines set for an upgrade, so I have two evos on pre order. If sprint doesn't back down on the fee I intend on returning them both and dropping Sprint altogether. I already know there is nothing "rich" about the data experience of this phone outside of a 4g market.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I will get to try the EVO as soon as mine comes in. I have two lines set for an upgrade, so I have two evos on pre order. If sprint doesn't back down on the fee I intend on returning them both and dropping Sprint altogether. I already know there is nothing "rich" about the data experience of this phone outside of a 4g market.

Nice. You don't even have one and you already know there is nothing rich about the data experience? It's a heck of a lot faster and richer than the hero I had for two weeks. You should cancel your preorder and get in line for the iPhone 4 because before even having one you have your mind made up the $10's is too much for you. I would have a very hard time returning mine over $10 a month.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

No way I would have even ordered or got on a preorder list for a phone if I wasn't at least pretty sure it was worth the extra $10... The time involved with returning and then switching to another carrier and then having to switch around my autopay/billpay for a new account would be worth at least $50 right there..... not to mention the time you took to preorder and then sit around and wait and wait for some thing your already sure isn't worth it... WOW..

gksmithlcw

Software Engineer
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
If Sprint didn't tell you bout the extra fee than you're full of it. Every store I went to asking bout the phone's plan told me bout the $10 fee and then when i went to sign up the reminded me bout the fee and asked me if I was sure.

I'm not full of it. Sprint /didn't/ tell me about the fee. I knew about it because I'd researched it beforehand but Sprint never mentioned it once.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice. You don't even have one and you already know there is nothing rich about the data experience? It's a heck of a lot faster and richer than the hero I had for two weeks. You should cancel your preorder and get in line for the iPhone 4 because before even having one you have your mind made up the $10's is too much for you. I would have a very hard time returning mine over $10 a month.

I currently have a Samsung Instinct that I purchased on its release day. I bought into Sprint's marketing bs that this phone could compete with an iphone, but was highly dissappointed when i discovered that an iphone with a cracked screen and bad battery was superior to this turd. I buy a new phone once every two years so I was starting to decided earlier this year what new phone I was going to go with, and I try to get the latest and greatest phone possible. I had my mind set that the iphone was for me since sprint's lineup was lame until I read about the EVO in late March. Until May 13 I had convinced myself that the EVO was for me, but Sprint included this BS fee. I have since decided to give the EVO a chance, but I want this $10 fee removed until Sprint can get 4g in my area. If Sprint refuses then I have no choice but to return the phone and go with a provider who provides all the services they are charging me for.

Do you know why I am sure this phone is not a "rich" enough data experience for me? Because by the time Christmas comes around this phone will be old news. By the time I will begin looking into new phones this phone will be completely obsolete totally changing its "data" experience when compared to newer, nicer phones. Sure today its the best, but I don't want to buy a phone in a year to maintain a "rich" data experience because it is forever changing. In 1995 a rich data experience was a 100 MHz pentium and 12 mb of ram. Today its completely different. The bottom line is this charge is for 4g, and I either want Sprint to bring 4g to my area, or not charge me for it.

Last edited:

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
i had an instinct aswell and comparing an instinct to an evo is like comparing ford to a lamborghini, there is no comparison.
stop whining about the xtra 10 bucks
oh and everything will be old news by the end of the quarter if your lucky it lasts that long

Phoenix Rev

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you know why I am sure this phone is not a "rich" enough data experience for me? Because by the time Christmas comes around this phone will be old news. By the time I will begin looking into new phones this phone will be completely obsolete totally changing its "data" experience when compared to newer, nicer phones. Sure today its the best, but I don't want to buy a phone in a year to maintain a "rich" data experience because it is forever changing. In 1995 a rich data experience was a 100 MHz pentium and 12 mb of ram. Today its completely different. The bottom line is this charge is for 4g, and I either want Sprint to bring 4g to my area, or not charge me for it.

Why work yourself up into a dither over the fee?

You already know that Sprint is not going to cancel the $10 fee just because you want them to nor because you are threatening to walk. Every single wireless company faces customers like you who think that the threat of leaving has them trembling in their boots. They aren't.

Oh, they may give you a one time $10 credit in order to appease you, but they aren't going to scrap their cash flow just because you are angry and want them to.

I hate to break it to you, brett, but you are not that important. You are one customer offset by another customer like me who has no problem paying the $10.00 fee as it was clearly disclosed. I had a choice right then and there. I could either take it or find another carrier and another phone. I am choosing to get my EVO and stay with Sprint and pay the $10 even though Phoenix is not even on the list for the 4G upgrade at the current time.

Why not just save yourself a lot of stress and cancel your order, be patient and get your iPhone 4?

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
he doesnt have an evo sohe has no ide wht a data rich experience is... he is comparing it to his samsung instinct
there is nothing to compare there
your going from a glorified messenging phone that can view the web to a smart phone

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Why work yourself up into a dither over the fee?

You already know that Sprint is not going to cancel the $10 fee just because you want them to nor because you are threatening to walk. Every single wireless company faces customers like you who think that the threat of leaving has them trembling in their boots. They aren't.

Oh, they may give you a one time $10 credit in order to appease you, but they aren't going to scrap their cash flow just because you are angry and want them to.

I hate to break it to you, brett, but you are not that important. You are one customer offset by another customer like me who has no problem paying the $10.00 fee as it was clearly disclosed. I had a choice right then and there. I could either take it or find another carrier and another phone. I am choosing to get my EVO and stay with Sprint and pay the $10 even though Phoenix is not even on the list for the 4G upgrade at the current time.

Why not just save yourself a lot of stress and cancel your order, be patient and get your iPhone 4?

Are we speaking about the same company here? You know, Sprint, the one that has been shedding customers by the thousands for a long time now? I suspect they will do what they have to in order to keep me. If not they will lose me. Its not that big of a deal.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
he doesnt have an evo sohe has no ide wht a data rich experience is... he is comparing it to his samsung instinct
there is nothing to compare there
your going from a glorified messenging phone that can view the web to a smart phone

When the instinct was released it was supposed to be a data "rich" phone which is the reason Sprint gave me when they said I had to sign up for an everything plan in order to get it. My how fast things change in a couple years.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When the instinct was released it was supposed to be a data "rich" phone which is the reason Sprint gave me when they said I had to sign up for an everything plan in order to get it. My how fast things change in a couple years.

I have been in sales 10 years and your the type of customer I have no problem losing. You don't even have the phone and your already threatening to go some where else. If you were my customer I would wish you luck and even look up the number and directions to the nearest AT&T or verizon store for you.

Phoenix Rev

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Are we speaking about the same company here? You know, Sprint, the one that has been shedding customers by the thousands for a long time now? I suspect they will do what they have to in order to keep me. If not they will lose me. Its not that big of a deal.

You are one customer who has a chip on your shoulder before you even have the phone.

You are exactly the type of customer that Sprint will be more than happy to be rid of.

Contrary to your belief, Sprint will not survive or die based on one account from one individual.

But, by all means, keep complaining if it makes you feel better.

The rest of us are having a great time with the EVO.

Phoenix Rev

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been in sales 10 years and your the type of customer I have no problem losing. You don't even have the phone and your already threatening to go some where else. If you were my customer I would wish you luck and even look up the number and directions to the nearest AT&T or verizon store for you.

Indeed.

I always tell people who say, "If you don't do this, I am going to get a lawyer." To which I patiently reply, "Oh, okay. Let me get you the number to the Arizona State Bar Association. They can help you select one."

