11 hard hours and battery at 15% left

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com
I would think so. Definitely seems to help on my end.

I can give a rundown of all my settings and the applications I have installed if you guys like. See how I get 15ish hours on a single charge...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
unplugged at 11am yesterday and went out for lunch and never came back. several calls, lots of texts, lots of surfing, a little Nav GPS, a tiny hair of 4G, and no WIFI. lots of demos as everyone wanted to see the phone - strippers included. got home around 10pm and had 15% juice left. 11am-10pm and 15% left. very impressed. how do i do it? simple.

1. 4G, WIFI, GPS, BT, Hotspot all set at OFF with widgets. turn ON only as needed.
2. UNCHECK "always on mobile data".
3. Brightness set to very low (underneath checkmark - extreme left). this is plenty bright for me.
4. No Live Wallpaper. not sure of this makes a difference but i have my own graphic anyway.
5. No Data intensive constant data hungry widgets/apps constantly running. i wiped News and Stocks and Sprint Zone. i will get my data from the browser fresh as needed. i have no updating widgets other than 2 weather cities with the nice big beautiful HTC Clock/Weather default widget i keep with auto refresh at 1 hour. i have 2 GMail PUSH accounts that i set up and are always on.
6. Sign out of everything when done - GTalk, Qik, FB, etc. Everything! i don' use this stuff anyway. as noted before - let GTalk run in the background for PUSH but always sign out and uncheck auto sign you in.

am i missing anything? i don't feel like i am depriving myself of anything with these settings! i don't feel like i'm babying the phone at all. and the great battery life is awesome.

so anyone who is biitching about battery life try this and let me know how it works.

p.s. i do not use any kind of task killer or kill any running applications in any way via the control panel or any other way.

Great advice... I have been doing most of these steps since I got the phone and I get pretty darn good battery life. I get between 10 - 30 hours depending on how heavy or light I am using my phone.. Average is 14 - 16 hours with what I consider moderate use.

The past few days I have been checking my battery as people are constantly complaining about battery dropping a lot right off the charger... Yesterday and Today I let my phone charge all night while I sleep like always... I don't turn the phone off and I don't put it in any sleep/airplane mode... only things "OFF" are WiFi, GPS & 4G.... I have my e-mail sync set to 6 hours from 10pm - 8am since I am either in bed or not really messing with it much at night.

Any way like this morning it had been on the charger since about 11 at night.. Took it off at 9 this morning and by 10 my battery had barely moved by 11:30 it was at 92% and now it's 12:20 and I am reading 89%... Mostly light use so far as I checked some scores on ESPN.com, read, deleted and responded to the e-mails I got over night and checked some facebook....

I still think some people are either exaggerating their battery life or you just got a flat out bad battery... Even on June 4th when I picked it up at 10am the battery was basically at 50% and I got 7 hours out of it before it got below 15%... and that was on really good use as I was playing and trying to get her all set up.

Coming from a Nexus One and Android 2.1, I kind of had a good/decent idea on what to turn on and off and how to set my sync/updates to where they were often enough for my lifestyle but not so often they destroyed the battery......

The N1 was only slightly better and my iPhone 3G was not any better... Even my wife's Blackberry needs to be hooked up to power each night if she wants to use it for a second day......

ksuwald

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I got about 7hrs today with moderate to heavy use. I ran my battery down to about 29%. I need to recharge as I am going out soon. Overall I am fine with this. A lot better than what I was getting. I would be dead within 5hrs with minimal use.

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com
I wouldn't mind seeing them.

Ok so here's my setup.

I'm going to describe what I have on my screen from FAR LEFT to FAR RIGHT. Easiest for me.

Thumbnail widgets on Far Left Screen

4G = OFF
GPS = ON
MOBILE = ON
WIFI = OFF (unless at my apartment or a wifi hotspot)

I have my camera and camcorder on this page.

I also have a mini calendar that just shows the upcoming event and what day it is.

Next Screen

I have the full page friend stream widget on this page (aka twitter account). Always running.

Next Screen

This is my customized market page. Lower right hand side of the page I have my Market icon. On top of the page I have all the market apps I downloaded. Only have 4 that are always signed in and linked up... Discover Bank App, Mint Financial App, Compass App and Maps App.

Next Screen

This is the middle home screen.

Very Top I have the weather Widget with the giant clock numbers, etc. This is set to auto sync.

Below that I have 4 of my most used apps/icons...

PEOPLE, MESSAGES, GMAIL, YOUMAIL (visual voicemail client that I love) Gmail is set to auto sync and Youmail is set to manual sync. When I open the app I hit refresh messages and it updates/syncs. No big deal.

Next Screen

Music Widget at the top.

Middle are Youtube App, Qik App, Videos and Shazam.

Sprint TV widget on the very bottom.

Next Screen

BLANK for now.

Next Screen

Bookmarks.

----------

That's basically it. Some other info. I don't have live wallpapers running. Sometimes I do to switch it up a little bit. But usually I have a static wallpaper. Brightness is at about 25%. Under Accounts&Sync I only have Google, Twitter and Weather on auto sync. Everything else is unchecked.

That's about it. That's my simple set up and I get about 16 hours with moderate use. It's glorious.

ksuwald

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok so here's my setup.

I'm going to describe what I have on my screen from FAR LEFT to FAR RIGHT. Easiest for me.

Thumbnail widgets on Far Left Screen

4G = OFF
GPS = ON
MOBILE = ON
WIFI = OFF (unless at my apartment or a wifi hotspot)

I have my camera and camcorder on this page.

I also have a mini calendar that just shows the upcoming event and what day it is.

Next Screen

I have the full page friend stream widget on this page (aka twitter account). Always running.

Next Screen

This is my customized market page. Lower right hand side of the page I have my Market icon. On top of the page I have all the market apps I downloaded. Only have 4 that are always signed in and linked up... Discover Bank App, Mint Financial App, Compass App and Maps App.

Next Screen

This is the middle home screen.

Very Top I have the weather Widget with the giant clock numbers, etc. This is set to auto sync.

Below that I have 4 of my most used apps/icons...

PEOPLE, MESSAGES, GMAIL, YOUMAIL (visual voicemail client that I love) Gmail is set to auto sync and Youmail is set to manual sync. When I open the app I hit refresh messages and it updates/syncs. No big deal.

Next Screen

Music Widget at the top.

Middle are Youtube App, Qik App, Videos and Shazam.

Sprint TV widget on the very bottom.

Next Screen

BLANK for now.

Next Screen

Bookmarks.

----------

That's basically it. Some other info. I don't have live wallpapers running. Sometimes I do to switch it up a little bit. But usually I have a static wallpaper. Brightness is at about 25%. Under Accounts&Sync I only have Google, Twitter and Weather on auto sync. Everything else is unchecked.

That's about it. That's my simple set up and I get about 16 hours with moderate use. It's glorious.

Thanks a lot! I am not too far off from you. I am going to use my phone with moderate use tomorrow to see how much time I get. Today was so much better than previous days. Again Tuesday I got 5hrs with such minimal use. Today I went overboard on use and got 6-8 hours. I need to start to recharge since I am heading out soon.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
MORE THAN HAPPY. Not running task killer.... I AM MAKING SURE WHEN IM IN THE HOUSE I'm connected via wi-fi 11 hours 30 minutes and counting.

Last edited:

Sailvi767

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have no battery issues at all. Phone comes off the charger around 7 am. The lowest I have seen at 11 pm is 15 percent left and that day included using google maps and 90 minutes of talk time, 1 hour of 4g. I keep things I am not using turned off but overall I am quite happy with my battery life. Yesterday had a 50 percent charge at 11 pm but usage was light.

wado1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I experimented today and did everything the OP did. I took my EVO off the charger at 11:12 AM EST and as of 11:18 PM EST I have 29% left. Over 12 hours and I have been tweeting, facebooking, texting, talking, taking pics, sending pics, did a Qik test, downloaded apps, & bumped some apps to my friends.

All and all it was a day of moderate to heavy use and I got well over 12 hours doing what the OP did.

