Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How did you layout your UI?

I'm struggling with deciding how I want to layout the 7 pages of the UI. I found the stock layout to be a little weird and illogical. For example on the first page to the left they have a contact list of favorites mixed in with the widgets to turn on and off the different comminications (4G, Wifi, GPS, etc) which seems pretty weird to me.

I'm kind of a categorization and organization freak. So I'm just curious how other people orgranized all their widgets and apps. If you have screen shots that's a bonus.

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

I've been obsessing over that too. I definitely use messaging, calendar and Mail a lot, so I have full page widgets for each of those. For music I have a 1/2 page widget, but I got rid of the huge weather/clock widget because the time is in the top bar anyway, and I like the Weather Channel app, plus I don't want an unnecessary widget possibly draining my battery faster.
    I've got apps loaded up on one and a half pages, and that leaves me with two empty pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    I'm struggling with deciding how I want to layout the 7 pages of the UI. I found the stock layout to be a little weird and illogical. For example on the first page to the left they have a contact list of favorites mixed in with the widgets to turn on and off the different comminications (4G, Wifi, GPS, etc) which seems pretty weird to me.

I'm kind of a categorization and organization freak. So I'm just curious how other people orgranized all their widgets and apps. If you have screen shots that's a bonus.
    you realize you can change scenes or make your own scenes(how widgets are arranged and wallpapers etc) just on one of your home screens press menu and select scenes and you'll have a choice of different scenes.

Everything I use daily and have clicked constantly are the ones for mine

Yup. You can start with the clean slate and customize it any way you want.
    I personally find 7 screens too many. I'm now using ADW.Launcher and have reduced my home screens to 3.

Left has GPS & power, middle has my most used apps , right had multimedia and a small weather app.
    Makes for a very clean home.
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.

Heres how mine is setup

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Turned off sense for mine and am currently using launcherpro. Not really done customizing yet tho
    Sony Ericsson K790a | Palm Treo 650 | Apple iPhone | Apple iPhone 3G | Apple iPhone 3GS | HTC EVO 4G | Samsung Epic 4G | HTC EVO 3D | HTC EVO 4G LTE | Apple iPhone 5 | LG Nexus 4 | Sony Xperia Z | HTC One | LG G2 | Sony Xperia Z1 | LG Nexus 5

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Hey, bdarkness, what notes widget is that?

/*
    EDIT- Nevermind, I found it. For anyone else wondering; it is an HTC widget, available from the "Get more HTC widgets" option when you add a widget to your desktop. Widget.
    */
    Last edited by mhespenh; 06-16-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How the heck do you access anything but your latest note in that widget? I don't see a way to bring them up - a la the Pre's cork board - other than deleting them to reveal the one underneath. I'm either missing something or this is a useless widget.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    How the heck do you access anything but your latest note in that widget? I don't see a way to bring them up - a la the Pre's cork board - other than deleting them to reveal the one underneath. I'm either missing something or this is a useless widget.
    Its like the HTC email widget: Swipe up to reveal the note underneath, swipe down to bring back the one above it. Not the best if you need dozens of notes, but for jotting down something while on a call, or for a place to trim down a copy/paste it does the trick!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't use the email widget, so I didn't think to try swiping to riffle through them. (They should really have instructions for these things.) Cute. Thanked.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm bored, why not play around with Shoot Me.

Here's my setup:

Home Screen = Big Default HTC Clock/Weather Widget along with - People, Calendar, Gmail, Messaging, Internet, Voicemail (my 6 Main PIM/Communication Apps)

Immediate Left Screen = 4G, WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth, Hotspot (the Power Sucking Feature Widgets to easily monitor and turn off/on as needed)

All other Screens = BLANK

i am a minimalist and hate clutter. i like to keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    Yup. You can start with the clean slate and customize it any way you want.
    I personally find 7 screens too many. I'm now using ADW.Launcher and have reduced my home screens to 3.

Left has GPS & power, middle has my most used apps , right had multimedia and a small weather app.
    Makes for a very clean home.
    Quick question, can you use a diff home modifier (like ADW.Launcher) and still have access to the HTC widgets, and the HTC core apps (like the contacts and stuff are HTC, not standard android)?

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Here's mine. Using one of the default backgrounds that I like.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 View Post
    Quick question, can you use a diff home modifier (like ADW.Launcher) and still have access to the HTC widgets, and the HTC core apps (like the contacts and stuff are HTC, not standard android)?
    The core apps are available (for instance, facebook continues to sync my contacts when using LauncherPro/ADW.Launcher), HTC apps (contacts, mail, etc) remain as well. But you lose access to the HTC widgets, which I missed enough to come back to Sense and stay.

You can still use the standard Android widgets or any third-party ones either way.

Quote Originally Posted by mhespenh View Post
    The core apps are available (for instance, facebook continues to sync my contacts when using LauncherPro/ADW.Launcher), HTC apps (contacts, mail, etc) remain as well. But you lose access to the HTC widgets, which I missed enough to come back to Sense and stay.

You can still use the standard Android widgets or any third-party ones either way.
    yeah some of the sense widgets are just really nice. The only reason why I want a home screen replacement is because I would like to be able to put some shortcuts on the bottom instead of just "phone" taking the whole thing.
    Is there anyway to do that w/o getting rid of sense?

sorry if i missed it - but what's that big yellow sticky pad note pad app?

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

I started out with a lot of big widgets and gradually found that I generally preferred using the space as an organized launcher, with only a little bit of active content.

I'm still evolving, but for now: pages, based on position in leap view:

center: big time/weather widget, plus 8 "instant use" apps based either on frequency of use or desire for rapid access when I do need them. Currently Camera, RPN Calculator, SecForms, 3banana, Gmail, Astrid, Calendar, Internet.

middle left: media/fun. app icons for Wordplayer, DoggCatcher, Pandora, Videos, Music, Flixster Movies, Gallery, etc.

middle right: internet and lookup apps: news, Tapatalk, Googles, Barcode Scanner, ShopSavvy, etc.

top left: Travel apps. Two 2-space time widgets: current location and home. Tripcase, Maps, Sprint Nav, etc

top right: Communications. Quick contact icons for 6 people, plus app icons like Voice, Messages, People, Call History

bottom left: System. Widgets to toggle Airplane, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, 4G, Ringermode. LED Light, Setting Profiles app and Setting Profiles widget. Spare Parts, Astro

bottom right: not used yet

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    sorry if i missed it - but what's that big yellow sticky pad note pad app?
    It's under "Get more HTC widgets" in the "Add Widget" menu
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bgs99 View Post
    It's under "Get more HTC widgets" in the "Add Widget" menu
    thanks i never noticed this! i especially like the "Profile" widget!

I have mine organized respectively from left to right as:

Tools/Media/Net Tools-Access-News/Home/Messages Widget/Contacts Favorites/Photo Widget

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I finally got it setup in a way I think is pretty logical for me.

Pretty snappy...
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast