1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How long does it take your 4G to turn on?

Not to actually connect to Sprint, but literally - how long does it take your Evo 4G to get past the "Turning On..." prompt when switching to 4G from 3G/WiFi?

Mine is taking at least 30 seconds, if not longer...is this normal? I've already had terrible, terrible 4G service in my area (even though the map shows full coverage where I reside...dead zone I suppose.)

Is there anything wrong with my phone, or is this normal boot up time for 4G useage?

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

that's normal

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

That's sounds about right. It all depends on the signal strength of the signal in your area and at that time.

mmaguy you said it yourself, you got spotty signal strength. Remember 4g is still in it's infancy stage, even more so with mobile phones. I remember when 3g was the new thing. There was all kinds of service outages and spotty coverage even in areas that the maps said had full coverage.

Plus there still tweaking 4g towers and receivers. I'm still finding spots here and there in Philly that my 4g coverage just drops out. It's most likely to do with buildings getting in the way of the signal.

Just remember we are all pretty much "beta" testers for this phone and for 4g service on mobile phones. So give it a bit of time it can only get better.

yep takes a while for the info to populate while 4G is turning on

30 secs is a breeze vs the 3 mins of the palm pre i used to have to deal with

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    30 secs is a breeze vs the 3 mins of the palm pre i used to have to deal with
    The OP is talking about how long it takes for the 4g radio to turn on and connect.

Your thinking about a full device reboot. The EVO is faster at booting up but not by much. Say maybe 30 to
    50 seconds faster.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
    Just remember we are all pretty much "beta" testers for this phone and for 4g service on mobile phones. So give it a bit of time it can only get better.
    Happy to be on board...just curious

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

Hey m8, I'm new to Android myself. But over the last few years (more like 10) I've been an early adapter to alot of "cutting edge" and phones and have had a few that well.... we all.know.what follows.

30 seconds or longer here on Maui

Also sometimes signal drops or is erratic

I'm still test driving before my ink dries on the contract

I mainly connect to my iPad

If I bail it will be back to iPhone 4

Lovin the 4.3 screen though

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

About 20 seconds here in Vegas, then again we have one of the best 4G networks
    Want to video chat on Fring ? Read the How-To guide here :
    How-To Video Chat on Fring !

If you need someone to help you test Fring out find yourself a Fring buddie here !
    Fring Buddies

a tenth of wat the Pre took. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by bdarknessb View Post
    a tenth of wat the Pre took. -_-
    You had a Pre with 4G? Bet you could sell it for a Mint on ebay.