How did you layout your UI?

Doc_d

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm struggling with deciding how I want to layout the 7 pages of the UI. I found the stock layout to be a little weird and illogical. For example on the first page to the left they have a contact list of favorites mixed in with the widgets to turn on and off the different comminications (4G, Wifi, GPS, etc) which seems pretty weird to me.

I'm kind of a categorization and organization freak. So I'm just curious how other people orgranized all their widgets and apps. If you have screen shots that's a bonus.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
I've been obsessing over that too. I definitely use messaging, calendar and Mail a lot, so I have full page widgets for each of those. For music I have a 1/2 page widget, but I got rid of the huge weather/clock widget because the time is in the top bar anyway, and I like the Weather Channel app, plus I don't want an unnecessary widget possibly draining my battery faster.
I've got apps loaded up on one and a half pages, and that leaves me with two empty pages.

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm struggling with deciding how I want to layout the 7 pages of the UI. I found the stock layout to be a little weird and illogical. For example on the first page to the left they have a contact list of favorites mixed in with the widgets to turn on and off the different comminications (4G, Wifi, GPS, etc) which seems pretty weird to me.

I'm kind of a categorization and organization freak. So I'm just curious how other people orgranized all their widgets and apps. If you have screen shots that's a bonus.

you realize you can change scenes or make your own scenes(how widgets are arranged and wallpapers etc) just on one of your home screens press menu and select scenes and you'll have a choice of different scenes.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Yup. You can start with the clean slate and customize it any way you want.
I personally find 7 screens too many. I'm now using ADW.Launcher and have reduced my home screens to 3.

Left has GPS & power, middle has my most used apps , right had multimedia and a small weather app.
Makes for a very clean home.

bdarknessb

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Heres how mine is setup

ekf81w.jpg

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey, bdarkness, what notes widget is that?

/*
EDIT- Nevermind, I found it. For anyone else wondering; it is an HTC widget, available from the "Get more HTC widgets" option when you add a widget to your desktop. Widget.
*/

Last edited:

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How the heck do you access anything but your latest note in that widget? I don't see a way to bring them up - a la the Pre's cork board - other than deleting them to reveal the one underneath. I'm either missing something or this is a useless widget.

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
How the heck do you access anything but your latest note in that widget? I don't see a way to bring them up - a la the Pre's cork board - other than deleting them to reveal the one underneath. I'm either missing something or this is a useless widget.

Its like the HTC email widget: Swipe up to reveal the note underneath, swipe down to bring back the one above it. Not the best if you need dozens of notes, but for jotting down something while on a call, or for a place to trim down a copy/paste it does the trick!

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the email widget, so I didn't think to try swiping to riffle through them. (They should really have instructions for these things.) Cute. Thanked.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Home Screen = Big Default HTC Clock/Weather Widget along with - People, Calendar, Gmail, Messaging, Internet, Voicemail (my 6 Main PIM/Communication Apps)

Immediate Left Screen = 4G, WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth, Hotspot (the Power Sucking Feature Widgets to easily monitor and turn off/on as needed)

All other Screens = BLANK

i am a minimalist and hate clutter. i like to keep it simple.

finsmaniac02

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yup. You can start with the clean slate and customize it any way you want.
I personally find 7 screens too many. I'm now using ADW.Launcher and have reduced my home screens to 3.

Left has GPS & power, middle has my most used apps , right had multimedia and a small weather app.
Makes for a very clean home.

Quick question, can you use a diff home modifier (like ADW.Launcher) and still have access to the HTC widgets, and the HTC core apps (like the contacts and stuff are HTC, not standard android)?

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Quick question, can you use a diff home modifier (like ADW.Launcher) and still have access to the HTC widgets, and the HTC core apps (like the contacts and stuff are HTC, not standard android)?

The core apps are available (for instance, facebook continues to sync my contacts when using LauncherPro/ADW.Launcher), HTC apps (contacts, mail, etc) remain as well. But you lose access to the HTC widgets, which I missed enough to come back to Sense and stay.

You can still use the standard Android widgets or any third-party ones either way.

finsmaniac02

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The core apps are available (for instance, facebook continues to sync my contacts when using LauncherPro/ADW.Launcher), HTC apps (contacts, mail, etc) remain as well. But you lose access to the HTC widgets, which I missed enough to come back to Sense and stay.

You can still use the standard Android widgets or any third-party ones either way.

yeah some of the sense widgets are just really nice. The only reason why I want a home screen replacement is because I would like to be able to put some shortcuts on the bottom instead of just "phone" taking the whole thing.
Is there anyway to do that w/o getting rid of sense?

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I started out with a lot of big widgets and gradually found that I generally preferred using the space as an organized launcher, with only a little bit of active content.

I'm still evolving, but for now: pages, based on position in leap view:

center: big time/weather widget, plus 8 "instant use" apps based either on frequency of use or desire for rapid access when I do need them. Currently Camera, RPN Calculator, SecForms, 3banana, Gmail, Astrid, Calendar, Internet.

middle left: media/fun. app icons for Wordplayer, DoggCatcher, Pandora, Videos, Music, Flixster Movies, Gallery, etc.

middle right: internet and lookup apps: news, Tapatalk, Googles, Barcode Scanner, ShopSavvy, etc.

top left: Travel apps. Two 2-space time widgets: current location and home. Tripcase, Maps, Sprint Nav, etc

top right: Communications. Quick contact icons for 6 people, plus app icons like Voice, Messages, People, Call History

bottom left: System. Widgets to toggle Airplane, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, 4G, Ringermode. LED Light, Setting Profiles app and Setting Profiles widget. Spare Parts, Astro

bottom right: not used yet

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca