Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Default Camera really is bad

I don't care what anyone says, this camera is garbage. My 3.2 MP blackberry tour camera took better photographs. Every picture is so damn grainy. I thought this would replace a point and shoot...this is garbage.

The worst is that it sticks out of the phone! I would be fine with it if it was good...I'd be able to justify it, well it's a good camera that's why it has to stick out of the phone. But it's a garbage camera and it sticks out of the phone.

Ugh.

Had to rant.
    Last edited by Jerry Hildenbrand; 06-14-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Let me edit that title for ya ;)

People will say its a phone, but on some level I agree. Even compared to my palm pre... given that I was expecting a step up... the camera and video capture are not at all that exciting to me.

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Setting the ISO from 200-400 makes the photos night and day better. Just giving you guys a heads up. Cause after changing to 400 on my Evo, it took way better pictures then my Pre ever did.

Evo takes better pics than the Pre, even though the Pre's camera was a lot faster in processing the image. With all camera phones, good lightning is key.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

I appreciate the tip but nothing is helping this. I can't speak for the pre, just the tour, but I can say that the tour took forever to focus and take the photo. But at least when it took a photo, it was good! This, I mean...I don't even understand...well I do understand, it's cheap and it says 8 MP on it, it's a selling point. It shouldn't be. I have a feeling the new iphone camera is going to put this to shame, it's 5 MP will make this look like a joke because frankly I feel like anything can make this camera look like a joke. I've tried every iso setting possible to just take a picture of my bed in a well lit room and everything is soooo grainy, not even looking at it in full resolution either!

Again, sorry...I just had to rant (again). I feel better now. LOL

In the evo's defense, everything else is great. But wow do i hate this camera.

Taken with my EVO 4G. Can't deny that face!

Uploaded with

Nothing wrong with a witty rant every now and then. We're fools if we think the phones are perfect.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Quote Originally Posted by forumsid987 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, this camera is garbage. My 3.2 MP blackberry tour camera took better photographs. Every picture is so damn grainy. I thought this would replace a point and shoot...this is garbage.

The worst is that it sticks out of the phone! I would be fine with it if it was good...I'd be able to justify it, well it's a good camera that's why it has to stick out of the phone. But it's a garbage camera and it sticks out of the phone.

Ugh.

Had to rant.
    Have you tried to make adjustments in the settings? Are you referring to the pics using a flash?

I don't discount your experience at all ... but I'm pleased with the clarity of my photographs...especially those taken in daylight. I'm still figuring out the most effective range of the flash, however.

Here's a pic taken last weekend on Shaw Island...up in the San Juan Islands in northern Puget Sound. It was a gorgeous day.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Banned

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Oh I have, I kid you not I took over 200 pictures using every different setting and I wasn't happy...and I don't even have that high of expectations, I just want it to look at least as good as the 3.2 MP from a BB Tour. Even the photo above, I mean it looks good on first glance but note the following things:

1) It's low resolution, that means it had a lotttt of pixel averaging to look that clear

2) The hair on the ears and the area in the top right corner are totally washed out.

That's just sad to me.

Its a phone and it has the advantage of taking decent pictures. The Tour obviously had a better camera than the Curve because the pictures that came out of that thing were only good for MMS. Not even facebook worthy. I don't think this is a bad picture coming from a phone, it would have been better had I changed the ISO from auto to a lower setting and also changed the white balance to cloudy instead of auto. Its good enough that I don't feel the need to carry my camera everywhere just in case I see something worth taking a snapshot.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

I don't think this one is too bad:

Or this one:

I took this one of my daughter using the zoom feature of the phone:

It can't touch the quality of one of my Nikon DSLR's, but for a camera, I'm pretty pleased.

Great pictures for a camera phone.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'd say those are pretty good... OP, have you tried cleaning the lens?... can make a night and day difference.

pictures arent that bad.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Banned

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

@ Edge767: First photo, nice. The rest, grainy. Very grainy.

@ rufflez: Definitely tried cleaning the lens

@ Everyone: I guess I can see where you're all coming from in saying it's not bad for a camera phone, but based on what sprint said and what I expected from the # (8MP) I thought I wouldn't need a point and shoot anymore. Thing is, a 5 MP slim casio is sooo much better. My blackberry tour didn't give me such grainy images either. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by forumsid987 View Post
    @ Everyone: I guess I can see where you're all coming from in saying it's not bad for a camera phone, but based on what sprint said and what I expected from the # (8MP) I thought I wouldn't need a point and shoot anymore. Thing is, a 5 MP slim casio is sooo much better. My blackberry tour didn't give me such grainy images either. That's all.
    You have to realize that a camera phone will never fully replace a camera. There simply isn't enough room for optics and a decent sized sensor to rival that of a dedicated camera.

Just curious, what made you think it could replace your point and shoot? 8 MP? Cramming more pixels into a tiny sensor is generally more detrimental than anything else. Unfortunately, it's a great selling point as the casual user generally think the more megapixels the better.

I just ask because every review I read said the camera was a step up from most camera phones, but none even hinted that you could throw your point and shoot in the closet as you won't need it anymore...

Agree, the camera is a disappointment. I didn't expect it to set the world on fire, but really, my Nokia N95 generated much better images. And didn't suffer from the flash from hell that ruins half of them right out of the gate. Putting an 8mp sensor in jut to inflate the specs is self defeating.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Megapixels don't mean jack.

I really wish the Evo had a great 5.0 MP camera rather than a mediocre 8.0 MP camera.

My Palm Pre @ 3mp took crystal clear pics. These pics with my evo in bright day light are very grainy when viewed at actual size! Id rather have a lower mp camera that takes clear pics rather than 8mp that takes grainy pics.

Some people need to understand that megapixels only indicates how many pixels are contained in the image. It gives absolutely no indication of the quality potential of the camera. Optics and processing have way more to do with the actual image quality.

I'm not sure if camera phones all use the same sensor size or how they're really built, but I know in the past with DSLR's that when a manufacturer would increase the megapixels while keeping the sensor size the same (increased pixel density) , noise (grain) would usually increase. Enough that some photographers purposely stayed with the older, lower megapixel model to avoid the increased grain. So in that sense, some actually considered an increase in megapixels to be a negative. Of course other technology comes along and/or improves to eventually offset that and allow higher megapixels to be achieved in the same size sensor with less noise.

So it could be that the increased pixel density (8 megapixels) is actually hurting the EVO's picture quality by adding noise. I can't really say as I've never been one to take many pics with my cell phone and the few I have taken with different phones all looked relatively crappy.

EDIT: Also, the lower your ISO value, the less noise (grain) you'll get. You may want to manually set it to the lowest setting if you're in bright daylight. The EVO's autoISO should do that automatically, but maybe it's setting it incorrectly.
    Last edited by rockdawg; 06-14-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Added comment

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Phongables View Post
    pictures arent that bad.

Did you change your camera settings to get pictures like that? If so what did you change? My evo shots cannot touch those photos you have on there.

Pics from a friends wedding this past weekend

I wouldnt say really bad camera, but gets the job done. default settings again. i think it might be the autofocus on the camera. Its just trying to focus too small of the field perhaps?

ROM
    Mean ROM

I actually think my camera is really good, we were all commenting on it this weekend.

My phone takes amazing pictures, even in bars. That sucks that not everyone is having the same experience. I'm not getting grainy pictures st all
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast