Jury Duty and the EVO!

What do I do with the EVO for Jury Duty?

• Total voters

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
so i have jury duty this week. what do i do with the EVO?

no camera phones allowed in the courthouse.

PLEASE SEE THE POLL.

Last edited:

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I had never thought about how the rules prohibiting cameras in many courtrooms would apply to smart phones. I'd call the Bailiff (or the contact number listed on your summons to jury duty) and ask.

I'd guess there is a fair chance you'll spend some time waiting to be called....Possibly inside a building with poor 3G (we won't even talk about 4G) reception (and that sucks the battery anyway). I'd have some good time killers loaded that don't require web access or sound. An ebook reader and a book or two that appeal to you would be a good option if you are a reader. Taking a spare battery isn't a bad idea, actually.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I had never thought about how the rules prohibiting cameras in many courtrooms would apply to smart phones. I'd call the Bailiff (or the contact number listed on your summons to jury duty) and ask.

I'd guess there is a fair chance you'll spend some time waiting to be called....Possibly inside a building with poor 3G (we won't even talk about 4G) reception (and that sucks the battery anyway). I'd have some good time killers loaded that don't require web access or sound. An ebook reader and a book or two that appeal to you would be a good option if you are a reader. Taking a spare battery isn't a bad idea, actually.

cameras are prohibited and i assume camera phones are prohibited too.

my phone is naked and i don't really want to give it to Uncle Otis the security guard who will toss around the 4.3" glass display phone like it's a baseball.

YouTube - Martin - Security Guard

i also don't want to leave the phone in the car all day in the summer heat.

Last edited:

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Get another phone that is not a camera phone, and us that one. Or bring a portable game system.

I would not want to give it anyone I would be to worried the whole time. What happens when you get sequestered?

dwightshrute

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Tell them that you live in another county and have been for the past two years and that its a mistake. I for one would NOT be without Georgia, I mean my EVO!

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had to leave my phone with the secuirty guard, and I've usually just lock it with a PIN, and since they can't get in, they leave it alone. oh yeah, and turn it off when you hand it over.

ddunn

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Find some kind of case that hides the camera lens, check it in the the tray though security and leave it in your pocket.

omgitsjordan

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
i've never had a problem with taking my smart phone with a camera in, just put it on silent or airplane mode when your in the courtroom. it might be a long wait and you'll be bored! i spent hours on mine :)

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad the court-houses in Harris County in Texas don't make you leave your phones at home or in the car. I have taken smartphones into every jury duty I've ever been called into.

RedhddOne

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If your courthouse is anything like mine...

Take it with you because there will be quite a bit of time you're sitting around with your thumb up your... well you get that idea...

Give it to the security guard before they make you go into the courtroom (and mine makes you turn it off before you hand it to them) I'd also make sure you have a lock in place as well just for "protection".

I've never had any problems (and I've been on jury duty 3 times in my life already) and it gives you something to do while you wait (bring headsets so you can watch videos!).

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Were you just called to see if you would be on the jury or are you already selected?

If you will just be waiting around to see if you are choosen you probably will be allowed to keep it.

I think they just don't want them in the courtroom itself while a trial is going on. I had my smartphone with me while I was just waiting around. Some had laptops with them.

Of course every location is different.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
yea i would just take it with you and keep it on silent or airplane mode, i wouldnt even leave it with the security guard

What happens when he takes it with him, and they tell him he can not have it?

My courthouse will tell you to leave it in your car as a camera/camera phone is not allowed inside, and you wont even make it pass security with it.

EVO Navian

May 31, 2010
Visit site
so i have jury duty this week. what do i do with the EVO?

no camera phones allowed in the courthouse.

PLEASE SEE THE POLL.

When I went for my jury duty, cell phones and laptops were allowed in the juror waiting room, but was required to be shut off if you were called in. Worse case scenario is if they tell you during security check in that it is not allowed at all in the building, you can leave it in your car.

The courthouse my husband had jury duty allowed phones in the waiting room, but not laptops. It's different for each courthouse. Mine had wifi for the jurors waiting :)

----

I wanted to add, try calling the office and see what they say. The weather where I'm at is unpredictable this season - sometimes hot, other days rainy and cold. If it's a hot jury day I'd keep it at home like some folks have suggested :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa