Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

I have sync disabled for everything but mail and weather with default intervals. I have talk enabled for my phone and have never experienced excessive battery drain with it enabled.

well i got decent batt life again yesterday, but i didnt use it much.
    My Android use was %96 or so again.
    i did a hard reset and started from scratch again to see how it goes with no apps installed.
    i think the high Android is from normal OS stuff not included in the radios maybe. I dunno. I didnt install anything yet and my Android is %94 again on a fresh image.

Only thing I syn is Weather and Email and facebook every 2 -4 hrs maybe.

Its the %90+ on the Android system part that bugs me. I wish someone truly had an answer why it does that. lots of speculations like mine is that it is just counting for the % unused by other stuff.

Im curious on what the partial wake time and awake time stuff means.

@Cory Streater: Maybe this is just nit picking, but 500 mAh is a unit of charge, not power. (Current x time = charge, i.e. number of electrons sent to the battery.) The specification for USB 2.0 power is 5 Volts at a maximum of 500 mA (not mAh.) Note that 500 mA = 0.5 Amp, and 0.5 Amps x 5 volts = 2.5 Watts which is a unit of power.

With a 1500 mAh battery, a USB 2.0 connection could charge it in 1500 mAh / 500 mA = 3 hours if the phone were off (i.e. not consuming any current.) (There are other factors but let's not go there, just take 3 hours as a representative figure.)

Also 1500 mAh of battery capacity is a unit of charge, not energy. Multiply this charge by the battery voltage (nominally 3.7 Volts) and you get 5500 milliwatt hours = 5.5 watt hours of stored energy in the battery.

What you wrote would be accurate if you changed "500 mAh" to "500 mA," changed "power" to "current," and changed "energy" to "charge."

Back to topic, I found that the charging procedure mentioned in this post worked very well for me.

i did a hard reset yesterday and essentially have it with no 3rd party apps right now and its working better as far as I can see.
    im at like 20hrs and got like 40% batt left.
    This is heavy texting, few 30-40min phone calls, few emails and some web surfing on 3g.
    Android system is more like %10 now instead of %94-96% so that makes me feel better.

Guess ill start adding apps one at a time back to see what the problem was.

Quote Originally Posted by schultepk View Post
    I was roofing all day so was not using my phone at all, I let it lay in my room. I come back and its under 5%. I used it for 35 minutes over lunch, otherwise, it sat dormant. Could it be because low wifi, wifi is low in my room, I took this picture right next to my computer so signal was high, and the fact that I'm roaming as well?

Can you please tell me what app this is?

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Floridadomer View Post
    Can you please tell me what app this is?
    It's not an app, it's settings > about phone > battery > battery use

just plugged in after 5.5 hrs really heavy use today. talked with friend, grooveshark playing, reading news feeds over and over. plugged in with indicator yellow. that's not bad, very practical, 5 hrs between charging

Quote Originally Posted by schultepk View Post
    I'm just destined not to get much life out of my battery. I've optimized all settings, just use the browser and text too much I imagine. I use it more like a laptop than a phone.

Wifi is off in this picture because I had just gotten back to the house.

8 hrs is awesome battery life.
    very practical. that's 500 miles on one battery. put an extra battery in your pocket and go from the great lakes to florida without plugging in

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Using a universal battery charger vs. charging it in the Evo Im getting no trickle down charge with 100 full capacity in 1 hour of minimal usage. Before my battery when charged in the Evo would go from 100 to 90 in 10 minutes. I have lasted a full hour with it staying at 100 with no trickle down effect when using the universal battery charger.

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    ^^The roaming triangle doesn't help... Roaming will suck the life out of that battery, your phone is probably switching back and fourth.
    what app do you use foryour screen shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Kealoha3 View Post
    what app do you use foryour screen shots?
    Try shoot me

I am constantly on my phone, while I dont make a lot of calls I do text a ton. I also run a lot of widgets. Engadget, News, Calender, e-mail, photo and a few others. I'll also add that my phone is in a constant state of roaming during my work day. I have not rooted my Evo for fear of ruining it. However I have used a few of the tricks that have been posted in other battery treads. I run OATK set at aggressive with the frequency set to screen off. My fav apps to use during the day are Black Jack, TV.com, and Youtube HQ. I also run 4G as I live in the DMV area and its alive and fast.

Last edited by Tekka; 06-27-2010 at 07:52 PM.

The first week of ownership, my EVO's battery totally sucked. Then I turned off the always-on network (3G radio) and it did not suck. However, my phone became susceptible to frequent and random reboots.

I did a did a factory reset of the phone. Turned off the 3G radio (again) and reinstalled most of my apps. Since then, my phone has been stable and I get a day and a half to two days of battery life before I have to recharge with moderate use.

IMO, this is pretty good battery life but I also have to wonder if the factory blundered with the out-of-box configuration.

P.S. FWIW... I find that having the calendar set to sync Facebook contacts really increases the load on syncing. I don't want my Facebook contacts synced with my Google calendar anyway. It gets quite confusing so I turned that off. Still more battery life after that.

Good stuff. Same here...getting great life out of my battery as well....posted screen shot just earlier.

...and i'm not using any task killers

Same here...

Hmm, okay, I hope this is in the right place. I downloaded shoot me and took a screen shot to show everyone my battery use and it tells me where the file is located...and sorry to be an *****, but I have no idea how to retrieve that to post it up here. Sorry, this smart phone thing is new for me, I was only texting on my older dinger phone until the Evo came out.