No 4G, Wifi in the home, no mobile data always on, no live wall paper, no syncing. low brightness.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I'm at 16 hours now with the battery at about 50%... That's with light usage...

I went to bed at 40% battery remaining and 14 hours of pretty moderate use, but I spent most of my Saturday at home and was on my WiFi network all day/night... Used it pretty good while watching a few games and the fight on Showtime last night.... WiFi is a great battery saver vs using the 3G network if you can stay hooked to a good WiFi signal....

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
if you turn on WIFI does the 3G Network connection totally close? my guess is it still stays open although not necessarily as the primary data connection - it still stays open. Voice and Texts etc.? so now you have 2 energy hogs running. i'm not sure keeping WIFI on is an energy saver. my use of WIFI is limited for when i have a poor/slow or no 3G/4G signal.

are you also turning off the Mobile Network?

Last edited:

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I turned odd always on connection, and print zone and here is my day yesterday. Phone died coming home from work for its first power cycle @ 8am. Slept till 10th with with phone charging in clock mode. Got to 94%. Then got up and dis my brakes sand broke 3 studs. 6 hours, some face booking, internet usage and by connection to the radio and I was done....with brakes.

Then hopped in the car and streamed Pandora for 4 hrs over bt turning on the screen for every song. Then 2 more hours of just bt connection in case I got a call. Phone finally died @ 11pm while trying some new apps.

All in all I think the battery is holding up good. That is not my average day so I think the battery will hold up awesome for every day usage.

P.s. battery was in red for the last 3 hours and first 2 was with a bt connection.

RamminIt

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's what my battery life and usage typically look like...

6a1ddb4c.png

e195a35f.png

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
if you turn on WIFI does the 3G Network connection totally close? my guess is it still stays open although not necessarily as the primary data connection - it still stays open. Voice and Texts etc.? so now you have 2 energy hogs running. i'm not sure keeping WIFI on is an energy saver. my use of WIFI is limited for when i have a poor/slow or no 3G/4G signal.

are you also turning off the Mobile Network?

I work from home on Mondays and so far two Mondays and now a full Saturday spent at home I exclusively use WiFi and I get a MAJOR improvement on battery life. 3G is just for data it's my understanding when you switch to WiFi and you actually have a WiFi connection the 3G radio shuts off and it just runs voice calls over a different type of network.... Just go to Sprints Web page and they have different coverage maps for Voice, Data/3G and 4G.... If the WiFi is "ON" and your not picking up a WiFi network the radio eats battery searching for WiFi while at the same time it reverts to 3G for Data connection....

When I am not at home and I turn the WiFi off and am out and about I get 12 - 14 hours of battery life on Moderate use with 15% remaining. On Mondays primarily connected to my WiFi I get 18+ and my battery is still at 40% remaining... and I probably use it more while at home than when I am out and about....

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Per my other thread i got 11+ hours of pretty hard use and had 15% battery left with these settings -

1. 4G, WIFI, GPS, BT, Hotspot all set at OFF with widgets. turn ON only as needed.
2. UNCHECK "always on mobile data".
3. Brightness set to very low (underneath checkmark - extreme left). this is plenty bright for me.
4. No Live Wallpaper. not sure of this makes a difference but i have my own graphic anyway.
5. No Data intensive constant data hungry widgets/apps constantly running. i wiped News and Stocks and Sprint Zone. uncheck them for sync. i will get my data from the browser fresh as needed. i have no updating widgets other than 2 weather cities with the nice big beautiful HTC Clock/Weather default widget i keep with auto refresh at 1 hour. i have 2 GMail PUSH accounts that i set up and are always on.
6. Sign out of everything when done - GTalk, Qik, FB, etc. Everything! i don' use this stuff anyway. as noted before - let GTalk run in the background for PUSH Gmail but always sign out and uncheck auto sign you in.
7. Vibrate is ON for Calls and Texts. Vibrate is OFF for emails. all Haptic Feedback - Keyboard, Screen, etc. is OFF.
8. i DO NOT use a task killer or kill tasks with the Manage Applications Panel.

So where is the smart phone here?? I think my old rumor did more and would go for a week.