Having issues turning ON my Evo

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I've only had to power cycle the Evo a few times so far (Waze traffiic app locked it up today badly) and today in particular I had to yank the battery and wait before putting it back in before I could power on the phone. I'd hold the power button, but the device would never come on.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've thought that button might be a little touchy since I got the phone, but haven't given it much serious consideration until today, when I simply could NOT get it to turn on until after I yanked the battery for 15-30 seconds.

Thanks!

grizzlyaddams

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes exactly this.

I've honestly only shut the phone off via power button like 3 times. 2 of those times pressing the power button to turn it back on would not respond at all. Battery pull worked.

roheran1

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same issue power cycling the Evo. It seems like it just refuses to turn on long after it shuts down. Patience worked for me, I just left the phone alone for about 15 minutes and it turned on no problem. It's like the screen goes black but its not really done shutting down or something...

leo1977

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have had the same exact problem. My guess is the phone may not be shutting down all the way... so far the only solution has been removing the battery, then it starts with no problems.

rpeverything

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Give it a few seconds after you power it off, then press the power button twice quickly to turn it on. Had the same problem and it worked for me!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've shut mine off twice, I think, but no problems turning it back on those two times.

I think the advice to wait a bit is good. The EVO isn't just a phone, it's a computer. And just like Windows, or a Mac, it takes some time to stop all the services.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I've shut mine off twice, I think, but no problems turning it back on those two times.

I think the advice to wait a bit is good. The EVO isn't just a phone, it's a computer. And just like Windows, or a Mac, it takes some time to stop all the services.

That's the best and most reasonable explanation I've gotten. Just tried it now, shut it down and waited like 10-15 seconds, tapped the power button to turn it on and (poof) it came on no problems.

It's not like the old cellphones of yesteryear, I guess. :p

finsmaniac02

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I used to struggle with this a lot. 2 things that helped recently:

1) (as other have said) let it sit for at LEAST 5-10 seconds to be sure its totally done shutting off

2) Just do a normal to quickish press of the button, don't hold down. It takes a couple seconds after that but the screen does come on. It is definitely not instant to turn on.

The last few times I have done it that way and its been ok.

BTW, I generally turn mine off and then on once in the morning and try to go through a whole day without doing that. Do people find that its good to do that to give it a fresh start each day?

Part of my problem may be the I come from the endless tweaking/resetting of a windows mobile phone. On top of resetting at least once each day, I find myself compulsively checking my task killer (ATK) for free mem and apps to kill... I need to go cold turkey from all that stuff lol

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I rarely reboot the device. Certainly not every day. I see no reason to do so. I rebooted today because my screen wasn't shutting off after a minute. After reboot its working fine. Unless there's a problem, I probably won't bother.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I experienced this as well. I powered off my phone and went to turn it back on with no luck. Thought I detoured my phone! ! Took out the battery and then the issue was resolved. Today I required to replicated three issue but it was working. Weird.

finsmaniac02

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I used to struggle with this a lot. 2 things that helped recently:

1) (as other have said) let it sit for at LEAST 5-10 seconds to be sure its totally done shutting off

2) Just do a normal to quickish press of the button, don't hold down. It takes a couple seconds after that but the screen does come on. It is definitely not instant to turn on.

The last few times I have done it that way and its been ok.

BTW, I generally turn mine off and then on once in the morning and try to go through a whole day without doing that. Do people find that its good to do that to give it a fresh start each day?

Part of my problem may be the I come from the endless tweaking/resetting of a windows mobile phone. On top of resetting at least once each day, I find myself compulsively checking my task killer (ATK) for free mem and apps to kill... I need to go cold turkey from all that stuff lol

yeah I take all of this back, it really is hit-and-miss on how to get the phone turned back on. Sometimes a quick tap, sometimes a long hold, sometimes a double-triple-tap, etc. I don't know why it seems so inconsistent

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
On mine, after the screen turns off, I have to wait about 30 seconds before I can restart the Evo. By then, usually a quick tap is enough to restart however, the phone will take about 5 sec after the tap for the screen to turn on.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams