Converting Video for HTC Evo

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
hey guys, long time lurker. i got the same problem as you types. how did you fix it?

i downloaded my dark knight digital copy wmv from WB and have both the PC and PORT copies on my HD. i then tried using dvdfab7 to convert using the settings that was suggested. the output mp4 is a garbled mess just like your screens.

the original PC/PORT files can only be played in windows media player. i tried vlc but i assume since it has DRM that vlc cant open.

any help is greatly appreciated.

I wasn't able to get my digital copies to work unfortunately, but i was able to convert my regular dvd's easily. If you find out how to make it work let me know lol

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Here's how they look after converting with dvdfab. The sound quality is excellent, I set my volume settings on the conversion option to 200% and the speakers were a lot louder than I gave it credit for. Other converters I used it made the audio too low. I'd record a video to show you if I could, but I doubt it will pick up the quality. Screen shots don't do the evo justice they look much crispier and sharper in person.

^ That's what I think of Disney's digital copies! I couldn't get it to work on anything (including wm player) till I converted it.

P.S. No more black borders :D

What converter did you use? EncodeHD? What video format can the EVO read? MP4?

volhater

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Movie sound but no video

I have moved a movie over to the EVO. I went to the video icon and found the movie listed. i tap to play and it came up with sound but no video. What am i doing wrong. the sound works thru the hole movie but no video ever shows.

Eastridge

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Dvd catalyst

I have been reading and trying many things (except for the ones that cost $40) to get my movies on my EVO. I finally tried the DVD Catalyst last night and it is absolutely amazing. It does take about an hour or so to get a full blown movine on there but it is worth it. And the software is on sale right now for $10.

Handbrake doesn't work as well. I never tried the others because I am not going to pay $40 to put movies on my EVO.

They don't have a setting for the EVO on there but they have HD2 which works wonderful. Give it a shot you will love it. And no I don't work for these folks.

Good day and I hope this helps because I have been looking for a week and a half.

cyberbec#AC

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I struggled with Handbrake, trying different settings. Sometimes the result was garbled video, sometimes audio with no video.

Some one on this forum recommend Magic DVD Ripper, which rips and converts in one (quick!) step. You can convert 5 movies for free before you need to buy it. The price is $34.99 - well worth it IMO.

It has successfully converted every movie I tried (about 8 now).

I just set the input location, the output location and filename, and choose the "iPod" preset.

And it's fast! A move that would take 1 and a half to 2 hours with Handbrake only takes about 17 minutes with Magic DVD Ripper.

Magic DVD Ripper - rip DVD to hard drive or blank DVD

biscodude

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I watched a DIVX encoded AVI on my EVO last night at a full 24fps! I found an app that it still in beta called RockPlayerBase and is currently in a closed beta. Here is a download of the app:

Rock(divx)Player.apk

You will need to select allow non-market apps in settings to install it.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Magic DVD Ripper

For those of you still struggling with how to convert a DVD you own for viewing on your Evo, this is another option.

I use Magic DVD Ripper (this is a commercial product but has a 30-day unrestricted trial), this program will rip your DVD to MP4 and resize the image output in one simple step. I found it easier to use than HandBrake, and will deal with most copy protection schemes; HandBrake doesn't.

Here are the settings that worked best for me:

1. On the Profile menu, open the profile editor and create a new profile (i.e., HTC Evo).

2. Enter the following parameters:
- Video Type: MP4
- Frame Rate: 30 fps
- Volume: original (or louder, your preference)
- Resolution: 800x448 (wide screen) - 640x480 (full screen)
- Video Codec: MPEG4
- Video Bitrate: 800 Kbps (good image, 1000 - or higher - better quallity but bigger file)
- Audio Codec: AAC
- Audio Bitrate: 96 Kbps (good sound, 128 better but bigger file)

Save the profile and select it from the list when ripping the DVD. On the average these settings produce files under 1GB. When encoding video, file size and quality are proportional; increasing the bitrates will produce better sound and image quality at the expense of a larger file. For the Evo, the bitrates suggested above are the lowest that produce a good quality video/audio for my taste on this small screen, YMMV.

When done, create a folder named Video (if not already done) and transfer via USB to the Evo's SD card. The file will show automatically on the stock video player, just tap and it will start playing.

Hope this helps...Carl

ResDog

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I watched a DIVX encoded AVI on my EVO last night at a full 24fps! I found an app that it still in beta called RockPlayerBase and is currently in a closed beta. Here is a download of the app:

Rock(divx)Player.apk

You will need to select allow non-market apps in settings to install it.

I grabbed this after reading about it on LifeHacker. It's the BEST all-around video player so far! Now all of my DIVX files are actually running 22 - 24 FPS and it's SLICK!

I've tried xyplayer and found it to be severely lacking. This program is fast, smooth and easy to use!

No more need to convert DIVX encoded AVI's for me!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have been reading and trying many things (except for the ones that cost $40) to get my movies on my EVO. I finally tried the DVD Catalyst last night and it is absolutely amazing. It does take about an hour or so to get a full blown movine on there but it is worth it. And the software is on sale right now for $10.

Handbrake doesn't work as well. I never tried the others because I am not going to pay $40 to put movies on my EVO.

They don't have a setting for the EVO on there but they have HD2 which works wonderful. Give it a shot you will love it. And no I don't work for these folks.

Good day and I hope this helps because I have been looking for a week and a half.

I looked at their website and don't see anything about copy protection. Pretty much all new DVDs have some copy protection. Will Catalyst rip these?

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
For those of you still struggling with how to convert a DVD you own for viewing on your Evo, this is another option.

I can vouch for that. I've had magic dvd burner/ripper for about two years and used it to put movies on my pre, ipod, psp, etc. I remember converting some of my movies to the itunes format which is .mp4 i believe and transferred it to my Evo right now and they play beautifully!! I highly recommend this software to everyone!

AndroidOne has put the directions up above if you guys have any problems. Good luck! Thanks AndroidOne for sharing

Ninjak

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have used DvdFab and Handbrake. They key is the kb ratio. The higher the number, 1500 for example, the bigger the file will be on your phone. After toying with different kb sizes, I have found if you are pulling from a actual dvd, 500 kb will be just fine if you use 480 size. If you use Max resolution, then try it at 800kb.

This will give you nice quality on your Evo, and also save you some card space as the movies will be about 500* or so megs.

jamesrreed

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
What are the minimum specs that we can encode a movie at and still be able to output via HDMI?

I have been encoding movies for about a year now using Handbrake. I thought that by choosing the preset iphone profile that I was encoding them in such a way that I could output via HDMI. Turns out I was wrong.

I can still watch all of my mp4's on the phone, just not over HDMI. I suppose because the resolution isn't high enough?

I just want to make sure that going forward I encode them the right way to work with HDMI.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What are the minimum specs that we can encode a movie at and still be able to output via HDMI?

I have been encoding movies for about a year now using Handbrake. I thought that by choosing the preset iphone profile that I was encoding them in such a way that I could output via HDMI. Turns out I was wrong.

I can still watch all of my mp4's on the phone, just not over HDMI. I suppose because the resolution isn't high enough?

I just want to make sure that going forward I encode them the right way to work with HDMI.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am having this EXACT problem. Its like my tv wants the video to be displayed in 720p only

well idk what just happened I got a movie to play, then I went back out to test another movie, and it stopped working for me. But I had a movie playing.. hmm....

Last edited:

EVO Navian

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I started using Super Converter recently. I was able to cut down my dvd video file sizes in half and the quality still look great in stock player. I used the same settings on handbrake and it made my files look like absolute crap.