How to control the Evo's quicked flash?

fifolo

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to control the Evo's aggressive flash? It wants to fire both flashes all the time, or so it seems, washing out way too many pictures. I am at the point where I might just take a permanent marker to it....

ArkAngel06

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It's easy to turn the flash off, but I really doubt theres a way to change brightness or limit it to one LED....I mean, no camera's have changeable flash brightness that I know of.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Regular camera flashes can be lowered in power. If you can lower the brightness of the LEDs that light up your screen, they should be able to adjust the flash on the phone. They could at least reduce it to just one LED. I guess you could try sticking your finger over one of them.

I've found that turning off the flash in some lower light situations actually results in good pictures.

Pity410

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Considering that "LED Desire Light" can adjust the brightness of the LED's I would think that this could be implemented into the camera somehow.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly the problem with the EVO's dual flash - it takes way too long for the camera to register all the light that's flooded onto the subject, so before that happens, the camera snaps the picture and you have a washed out photo. If you could delay the shutter long enough to let the light register, it'd be perfect.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
ps, I cut a small piece of electrical tape to cover one of the flashes.. it was still pretty washed out. There needs to be a delay between light metering and snapping the shutter. On most cams you can hold the cam button part way, then the rest of the way once the subject is rendered properly.

dahlberg123

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried putting something over the top of the LED's to diffuse the light, might soften things up a bit? Maybe a piece of tissue paper?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
when im using flash in complete darkness all i do is change the exposure setting to -1 and its all good.

This. Although it's called "Brightness" in the camera app, which can be confusing.

If the exposure is too long, the photo will be blown out. Just dial it down and the phone will use a faster shutter speed.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Theres an app called "incredilight" that works for the evo.

It has Low, Med, High settings for the flash/flashlight.

I dont know if theres a way to independently control the 2 leds, they may be on the same circuit, but there IS a way to control the voltage to the LEDs. ( aka brightness)

HTC just didn't incorporate it into the camera application.

Its proof of concept that deems that it IS possible. If a dev to re-write the camera app and include code it would work. Or if HTC decided to they could as well but odds of that are low.

Sounds like a project for someone =)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
One thing you need to do is make sure the camera is focusing on your main subject. It seems to use that subject, or perhaps distance to the subject, to control exposure.

So if AF is set to the background, and your subject is closer, it's going to be way overexposed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol