Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No Push Email On Evo Except From Gmail? Huge Plus for Palm Pre!

Well, I have been enjoying quite a few things about my Evo, but this is one huge fail that may be a deal breaker for me.

I migrated from the Palm Pre that allowed me to set up ALL email accounts to receive email as they arrive. I have the unfortunate pleasure of having three busy email accounts that need to be pushed at all times. The Gmail work around is not working well. Having emails scattered over two servers and making more accounts than needed is annoying.

I never expected Android to be so primitive in this department.

Yahoo Push and Mobile Me Push needed.

Download one of the many available email clients in the market for free. Android has choice.

Global Posts
    726 Global Posts

Try using mail Droid or k-9
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

K-9 looks horrible and has issues with attachments. I will look at droid.

I use Gmail for my home email. It pushes and receives just fine.

I then use HTC's Mail for my exchange. It pushes and receives just fine.

It may be messy to have two mail widgets going at the same time, but I actually prefer it. If I'm in a meeting, and I get an email, I can just turn on the screen without unlocking the phone. Based on the icon, I can check the work email right away, or check the home email later. Makes things easy for me, imo.

Default Re: No Push Email On Evo Except From Gmail? Huge Plus for Palm Pre!

Go to WWW.androidcentral.com and search "gmail push". It teaches you how to use gmail servers as push servers for all your email sans EAS cause that has native push and yahoo cause they (yahoo) charge a fee for push.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +

I'm wondering about my yahoo account. Why does it not have all my folders? This is big because I organize incoming email and I would like to be able to move mail around.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Go to WWW.androidcentral.com and search "gmail push". It teaches you how to use gmail servers as push servers for all your email sans EAS cause that has native push and yahoo cause they (yahoo) charge a fee for push.
    I have been using this method for a few days with one account. However, having to keep track of oddball usernames and passwords for gmail is a PITA. Also, it completely stops syncing the mail to the original server (yahoo .me) and stores everything on gmails end. This is not an ideal situation for me and will confuse the pants off my assistants.

Thanks for the tip. In most cases you are right, this will indeed work.

don't blame EVO blame yahoo.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I blame HTC and Google for making subpar email applications. If they want people to switch from iPhones, Pre's and BB's they need to get with this.

While the gmail app works good with gmai accounts, it is also limited and does not work well with folders and sent boxes.

I know none of you can fix this, but it blows me away that Android is still stuck behind the times with email applications. Having a choice is good, as long as the choices presented are viable options.

yahoo mail? it's not 1999 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    don't blame EVO blame yahoo.
    Exactly, we're talking push right, from the server side, not pull, from the phone side.

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Well, the EVO has a nice big screen, and you can watch movies & play game, and surf the web. With the EVOs screen size surfing the web is nice.

Also, not alot of people have more than 1 email account. Most people out there are concerned about watching videos, (youtube is huge), making videos, playing games is also up there.

That is what most of the phone makers are looking at, its a business, so they look were they can make the most money. They figure let other phone makers worry about the small percentage of people that need more than 1 email.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    yahoo mail? it's not 1999 anymore.
    Yes, I have been in business that long. Unfortunately, this is one address that if I were to terminate, I could potentially loose several returning customers.

No push in email client? That is long in the tooth as well.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by VKitty View Post
    Well, the EVO has a nice big screen, and you can watch movies & play game, and surf the web. With the EVOs screen size surfing the web is nice.

Also, not alot of people have more than 1 email account. Most people out there are concerned about watching videos, (youtube is huge), making videos, playing games is also up there.

That is what most of the phone makers are looking at, its a business, so they look were they can make the most money. They figure let other phone makers worry about the small percentage of people that need more than 1 email.
    I agree there are several advantages to the EVO over any other device on the market. Looking at things from a business standpoint, I would think they would want to cater to those that got wrapped up in Apples Mobile Me and capitalize on those tired of ATT. That's several millions of Americans.

Just thinking out loud...

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maven View Post
    Looking at things from a business standpoint, I would think they would want to cater to those that got wrapped up in Apples Mobile Me and capitalize on those tired of ATT. That's several millions of Americans.

Ya, but that is very little compared to the people that want there phones for Videos, Web surfing, music, and games.

Besides they figured they would be able to take very few of those business people, so they dont bother with features they feel are not important.

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

I wish I could have my AOL push instantly. Ive had that email address for 10+ yrs so its hard to change over to gmail. Any one have luck figuring out how to get AOL mail push as they come in?

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fraz View Post
    I wish I could have my AOL push instantly. Ive had that email address for 10+ yrs so its hard to change over to gmail. Any one have luck figuring out how to get AOL mail push as they come in?
    Dont know about Android, but a friend of mine said they did this on there Palm Pre (Plus)
    Software Engineer

Global Posts
    1,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 / Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by fraz View Post
    Forward it to a Gmail account. Then, set the Gmail account to send from your AOL address. Voila, complete integration.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

Software Engineer

www.gksmithlcw.com

I am coming from a Pre and must say I was very dissapointed by this as well. I think you might want to give k9 another try. I initially downloaded it and also did not like it, so I dumped it and then resigned myself to using the stock email with no push. that lasted a day and I could not take it anymore so I gave k9 another try. They have just updated it today and it has an integrated inbox, and has push!

Now if I could only find a nice widget to go along with K-9... Haven't found one I liked so far.. Any suggestions? I liked having the icon for mail and the number of unread emails on my homescreen. The K-9 one just sits there.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Former Pre User not liking Evo

Maven and Ghost, I agree that this email situation is unacceptable. I will try some of the free apps, however, my frustration with everything "Android" is that you either have to pay for something or deal with Ad Apps that run in the background and suck battery. I have an auto kill app and even with that about 15 apps are running on their own everytime I unlock my phone. Basic apps such as Mail should be standard AND ROBUST considering Google's gmail popularity.

Some of the Google-heads here discount this email situation, however, they better be careful. It is true that most users don't have more than one email and are looking more for the media stuff (in fact, i read somewhere 80% of teenagers only use email for registration and don't even check it - all they do is text), but a) the corporate market is just starting to leverage RT/offsite employee connectivity (a big market) and b) a great deal of teenagers get smartphones as hand-me-downs from their parents who DO care about email.

Evo does seem to be a lot faster than the Pre, but it is not as intuitive or functional, and it is ginormous. If the HP can provide some better Hardware for the Pre, I'd switch back in a second.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yahoo problems are caused by Yahoo. Yahoo just released an app made by Yahoo that should work with Yahoo just fine. I use maildroid and the dev is VERY responsive to feedback through the forums and keeps users updated pretty regularly about what's going on with the app.

If you really wanna know if maildroid can do push send him a PM through these forums since that's his primary means of answering questions and getting feedback.

Unless I'm not understanding something completely, though, push email is a server side service and an app on the phone wont' magically make it push. All the Pre does is poll constantly for email, and that's still pull, not push, because the phone is doing all of the work and eating battery horribly by doing this.

You think this might be due to the fact that you are using Android (which is a google mobile OS) and they have their own email (GMAIL). I can understand why they would make it so seemless with GMAIL push and not others.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by brichter45 View Post
    You think this might be due to the fact that you are using Android (which is a google mobile OS) and they have their own email (GMAIL). I can understand why they would make it so seemless with GMAIL push and not others.
    EAS is still an important feature that should be supported. HTC mail supports one account, only, and for some this is limited.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast