Android 2.2 - how long?

Doc_d

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Any idea how long HTC will take to release an Android 2.2 update for these phones? I'm trying to decide if I should just wait or look at rooting the phone and doing it myself.

If it's going to be a month I'll wait. If it's going to be 3+ I'm probably going to do it myself. As I understand it Android 2.2 is something like 5x faster than 2.1 due to a new JIT VM.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Just root. If you aren't a total retard and can follow step by step instructions carefully you will be fine. Basic problem solving skills are a plus.

But seriously, go ahead and root the custom roms really are that much better and it has only just begun.

You will need to use toast method from xda.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well none of the other devices that came before it have gotten 2.2, so naturally they would come first. Plus our devices have HTC Sense, which always takes a long time to port over.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
There are roms with sense like damage control and fresh and there are asop roms although those need a few more weeks of work. There are also non asop roms but sense is mostly removed and everything in between.

The only roms not fully working are the asop. They mostly work but need some fixes. Everything else works great for the most part.

Nandroid / rom manager allow you to restore build so it is easy to switch back and fourth or go back if you end up not liking something.

Rooting info

[TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/ - xda-developers

Removing apps after root - allows you to further customize you rom
Apps that are ok to remove with root - xda-developers

Read read read and then read some more. Then try it. Its easier than you think but you need to read s little and pay attention.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
HTC has just said "Second half of 2010" on the EVO.. Pretty wide open.. That means any where from July to December.... Hate that I sold my Nexus One and then the next day 2.2 was out there.... Will just have to wait until it hits the EVO... Hopefully sooner rather than later... I figure but the time 2.3 hits the EVO will officially get 2.2.....

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought HTC was going to change their update schedule from now on...

That's what I liked about my Pre... would get updates quickly

Doc_d

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I guess I'm going to look at upgrading it myself. Is anyone running 2.2 yet on the Evo and if so what are your impressions? Is it as fast as they say it is? Do you miss Sense?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ugh. I could care less about Htc sense... I would take the update anyday.

And I already downloaded an installed like 40 Apps and would rather not lose everything when I do a full root.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Besides the Nexus One I doubt any devices will get out before the Evo.
Patience, Froyo isn't even officially released yet.

I don't recall any 2.2 roms being totally stable.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
It will probably take a bit but imo nowhere near the time hero users took to get and official upgrade. I dont see the jump from 2.1 to 2.2 to be as huge as upgrading 1.5 to 2.1 and then implementing sense. I see maybe like 2 months...

sracercelica

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I want to root and flash a 2.2 rom but the only one I have found has a lot of issues like cameras not working and mms not working. Is there any others out there that fully work? I could care less about sense but I do need the cameras.

qitupx

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I think

I have this theory it's going to be next month. Why do I think this? Well sprint said they are going to be releasing an update to fix the 4g hotspot issue for free. perhaps they are waiting to do this till 2.2 with built in tethering is in place so they can leverage it and not spend more money designing their own system? Just a theory...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463