Fix for AUX port issues (Voice command pops up)

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've talked to quite a few customers, others on forums and even I my self have massive issues using my EVO in my car or at home with my stereo.

You plug in the AUX cable and it'll work for a little bit, seconds to minutes. But suddenly starts to skip and go crazy. The thing is picking up on the mic channel of the phone somehow which ruins all the fun.

This was such a issue to me I was questioning to return my EVO. :(

BUT fear not! Found a fix.

Since its a 3.5mm 4 conductor jack I figured there was something in a normal 3 conductor cable hitting the wrong pins or something. So if I elimite that microphone channel, all is well right?

Correct!

Hit up radioshack and found this little item:

Gigaware? Microphone and Track Control for iPhone? or iPod? - RadioShack.com

It inputs the 3.5mm 4 conductor plug and seperates the audio 2 channel with the mic seperate. ALlows you to use regular headphones with ANY phone essentially. (that uses the 3.5mm jack of course).

Tested this on my car, home stereo, and even a friends car just to be sure.

ALl played for a good 10 minutes with ZERO issues.

Best part?

7.99 through the end of the month at the Shack.

Thanks and etc if you wish, just glad to help!

:cool::rolleyes::):p:cool::rolleyes::);):p

Reactions: Kilvington26

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
sometimes I get the voice command to pop up, but more often the music app starts on its own when I plug in headphones. Is there a setting that allows the music app to open on its own?

HarlanNY

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Aha, that's interesting, and worth $8. I discovered this posting when I was talking with Sprint tech support about this issue. (They weren't previously aware of it.) I let them know about the hardware workaround, and will send them the bill and see if they're willing to refund me the $8! (Doubtful, but worth a try!)

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It works for talking on the phone while in the car and plugged in.

You dont get track control, and the voice features are pretty fubar.

Overall it does what I was hoping/intending for it to do.

HarlanNY

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, it fixes the problem with attaching to a powered speaker device, but the buttons for controlling an iPhone device don't work correctly for an Android device, unsurprisingly. Worth the $8, for certain!

eKennedy#AC

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
I ran ran down to Radio Shack right after reading this and it does seem to prevent the Google voice search from popping up. But I was wiggling the connector, and maybe hitting the button (I didn't know it was there at first) and Pandora started skipping songs. IN just a few seconds it started flashing the "you only get 6 skips per hour" message at me.

So it definitely does help, but I still need to figure out what I'm doing to make it skip songs.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah watch the button on the bulky part of the adapter. Its sensitive, and thats the only time I get any voice command popups anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34