Contacts Storage under Manage Applications

ReproOne

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed that the Contacts Storage under Manage Applications has a data size of 30.76 MB on my EVO. I am wondering if it would be OK to Clear data, but I am not sure what all that holds?

Any ideas on what that contains and why it could be so large? I noticed

jpena53

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I would like an answer to this too since the size on the database has been growing exponentially it seems. A few days ago it was around 10 megs and its around mid-30's. :(

jpena53

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Bump. My contacts has grown up two more megs since last nights and I dont know why. Is it because I have people linked up to Facebook and it stores all of their online stuff? Right the size is 39.76MB and its 11:40am so I'll keep track to see how large the file gets.

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
yes i am wondering the same thing. i noticed that my contacts storage has grown and i havent added any new contacts or anything. when i first got my evo it was at 13mb i think. now its at 19. somethng is up and its not just the megabytes.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
What did you guys wind up doing? I'm having the same problem on my Droid Eris. I did the Clear Data with my Gmail when that was inflating and it didn't kill my Emails, but those are all synced with Gmail - many of my contacts are exclusive to my phone.

EDIT: I did determine (after backing up my Contacts and then clearing the data) that doing so DOES wipe all of your contact data. Those that are synced on Google or thru Exchange would reappear after a sync, but those stored only on the phone would likely not. My only guess is to store them all on a cloud somewhere - Google, Exchange, etc - and that may then work.

UPDATE: Those that are synced on Google or Facebook or Exchange, etc WILL reappear on your phone. My phone Contacts Storage went from 6.39MB to 1.71MB when I did this. Any contacts that were on my phone only were erased, but it was only a few that weren't synced somehow. If you do choose to do this then I highly recommend you back them up using one of the backup apps on the Market. I use Titanium, which is an awesome app, but you have to be rooted to use it.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
use caution - but i'm pretty sure that all of your Contacts will be re-synced if they are saved on Google - so it should be safe to clear data cache and re-sync. my guess is - just as an earlier posted stated - the Contacts file grows as links are automatically connected to each Contact to other Apps like Facebook, Mail, Messages, Calls, etc. and the residual data grows and grows.

to be safe - i would use the "Export" feature in the People App and export your Contacts somewhere before you delete the cache - just in case. you could also use a Backup app like MyBackup Pro.

good luck!