There is no better feeling than calling someone's bluff.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Samsung Instinct that I purchased on its release day. I bought into Sprint's marketing bs that this phone could compete with an iphone, but was highly dissappointed when i discovered that an iphone with a cracked screen and bad battery was superior to this turd. I buy a new phone once every two years so I was starting to decided earlier this year what new phone I was going to go with, and I try to get the latest and greatest phone possible. I had my mind set that the iphone was for me since sprint's lineup was lame until I read about the EVO in late March. Until May 13 I had convinced myself that the EVO was for me, but Sprint included this BS fee. I have since decided to give the EVO a chance, but I want this $10 fee removed until Sprint can get 4g in my area. If Sprint refuses then I have no choice but to return the phone and go with a provider who provides all the services they are charging me for.

The "Data Rich" experience is always going to change. Just like pricing plans are always going to change. AT&T just got rid of unlimited data plans because of the iPhone and iPad 3G.... Sprint charging $10 extra on the EVO is a reasonable charge considering your still getting unlimited data. I would easily guess like the iPhone EVO owners in general are going to consume more data than other smart phones. iPhones make up 5 - 10% of AT&T's customers yet eat up 80% of their data pipe. That is FACT and Sprint is going to charge a premium for that service. Just like Exclusive phone deals service plan changes are also the norm in the Cell business. I remember when Sprint was the first one to offer "No Roaming and No Long Distance" when they were just Sprint PCS..... Things change.. Phones change, Service plans change...

Now I tested out an Instinct when it first came out and knew after 5 - 10 minutes with it that was not the phone for me. I thought WebOS was great but the Pre hardware just didn't fit either. Same with the Hero... I went to the Sprint store 2 or 3 times testing out the Hero and I just didn't "FEEL IT" vs the iPhone.

I took a chance and ordered a Nexus One a couple of months ago and switched from AT&T and the iPhone to T-Mobile... Site unseen spend $550 for a phone.... I tested it out on T-Mobile and truly loved the hardware and Android but the network was worse than AT&T.. I was lucky and after 3 months I sold my Nexus One for $450 cash and put down a deposit on the EVO. I fully understood the $10 charge as it was thrown out there right up front.

Since Sprint offered 30 days at no cost to me to try out their phone and their network and since I truly loved the N1 and Android I decided to test out the EVO. I instantly fell in love with this device. It's flat out awesome and then some. $10 fee... Fully understandable because a combination of the device and the better network I am on it all the time. So I am easily consuming more data than I did while using that Hero for two weeks between when I sold the N1 and the arrival of the EVO.

Sprint is NOT going to give you any special $10 discount just to retain you. If the rumors are to be believed they added 100,000 new customers with the EVO and got roughly 200,000 upgrades/new 2 year contracts on this phone.

It's highly comical that you would even think they would entertain the idea.

And like some one else stated... your going to be very lucky if the EVO is still top notch equipment in 6 months. Like the N1 it will still be a top 5 device 6 months from now but other things will be out there with better "Spec Sheets" but for the immediate future the EVO will still deliver top notch "Data Experience" for awhile. It won't be obsolete in 6 months it just wont be brand new and still on top of the heap....

I bought a 55" Samsung LED... Top notch 8100 series.... I paid $3,200 for it... 3 months later it was on sale for $2,700 and 6 months later it runs $2,400 and they now have 3D LED's...... It's still a top of the line TV it just isn't the best any more... But it aint far behind....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Indeed.

I always tell people who say, "If you don't do this, I am going to get a lawyer." To which I patiently reply, "Oh, okay. Let me get you the number to the Arizona State Bar Association. They can help you select one."

There is no better feeling than calling someone's bluff.

Customers like Brett are more a thorn in the side than they are worth wild. I have plenty of customers like Brett and I just smile and I am very polite and friendly with them. I do what I can within reason and help them out when I can. But I don't go out of my way to help them and if they stop buying from me today I would actually have a feeling of relief run me over.

Now Sprint is a huge company and if you do complain over and over your going to get some one different each time. In my job I have my defined accounts and I deal with them all the time.... The squeaky wheel does not always get the grease. Some times it gets ignored and eventually thrown away and is replaced by a better wheel.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21