On my 2nd Evo, More problems

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got my first Evo last Thursday, Like the phone but my Sprint reception was horrible, Data was unbearably slow most of the time. The phone seemed to never keep a constant signal. My uploads were always triple my download speeds. If I went inside a store I would lose signal and start roaming, but it would take forever for the phone to switch out of roaming once I left. Talked to Sprint and they sent me a new phone. I got it today and so far it seems alot better. As I was rearranging my home screens I noticed while looking at both phones that my replacement Evo had an extremely dull slightly green washed out appearance while my original one looks very nice and Vibrant. I checked the display settings and they are both on automatic brightness. Any thoughts? I also noticed that the power button is recessed farther in on the replacement making it hard to push. I really don't want to have to try an exchange it again. Thanks.

Last edited:

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to see if there are any color adjustments besides brightness, but i can't seem to find any? All Whites look kinda off white or washed out

Rich Rasp

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I was trying to see if there are any color adjustments besides brightness, but i can't seem to find any? All Whites look kinda off white or washed out

It may have something to do with the light sensor. Some units are more sensitve to light. My EVO and my buddies EVO, both in the same room with same lighting and his will adjust brighter than mine due to his light sensor being slightly off. The only advantage is mine is better in battery life...

dodgeram02

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I got my first Evo last Thursday, Like the phone but my Sprint reception was horrible, Data was unbearably slow most of the time. The phone seemed to never keep a constant signal. My uploads were always triple my download speeds. If I went inside a store I would lose signal and start roaming, but it would take forever for the phone to switch out of roaming once I left. Talked to Sprint and they sent me a new phone. I got it today and so far it seems alot better. As I was rearranging my home screens I noticed while looking at both phones that my replacement Evo had an extremely dull slightly green washed out appearance while my original one looks very nice and Vibrant. I checked the display settings and they are both on automatic brightness. Any thoughts? I also noticed that the power button is recessed farther in on the replacement making it hard to push. I really don't want to have to try an exchange it again. Thanks.

ya im waiting for BESTBUY to get some in so I can exchange mine.My screen is dull also..I looked at the BESTBUY display unit..it was like night an day.theres was very vibrante and bright an crisp..mine looked horrible compared to it..HTC SUCKS..what they do use half descent parts an half garbage...lol

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
ya im waiting for BESTBUY to get some in so I can exchange mine.My screen is dull also..I looked at the BESTBUY display unit..it was like night an day.theres was very vibrante and bright an crisp..mine looked horrible compared to it..HTC SUCKS..what they do use half descent parts an half garbage...
lol
turn off automatic brightness. Best buy has their display on max brightness.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
turn off automatic brightness. Best buy has their display on max brightness.

I tried to turn off automatic brightness, but I still couldn't recreate the color and sharpness of my other one. Whites are all off white and the picture is not Sharp. I doubt Sprint will even believe me if I call them about this. Where is the light sensor located? Funny thing is I'm posting this from my Evo and for about 4 seconds when my box to type came up the screen got real bright and clear and whites were white like they should be, then they went back. Very frustrating. Before my Evo I got a defective incredible from Verizon, now I have 2 Evo's and an incredible sitting here and none of them are right.

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yup.....those washed out units are out there. I returned my original one from best buy yesterday. And I made the mistake of not turning it on in the store. It was very busy in there due to iPhone pre orders , anyway I fired it up in my car, and right away I noticed the washed out screen, along with a lot of space in-between the side where the volume rocker was....my first though was omg...dust is gonna get in there, sure enough, I spotted a couple of specs of dust in direct sun light when I opened my sunroof.

Luckily I didn't drive off, and spent maybe a good 5 min checking it out, right back into best buy I went and showed the manager, he was apologetic, and said that the only one they had besides that one was a pre order waiting to be picked up. So I asked for my old one back, and that was that. I got in there just in the nick of time, they throw away the box and put the defective phones in zip lock bags. I'll deal with my light leakage and sunken in sleep button until HTC gets there heads out of there butts and sends some well made units.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
@steelers1, you're being paranoid man. I think 90% of those symptoms are in your head. NOBODY else has had those issues with their phone. And I highly doubt you got two defective phones back to back.

I think you have Palm Preoritis. I was the same way with it... but I had reason to be.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
it's probably that gray gloomy Pittsburgh sky. a new EVO can't fix that.

Lol, actually I'm in Iowa not Pittsburgh but I wish I was. In reply to the other posts I tried to take a picture of the problem but it didn't show up well enough in the picture and it is definitely not OCD. I have had many cell phones and never had to return a single one until these 3. My incredible had a very well documented audio problem with digitalized sounding words and it would cut out all background noise and you would miss the first and last words of what the person you were talking to said. My first Evo just wouldn't keep a signal and roam where it shouldn't and data speeds were slower than dialup at times. This one is fine just the screen is washed out. Does anyone know how to tell which Sprint stores are corporate ones?

auburnmk

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The Sprint website indicates at least Service Centers, which are corporate. I'm lucky to have one 5 minutes from me.:cool:

Lol, actually I'm in Iowa not Pittsburgh but I wish I was. In reply to the other posts I tried to take a picture of the problem but it didn't show up well enough in the picture and it is definitely not OCD. I have had many cell phones and never had to return a single one until these 3. My incredible had a very well documented audio problem with digitalized sounding words and it would cut out all background noise and you would miss the first and last words of what the person you were talking to said. My first Evo just wouldn't keep a signal and roam where it shouldn't and data speeds were slower than dialup at times. This one is fine just the screen is washed out. Does anyone know how to tell which Sprint stores are corporate ones?

auburnmk

May 15, 2010
Visit site
+1 on your issues being non-OCD. Like any greedy company, products are sometimes(usually) rushed to market and shortcuts are made. HTC rushed this one out the door because they and Sprint wanted to get the jump on Apple with the new iPhone release. Can't say I blame them, however I want my Evo to last more than 6 months....lol :cool:

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
@steelers1, you're being paranoid man. I think 90% of those symptoms are in your head. NOBODY else has had those issues with their phone. And I highly doubt you got two defective phones back to back.

I think you have Palm Preoritis. I was the same way with it... but I had reason to be.

I am not being Paranoid, The difference in the screen is night and day. If I was being paranoid I would just say my screen was coming loose and had light leakage which neither of my phones have had. Everyone I have shown the 2 phones to has noticed the same thing. One is off color and washed out, while the other is vary vibrant and crisp. I'm not blind yet.

auburnmk

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The Store Locator has changed a bit since I used it last. Any store that is listed as just "Sprint Store" appears to be corporate. Any other store is listed as "Sprint Store By ABC Company"

Hope this helps :cool:

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I am trying not get completely ticked off by your post, because here I am, still waiting on 1 unit, as of last Tuesday, and you have already had 2 of them... Just count your blessings...

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am trying not get completely ticked off by your post, because here I am, still waiting on 1 unit, as of last Tuesday, and you have already had 2 of them... Just count your blessings...

Just curious, where did you order it from? I don't know why people are getting it from anywhere other than Sprint.com, There is at least 5 Sprint stores in my town and they have never had them in stock and have huge waiting lists at each one, same with Best Buy and Radio Shack. If you order from Sprint.com today you will have it tomorrow and get free activation and overnight shipping to boot.