Playing mp3's from the web...

2JZfan

May 6, 2010
Visit site
There are some podcasts which I would like to play through my EVO that are linked as .mp3's off a web page. If I click on them it kicks off the media player and after saying "Loading..." for a few seconds it says "Cannot play video". So then I thought I would try to download the .mp3 to my sdcard and play it from there. No luck on that either since I can't find a way to download a file instead of trying to open it directly. So for this seemingly very simple action - playing a .mp3 from the web - I'm not really sure what else to try??

Thanks,
Jeff

2JZfan

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Update, this appears to only be a problem when the .mp3 is password protected. Somehow the authorization is getting dropped when the content is handed off to the media player or something. Seems like a bug in the browser and/or media player. I will try posting on a dev/bug list.

2JZfan

May 6, 2010
Visit site
First you say it's an .mp3 then you say it's a video. Which is it?

Thanks for assuming I don't know my head from my ass... everything I wrote is exactly correct. I click on an MP3 and then the media player says "can't play video".

After reading on the developer lists this is a known bug in Android and has been around for a LONG time. The browser does not pass credentials off to external programs so the username/password that I have given the browser doesn't make it to the media player and thus the media (song/video/etc) cannot be played. The only solution at this point is to use Opera (or some other browser) which isn't trying to kick off the media player directly but instead allows me to save the file to the SD card. After saving Opera asks if I want to open the file and at that point media player works since the file is local and doesn't require credentials.