Visit site
mine takes pretty good picture.
4697275017_03109823a1_b.jpg

a bump in contrast with PicsayPro
4698534663_9c0237530a.jpg

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I do believe the person who started this thread got the reaction they were looking for. It really might be time to shut it down. Taking a picture is so much more than pointing and shooting. But camera manufacturers try to appease a lazy public by making them think it really is that simple. The EVO camera is sufficient in the right hands for good light low action scenarios. Outside of that and you are just asking too much out of a phone that has a built in camera.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I got to use my camera today finally....to take pictures of my car after being rear-ended :(

I will put them on here after I get them on Flikr, but they didn't come out too badly for a camera phone.

Tekka

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't care what anyone says, this camera is garbage. My 3.2 MP blackberry tour camera took better photographs. Every picture is so damn grainy. I thought this would replace a point and shoot...this is garbage.

The worst is that it sticks out of the phone! I would be fine with it if it was good...I'd be able to justify it, well it's a good camera that's why it has to stick out of the phone. But it's a garbage camera and it sticks out of the phone.

Ugh.

Had to rant.
I definitely beg to differ

strohmeier#AC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to upgrade to an EVO, but based on the pictures in this thread, the poster who pointed out that it's more about the photographer than the equipment seems to be right. As a photographer, I was thrilled to see the options you're given in a video review of the camera (the white balance especially, my Canon 5Ds can't even get that right on auto...)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Very nice picture of the flower.

A quick comment about my three pictures; the last one was taken with maximum digital zoom on the camera itself indoors. That's why I posted it; it's not the best the Evo can do, but it's better than many phones I've had in the past (and it was at max-zoom!).

The bottom line is that as akarol said, don't blame the camera for bad photos; you need to set up your photos to be good. You can't just expect a camera (even a $5k pro setup) to capture great images without some attention to the shot. Capturing photons is an art. Anyone can play, but few can master.

My Evo takes good pictures for those times I'm not lugging my pro equipment around (a trip to the store, a walk in the park with my wife, perhaps dinner with my kids) and I want to capture a memory or something interesting. For those moments, the Evo camera will suffice. Expecting more out of it is expecting too much.

Finally, do not equate more megapixels for higher quality; my D200 takes better photos than many 8MP point-and-shoots. In low-light, my D50 takes better photos than the D200. Go figure. It's the camera manufacturers that have marketed us to believe that higher megapixels equals better photos. This isn't always true (as we see with the Evo's 8 MP camera).

I also believe that if there were software to add time between the light metering and the actually snap of the shutter, the problem of "washed out" pictures would be solved. In other words, if there was one tap on the shutter button to auto focus, and illuminate with the flash, then another to actually snap the shutter ? this way you can see when the object is lit properly and snap the picture yourself, similar to the dual action buttons on other camera phones (and digital cameras) where you push part way for the focus with flash, then the rest of the way to snap the picture. Now if someone would just create this app, I'd give up the fact that it was my idea. :D

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have found mine takes pretty good pictures... Yeah not as good as the Nikon SLR I have but the SLR is also a boat to carry around all day.... I had a Nexus One for 3 months and I honestly felt the 5mp camera and single LED flash took better pictures than the EVO with 8pm and dual flash. In good light the camera is just fine.... It's in low light settings that the EVO camera needs some work. I have played around with the settings a little bit and it's hit or miss depending on what your trying to take a picture of. I can tell you with "Google Goggles" I have had hell with the EVO getting a good solid clean picture of a bar code.... With the Nexus One I always got the picture the first time and never touched the settings... Will continue to play with it..... It works though... The biggest thing with taking photos is you take a bunch of pictures and use the good ones.. Which is what I always do with my SLR.... I might take 200 pictures and only about 10 are worth sending or publishing any where....

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So here is a pic from the EVO.

4701013871_f2e082e45d_b.jpg

+1 to contrast, +1 to sharpness, and white balance set to daylight to give it that point and shoot feel. Had I shot it with my 40D I would have just done the work in PP to get the look that I wanted. But since this is the look most consumers are used to it is what I went with. :)

Last edited:

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It's a phone people. These pictures are unbelievable for a device primarily focused in communication rather than optics, etc. Bottom line, this is one of the best performance you'll get from such a device. Even superior to those "hybrid" phones you see around.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
that's a great pic, but try to get any closer and it's BLURVILLE.

Get any closer than that an I would be getting into the realm of macro photography. And to do true macro photography I would ned to use my DSLR with a macro lens and probably a macro ring flash to top it off. I could fake it with a point and shoot in macro mode but I would get nowhere near the detail of a professional setup.

The problem is manufacturers have gotten us to believe that we are photographers if we use there latest and greatest pixel pumping scene mode selecting tiny form factor device. This simply isn't true.

And to expect better than average results from a communications device is just unrealistic.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Get any closer than that an I would be getting into the realm of macro photography. And to do true macro photography I would ned to use my DSLR with a macro lens and probably a macro ring flash to top it off. I could fake it with a point and shoot in macro mode but I would get nowhere near the detail of a professional setup.

The problem is manufacturers have gotten us to believe that we are photographers if we use there latest and greatest pixel pumping scene mode selecting tiny form factor device. This simply isn't true.

And to expect better than average results from a communications device is just unrealistic.

You could always buy that magnetic macro lens for the Evo. Still not as good as a DSLR but better than nothing for me.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It's a phone people. These pictures are unbelievable for a device primarily focused in communication rather than optics, etc. Bottom line, this is one of the best performance you'll get from such a device. Even superior to those "hybrid" phones you see around.

I'd agree if I hadn't come from the BB Tour which took magnificent pictures... sorry that this theory of "it's just a phone" doesn't cut it for me.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd agree if I hadn't come from the BB Tour which took magnificent pictures... sorry that this theory of "it's just a phone" doesn't cut it for me.

Could you post a pic from the blackberry? So we can compare the two? I am actually surprise nobody else requested that.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I think I might be able to get my hands on a Tour for comparison. But here are three pictures. One from the EVO, another from my Nikon Coolpix S570, And yet another from my Canon 40D with a Sigma 70-200 Macro lens shot on full manual.

EVO
4701013871_f2e082e45d_b.jpg

Nikon
4701785400_6aef312e8e_b.jpg

Canon
4701785930_ce46f2a25d_b.jpg

Of course I can do more to control the details with my cameras but I can't make a phone call, send a text, search the web, or countless other things I can do with my phone which can also take a decent picture! :)

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Lighting makes a huge difference for me, the pre seemed to do a little better in low light. But in good lighting the EVO wins hand down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet