Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Block Phone Numbers

I use to have this feature on my pre to block unwanted phone numbers from preware of course... I was wondering if there was an app for the evo that will let me do this.

assign your Do not Answer list to go strait to voice mail.
    I had pre also
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Thee's an app called Extreme Call Blocker that's not free, but supposed to be great. On the iPhone I used an app called Blacklist which worked very well but I don't see an Android port.

Get yourself a Google Voice account
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have google voice use one for business one for personal.... I think i will buy Extreme Call Blocker

look for "Send to Voicemail" option setting on each Contact in "People" app.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpdaballa View Post
    I have google voice use one for business one for personal.... I think i will buy Extreme Call Blocker
    Then block them through Voice.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by jpdaballa View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    use callfilter. there is a free and paid version. free version works great.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen 6.1.1 or Vaelpak

Quote Originally Posted by UTnick View Post
    use callfilter. there is a free and paid version. free version works great.
    I think callfilter is great, but it runs into the same problem I've seen for all the call blocking apps for Android. They hang up on an existing call when a blocked number calls you. Anyone know how to get around that, or do any of the apps have that feature? I haven't purchased the paid ones yet, but I've seen in the comments that people complained about it. I had iBlacklist for the iPhone as well and it was flawless in performance.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen 6.1.1 or Vaelpak

FWIW, I found this post on Androidforums with a potential workaround. It takes a few more steps than iBlacklist ever did, but I'm going to give it a try.

(quote)
    Here's my personal workaround to this issue:

1. Save the person's number and set it up so that it goes straight to voicemail (under 'options' for the number)

2. Download YouMail, install, and set up voicemail forwarding (free and fantastic, for many reasons OTHER than this)

3. Under your contacts in YouMail, you can set it up so that certain contacts CANNOT leave voicemail.

3a. As an additionally fun thing, they CAN still hear a message, so I set it up to be a "Verizon Number Disconnected" message. Wondrous.

GBlocker is the only call filter on Android I've come across that will (a) pick up and hang up, and (b) block all numbers that begin with a defined digit string (e.g. a prefix). You can also set text autoresponders to incoming calls from assigned numbers. It's the closest equivalent to Magicall and CallFilter on Windows Mobile and Palm OS (the Android app named CallFilter only let's you block whole numbers, as far as I could tell).

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreykime View Post
    3a. As an additionally fun thing, they CAN still hear a message, so I set it up to be a "Verizon Number Disconnected" message. Wondrous.
    Evil genius!

Yeah callfilter blocks whole numbers as far as I know but it will pick up and hang up or send to vm.

Edit:
    Just checked and it will block prefixes.

Default Re: Block Phone Numbers

I just downloaded MR NUMBER from the android market for free and it seems to work fine. You can type in the number you want blocked and your phone still shows it in your notifications as a blocked call. My HTC Inspire 4G still lit up when the call came in but no sound or vibration. So far my other calls have come through so I like it so far.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst_r View Post
    Thee's an app called Extreme Call Blocker that's not free, but supposed to be great. On the iPhone I used an app called Blacklist which worked very well but I don't see an Android port.

Get yourself a Google Voice account
    Extreme Call Blocker (Has a little Blue Shield for an icon) works fantastic rooted or stock. I use it. 800, 866, 886, 888, private, unknown, or anyone on my blacklist (pesky telemarketers) don't even get my voicemail, and I don't even get a ring or vibrate....It just hangs up on them. You can make it only answer numbers in your phone also. The best part is not a single ring or vibrate for blocked numbers. You can send them to voicemail, or simply have the phone disconnect. I can't say enough about that app. It's one of a handful I've actually bought.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    look for "Send to Voicemail" option setting on each Contact in "People" app.
    True, but I don't even like my phone to be rang by telemarketers, exes, etc
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreykime View Post
    FWIW, I found this post on Androidforums with a potential workaround. It takes a few more steps than iBlacklist ever did, but I'm going to give it a try.

(quote)
    Here's my personal workaround to this issue:

1. Save the person's number and set it up so that it goes straight to voicemail (under 'options' for the number)

2. Download YouMail, install, and set up voicemail forwarding (free and fantastic, for many reasons OTHER than this)

3. Under your contacts in YouMail, you can set it up so that certain contacts CANNOT leave voicemail.

Ingenuity at its finest....
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    GBlocker is the only call filter on Android I've come across that will (a) pick up and hang up, and (b) block all numbers that begin with a defined digit string (e.g. a prefix). You can also set text autoresponders to incoming calls from assigned numbers. It's the closest equivalent to Magicall and CallFilter on Windows Mobile and Palm OS (the Android app named CallFilter only let's you block whole numbers, as far as I could tell).
    Extreme Call Blocker does the string also...There ARE only a couple who do that feature though.