Camera really is bad

aaronpaul

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the EVO camera. Comparing the fine details in a camera phone pic is moot. They are all going to look like crap when you blow them up to full size, even from the Tour... Post a pic from your Tour and I'm sure we can find lots of fault in it too... I doubt it's "magnificent" when compared to a photo from a decent P&S camera.

Phone cameras have a tiny crappy lens with a tiny sensor and loads of compression. Getting something that takes decent images is good by current standards. i'd say most of the examples here are pretty darn decent.

Here is one of mine:
IMAG00071.jpg

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
The first photos I saw, before the release had me very scared.
Once I started playing with the phone and the settings I've come around.
Photos aren't camera quality for sure but they aren't as bad as I feared.
For what it's used for it actually pretty good.

imag0034n.jpg

No settings adjusted just started and clicked.

Raadius

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys are missing the point, nobody is comparing it to your high end canon, sony, nikon etc. we are comparing it to other cell camera phones and it's bogus to say the least. I have an HD2 as well, HD2 takes better pics, in better low light or well lit sections from time to time. They seriously need to update the camera app.

Even my old 2G iphone takes better pics in low light, the Evo 4G is a complete mess in low lit settings lol.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you post the same picture taken with an HD2 and the EVO for comparison? If you still have the 2G, it would be great to see one of those too.

scaryhumor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't care what anyone says, this camera is garbage. My 3.2 MP blackberry tour camera took better photographs. Every picture is so damn grainy. I thought this would replace a point and shoot...this is garbage.

The worst is that it sticks out of the phone! I would be fine with it if it was good...I'd be able to justify it, well it's a good camera that's why it has to stick out of the phone. But it's a garbage camera and it sticks out of the phone.

Ugh.

Had to rant.

I thought the same thing first time I turned the camera on. Then I noticed that I had not removed the cellophane from the lens before snapping on the body glove.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Great pics. I can definitely where the OP is coming
from, but the key is not thinking that more MPs
equates to better pics. My 3Gs took some awesome
pics, but only in well lit areas. My Pre on the other
hand takes some of the best pics if you're factoring
in day and night pictures.

I remember going to this Mexican restaurant in the
city with a friend and wanted to twitpic the food.
At first I took the pics just to take them and found
that they had taken some of the best pics I've
ever been able to take at night. The room was
candlelit and thought "Wow".

Fyahstarter

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Those of us who knew a lil' bit about photography never got so amped about the 8mp spec of the camera...at least I didn't. I knew that the sensor would be too small for such a high pixel count. But I will say that I've been able to take some decent pics with my EVO. One thing about the camera especially when using flash is that you have to wait for the camera to meter correctly. It's a lil' slow in metering, but once it adjusts then the flash will cycle correctly and usually won't over expose the picture. Just a tip for you guys.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You can't wait for it to meter properly, that's my point. You don't have any options - it meters, then snaps...entirely too soon.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the EVO camera. Comparing the fine details in a camera phone pic is moot. They are all going to look like crap when you blow them up to full size, even from the Tour... Post a pic from your Tour and I'm sure we can find lots of fault in it too... I doubt it's "magnificent" when compared to a photo from a decent P&S camera.

Phone cameras have a tiny crappy lens with a tiny sensor and loads of compression. Getting something that takes decent images is good by current standards. i'd say most of the examples here are pretty darn decent.

Here is one of mine:
IMAG00071.jpg

Hey... what settings do you use?

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What strikes me funny is people that complain that photos are not great in a $200 device that happens to do photos and a whole lot more.

It is a phone with a camera not a camera with a phone. It is meant to do what I call convenience photos, NOT capturing photos to print etc...

Hell even a simple, cheap, point and shoot camera has a much larger circuit board in it with a LOT more room for larger lenses, pop out optical focus, screens etc… The room for the camera lens and circuitry is very limited in any phone.

I know that some photos from some phones look better than the Evo. I am also sure that some photos from the Evo look better than some photos from other phones. Point is there are a lot of factors, lighting, settings etc... I think it is fine for its intended purpose.

Could it be better compared to other phones, maybe, but it is what it is, and what it is, is not that bad overall.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Could the camera improve with firmware and software updates?

Yes... it is possible. But some parts of
the camera can't be improved with f/w
updates.

I'm not a camera expert, so I will not
make an attempt to discuss what those
are.

Predator-1

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
My Palm Pre took better pictures! This is my ONLY gripe with this device. The camera is crap and its hella slow! After i snap a pic, it takes about 3-5 seconds before i can snap another pic. SUCKS!!!!!

dahlberg123

May 21, 2010
Visit site
My Palm Pre took better pictures! This is my ONLY gripe with this device. The camera is crap and its hella slow! After i snap a pic, it takes about 3-5 seconds before i can snap another pic. SUCKS!!!!!

That's strange, I can take a picture every 1.5 seconds or so with a flash @ 8mp and even quicker when the flash is off.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

that is the "review" setting. you can turn that off so it doesn't show you the picture you just took after each shot.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
that is the "review" setting. you can turn that off so it doesn't show you the picture you just took after each shot.

^--+1, what he said.

Turn the review off and it takes photos VERY fast! Also remember it may be a "bit" slower as it has to write the data to the SD card as opposed to the Pre's internal memory. With review off I find it about the same speed as my Pre. I find the quaity about the same as my Pre as well. The Evo also has a ton of settings to play with.

When I get a second I am going to take the same photo side by side with my Pre and Evo and post them. Now I am curious as well. i:Di

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy