Gaming on the Evo

grizzlyaddams

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I got a replacement Evo and it is suffering from the same miniscule problems I had with the first. Glass detachment, and crackling ear piece at higher volume levels.

I can deal with these. Especially because if it gets worse I can just get it replaced again in the future.

So the one looming issue I have that is preventing me from deciding whether or not to keep my Evo is gaming!

Will Android ever catch up to iPhone or even Pre as far as 3D gaming capabilities and support from professional developers goes?? And if mass market gaming can and will be brought to Android, will the Evo competently run a more optimized selection of games with its (reportedly) underpowered GPU?

Gaming on my mobile device is more important to me than productivity since those needs don't go much beyond email, calendar, etc. I would love to adopt an Android phone permanently and just wait out Froyo and other improvements like I did for my Pre, but if the Evo is not up to snuff in this category I would just as soon return it within the 30 days and check out the Galaxy S Pro in the near future.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is catching up. If you go to Gameloft's website, you can buy full 3D (with actually good graphics) from there. This was A MAJOR concern of mine. But now, Gameloft and others seem to be noticing the capabilities of Android. The games look the same on my EVo than they did on my Pre. However, Asphalt 5, the racing game, seems to run laggy and choppy. Don't know why yet.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's ever going to be as smooth as the Pre, but the Pre was just too small to really enjoy gaming on it. I think some games are really good, but some just aren't.

PS.........I uninstalled Raging Thunder because compared to the Pre it was just too choppy.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Raging Thunder 2 runs well after I kill some heavy processes before.
The link njbianco posted... is good. Watch that video.

I wish Phil would write an article on this. Will Evo, Incredible, and Nexus One be all up there game-wise?
Is the Evo worse than the Incredible/N1 game-wise?

Also, check out the game ExZeus Arcade... best 3d game out? maybe...
YouTube - ExZeus Arcade Android Game Review

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I found games to run slow compared to the Palm Pre. I tried Asphalt 5 and boy did it lag on the EVO.
Yeah... it does lag. It lagged hard.

I hope Phil says something about it in the podcast...
... or I hope he writes an article about it.

I hate how I feel like I went backwards when it comes to display coloring + gaming.
the big question I have is ... Can I put Evo and GPU in the same sentence?

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
HTC totally screwed up by putting Sense UI on the Evo.

Sense blocks wiimote controller applications so all those emulator classics you love to play get shafted due to HTC's dumb decision.

:mad:

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Man who cares about old emulators. I had so many devices that could play them and never bothered with them.

Torx

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
yea, these emulators are a merely novelty, and a "hey look what my phone can do" sort of thing..

playing most if not all retro games on touchscreen isnt worthwhile.. buying a bt joypad or something is okay, but sheesh who wants to carry all that around.

ive yet to find a good solitaire game, most are ugly, lack features, are buggy, or have ad banners. How sad is that? Most basic game ever and theres no viable option.
Im pretty disappointed in the marketplace and games, but its in infancy, i'll give it time.

grizzlyaddams

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually bought probably almost 2 dozen paid games from EA Glu and Gameloft for my Pre. I got alot of use out of them. Hero of Sparta, Asphalt, Sims 3, Dungeon Hunter, NOVA, Lets Golf, Glyder 2, NFS: Shift, to name very few. The all ran great on the Pre even if it was a small screen. Between those three companies alone I think there are 3 dozen or more professionally developed 3D games on the Pre.

I bought NOVA for the Evo just to compare from gamelofts website (of the selection of 10). Runs like crap.

::sigh::

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Man who cares about old emulators. I had so many devices that could play them and never bothered with them.

You gotta be kidding me :-/

Your telling me you would rather play some stupid Gameloft game over, oh I dont know... say... SUPER METROID?! LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST?!

Riiiiiiiight...

grizzlyaddams

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You gotta be kidding me :-/

Your telling me you would rather play some stupid Gameloft game over, oh I dont know... say... SUPER METROID?! LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST?!

Riiiiiiiight...

I personally would love to use emulators on my device but let's not even pretend that touch screen controls are adequate for many games from that era.

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I personally would love to use emulators on my device but let's not even pretend that touch screen controls are adequate for many games from that era.

Yeah that is why I said earlier in the thread HTC totally screwed up by putting Sense on the Evo. Sense blocks the small wiimotes from connecting via bluetooth to use as a real controller (perfect with the kickstand).

I have vanilla android on my Nexus One and the emulators + wiimote are outstanding! I couldn't imagine how nice it would be on a 4.3' screen =)

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I could care less for emulators.

And this is really pissing me off. I wish I thought about the lack of GPU acceleration when I bought the Evo.
My Pre ran games without lag at ALL. NO skips or anything. Smooth as butter.

My Evo lags when I play certain games. Raging Thunder 2 runs pretty well, but you can tell the framerate is meh.
Speed Forge 3d runs okay, with an occasional chop here and there.

It sucks because Motorola's Droid X and Samsung's Galaxy series both come with a graphics processor thing... basically, what the old Iphone, droid, and Pre had... making them all capable of intense gaming.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what version of Asphalt 5 you have, but mine is running very smooth on the EVO. It is very close to the Pre version right now. The last version of Asphalt was a little buggy and choppy, but they just updated Asphalt to a newer version that seems smoother, in my opinion. The biggest problems with these 3D games is that most of the vendors were porting their games over from iPhone, ie to the Pre, etc. Gameloft has finally changed it a little to start working for the EVO and their limits, and utilize the other areas. Give it time, and newer version will run better

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Will Android ever catch up to iPhone or even Pre as far as 3D gaming capabilities and support from professional developers goes??

I found games to run slow compared to the Palm Pre. I tried Asphalt 5 and boy did it lag on the EVO.

I don't think it's ever going to be as smooth as the Pre

I would have to agree with the above, it will never be as smooth as the pre. As well as almost always have serious lag. I dont believe it was ment to be a gaming phone, more of a social/media phone.

I think I will be good, just not as great as the pre.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
go in your asphalt 5 game that you supposedly say is running smooth and give us the version number under "About" in the game.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
go in your asphalt 5 game that you supposedly say is running smooth and give us the version number under "About" in the game.

Asphalt 5 version 313

I am playing it now and it is running pretty smooth. Not as smooth as the Pre, but it is not as bad as everyone is saying. Now, the last version was very laggy.

grizzlyaddams

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've only directly compared one game, NOVA, on both the Pre and the Evo. The Pre far outperformed. If there are more than two or three enemies on the screen firing at you in the Evo version, the game becomes unplayable. Heck I even used to play multiplayer NOVA on the Pre and it was a really fun diversion.