I have horrible battery life, I find myself at 15% and charging usually once in the middle of each day. I have followed a lot of the advice on here to reduce my battery drainage but it's still bad. I have noticed my 3G arrows are always white, in response to the first post recommendation, but I don't know how to change that. I don't have wifi available so I have to use the network. If someone can tell me how to put the screenshot up here I can show you guys that at well. Thanks so much for helping the newbie.

Default Battery saver tip

Download Setting Profile app and pay the $3.49 for it, you setup custom profiles by time, event or location. When I'm at work I turn off GPS, WIFI and Bluetooth. When I'm not at work I set it to change to WIFI and Bluetooth. You can change everything, so turn off what you don't want or need and you will be much happier with the battery life.
    Thanked by:

I have already turned all those off. I have tried to follow a lot of the recommendations including those things as well as lowering screen brightness, etc. So far today I have checked my gmail once and made 3 phone calls for maybe 20 min of call time and I am already down to about 75% battery. It drops just sitting idle. I am not roaming, I have a good signal.

off topic warning!
    hope this is Ok. otherwise, flame away.

i don't have a reference to the scholarly article to post, but i'll summarize. all connected devices work hard and use batteries up because of routing. a new generation of routers designed around newer software is coming and will probably double battery life of smartphones. that's huge and something to look forward to when our places of employment and us home gamers update to the new routers.

Quote Originally Posted by aspen_matthews View Post
    I have already turned all those off. I have tried to follow a lot of the recommendations including those things as well as lowering screen brightness, etc. So far today I have checked my gmail once and made 3 phone calls for maybe 20 min of call time and I am already down to about 75% battery. It drops just sitting idle. I am not roaming, I have a good signal.
    Check Settings/About Phone/Battery to see what is using most of your battery. Some say Task Killers are bad, but get ATK anyway and kill some background tasks. Spare Parts isn't bad to see what battery is doing...

Hope it helps.
    "Now I may be an ***** but there is one thing I am not, sir and that, sir is an *****." -Peter Griffin
    Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

Exclamation Important note about turning on/off gps

When earlier cell phones and smartphones began implementing the GPS feature, it was pretty much exclusively for the purpose of 911 operators being able to approximate your location when you made an emergency call. Thus, if you invoked the option to turn of the GPS feature, there was usually a warning letting you know that if you do turn it off, your location will not be identified in an emergency situation. Beyond that, these earlier phones with such technology had no other features that used GPS (navigation, location-based services, etc.).

I am now a police dispatcher, meaning part of my job includes receiving 911 calls. Thanks to ever-evolving technology, most cell phones in use today and all newly-produced cell phones incorporate what's referred to as "Phase II" technology, which allows a 911 call-taker to identify your estimated location when you call using a cell phone, which I find the majority of calls to 911 are made from these days (land lines are easy to identify and are almost 100% accurate because the phone company knows from exactly where the call is placed and passes that info on to 911 centers). This is very significant as the single most important piece of info a 911 operator needs to acquire is the location of the emergency. The importance of this is amplified when you consider that, a) many 911 calls come from locations that the caller may not be familiar with (along a highway, in a downtown area with limited familiarity, at a friends house whose exact address is unknown, etc.), and b) in a crisis, people are often so emotionally charged that they forget their exact location or inadvertently communicate the wrong location. (You may think, "Not me," and perhaps you're correct; but trust me, these two scenarios play out ALL THE TIME.) So whether you call 911 from your cell phone or a land line, you DEFINITELY WANT the call taker to see where your calling from.

That said, unless technology is programmed differently now in smartphones, IF YOU TURN OFF GPS ON YOUR PHONE, YOU PREVENT YOUR LOCATION FROM BEING SEEN WHEN YOU MAKE AN EMERGENCY CALL. Now, as I just alluded to, newer phones may be programmed to never allow you to block that GPS signal that accompanies a 911 call. However, I do know that on earlier cell phones/smartphones, when you turned off this GPS feature, your screen showed the little cross hair icon with a slash through it; conversely, when it was on, the icon had no slash through it. At the very least, this visual indication seems to be the same on today's phones.

So unless someone can confirm that "turning off GPS" DOES NOT affect how emergency (911) calls are identified, AS A DISPATCHER, I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU NOT TO TURN OFF GPS. The last thing you will think about or have time for in an emergency is turning on your GPS before you dial 911.

Just something to consider. If anyone can add additional info or provide clarification, please do.

HTH,
    ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung Epic Touch (Galaxy S2) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 HTC Evo Palm Treo 755p pa1mOne Treo 650 Palm Tungsten|T3 Sony Clie NR70 Palm m505 Palm Vx Palm Pilot Professional (w/2MB upgrade) Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 & SF-1000
    (Wife: Nexus S3 Evo Pixi Centro m105)

Quote Originally Posted by Android Addict View Post
    When earlier cell phones and smartphones began implementing the GPS feature, it was pretty much exclusively for the purpose of 911 operators being able to approximate your location when you made an emergency call. Thus, if you invoked the option to turn of the GPS feature, there was usually a warning letting you know that if you do turn it off, your location will not be identified in an emergency situation.

ME
    The Evo will use GPS when dialing 911, even if it's turned off in settings.

Thanks for the heads up though.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock on most

After the last software update, I'm seeing a 30% - 50% increase in battery life. I don't even plug it in to charge at work anymore. Still half full when I head out 9 hours after it charged in the morning. Prior to that, it would never make it through the whole day without a little extra juice.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast