Evo System Error 104

chicolance

Jun 13, 2010
www.orner.net
Alright, I want to make sure this is written down because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the web yet.

I've got a new Sprint Evo, and I'm getting "Error Code 104 .System Error." (see attached screenshot). Five calls to sprint later, reloading the data profile from "##" commands three times, and a full factory hard reset have still not resolved this issue. It seems to be a networking handshaking issue, and otherwise the phone and WiFi work fine. I don't live next to any 4G.

SprintSystem104Error.jpg

I can use data on my Evo for anywhere from 5-60 minutes, then connections will not be created, and no programs that use the 3G data will work. Sometimes it will fix itself after 5 minutes, it will also work again after a restart. Sometimes in the network system menu, it will say Mobile Network: Connection Failed (see attached). . This seems to be some sort of connection issue with my phone and Sprint.

SprintSystem104ErrorSettings.jpg

I was finally told to take this in to my local Sprint service center, which they were never able to reproduce the problem, even though, "I watched the rest of my baseball game on it.". I think the problem is in the connection handshaking, and the techs never saw the actual error message I brought the machine in with. I wasn't otherwise able to show them the error, but they offered several suggestions like, "It must be the cookies." and "You're an early adopter, so you must expect some problems." I was really trying to restrain myself when they either didn't believe me, or tried to blame me for the problems.

My previous phone was the Hero, which worked flawlessly, without any network errors the entire time. I've now given that to my wife, and despite multiple resets and data profile reloadings, still gets a "System Error 67", which I understand is common. But none of the usual remedies have solved it.

There may be something wrong with my network settings at Sprint, and there may be some sort of data conflict between my two phones. I can't get anybody to take this idea seriously, but it's the only other idea I have.

I haven't seen the "104" error mentioned anywhere on any board, and I want to see if anybody else has had/heard of this. If there is anybody at Sprint that can help, I'd also appriciate that. I'm going to start another round of calls with them if I get some helpful suggestions.

Thanks.

Lance

cmacelis

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
hmmm.. never saw that error msg before, next time you call have them change your NAI to see if that helps. Changing the NAI usally solves 90% of network issues. Let us know if that worked.

chicolance

Jun 13, 2010
www.orner.net
"You sending the Wolf? That's all you had to say!" -- Cleaned up Pulp Fiction

That's awesome. I did see a reference somewhere that a 104 error may be a CHAMP challenge issue, but I'm not sure what to do about that. Requesting the NAI change sounds like a good idea though.

This does seem to be a rare error, and the rare errors are the ones you keep struggling with Customer Service with. And the guy at the Sprint store that was making up the excuse that it might have been a bad cookie issue, despite this happening after a factory hard reset and accessing the Sprint web page. Grr.

--Lance

chicolance

Jun 13, 2010
www.orner.net
Calling Sprint and having them change my NAI then redownloading the data profile still hasn't changed anything. I still get a combination of 104 errors and 67 errors from what looks like the 3G connection handshaking. Data via WiFi works just fine. My wife's Hero, which used to work just fine when I had it, is also reporting Error 67 6-7 times a day.

Anybody have any other ideas?

--Lance

sqlguy33

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten the same message now twice today. Both times, after waking the phone up from sleep mode. The weather has been horrible here in Minneapolis, so I am not sure if it is a handshake issue of some sort, does it have to do with that, or maybe Sprint is doing something.

chicolance

Jun 13, 2010
www.orner.net
Sorry that you're in the same mess as I am, but, selfishly, it's interesting to note that I'm not the only one. I've now logged 8 service calls to Sprint, 5 profile reloads, 1 factory hard reset, and 1 walk into the local service center where they were unhelpful and proceed to tick me off (see above).

Good news: Calvin from Sprint, the one tech that I ended up getting twice, reset the MSID in the MSL record, and I've been testing it all day, and it does seem to have fixed the problem.

I'm very happy with the phone itself, and this never seemed to be a hardware problem, but something went wrong in the account setting in the transfer to this new phone. I hope this doesn't happen to too many new people.

--Lance

mikegoldnj

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just got this error about an two hours ago. Just happened out of nowhere. Tried to sync mail and got the message that the action requires a data connection. When I went into Settings/connections, that's when I got the sign in error.

chicolance

Jun 13, 2010
www.orner.net
Hold on. This afternoon, I've gotten 3 Error 67 and 2 Error 104, so this didn't fix the problem. I'll be back on the phone again with Sprint tomorrow.

If anybody from Sprint is monitoring this, I'm sure this is going to need some extra attention.

--Lance (lance@orner.net)

clorenger

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just finished a whole day where I had no data connection (but still had phone). I'm in a 3G area (Sacramento). Luckily, turning the phone on and off seemed to clear my issue for now.

I haven't seen the same error message you posted, but I have seen the "connection failed" on the Settings>Mobile Network area.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I also had the error yesterday. I cleared it up by using the widget to shut the network off, then re-enabled it. It took a few tries but it worked. I haven't got that error at all today. But, a new problem arose, my Evo locked up on me, but I think it was caused by one of the applications I installed. I am probably going to do a factory hard reset, just because I want to start from the beginning. Just like you, everything else is working fine, even WIFI, I have had no problems. I do think this is a software error, including the data call error. It is weird though, that problem happen after I called my wife. I ended the call, but, even though the call screen closed, the call never ended. I had bring back the screen, and hit end again. Right after that is when I got the error code 104 error. Again, I still think it is a software error.

chicolance

Jun 13, 2010
www.orner.net
Just to be clear, the data connection will come back if you power-cycle the phone, or simply turn the mobile data off and on. But when this happens every hour, that gets troublesome.

Called back again, this time, they "reloaded the data line", which I gather is some sort of reset on the data account. This worked. And it's been working for two days now without a problem.

My wife's phone problem has also magically disappeared. So somehow, I still think there was a conflict with my new phone on my account, and the old phone that used to be on my account that I transferred to my wife.

Done.

--Lance

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey chicolance, just wanted to make that the last thing solved your issue. I was having those data error 37 and 104 come up but I just had Best Buy give me a new phone since it was overheating and freezing anyways. I thought that solved the Data Call errors too but after a week with this new phone I started getting the 104 errors again.

anon(27931)

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Possible cause...

We've seen the 104 error complaint in the Sprint store where I work more and more over the last few weeks. I believe it is related to Data Roaming. All the HTC phones we've seen had that feature unchecked. Checking that has helped, though it's a touch issue to track. What remains to be understood is why that box is unchecked in the first place, and more importantly, what has changed in the network to make this suddenly an issue?

Reactions: RICESKI

RICESKI

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I had error 104 - plain - it was 'fixed' with a total reset. I am happy for now but if it comes back of course it won't be a permanent fix. for now I am happy.