New EVO Battery Life Sticky: Please Contribute

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
No battery issues here. I'm still only losing 1% per hour when idle and have plenty of battery to play with when I need it. I have Exchange, SportsTap, News and Weather widget, etc., all set to update as frequently as possible.

californiajay

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't deal with the battery life since the update. It is horrendous on my phone and I just don't know what to do. With hardly any use at all, the battery went down to 50% after about 3 hours of idle time. I then recharged it and now about 3 hours later it is again at 50%. Prior to the update, I would take it off charge when I woke up at 5am and with the kind of moderate use I was doing today, it would still be at about 75-80% full by the time I would go to sleep at 11pm!

If I can't find a solution I am afraid that is going to be the end of my EVO ownership...totally impossible for me to accept this kind of battery life.

hodedofome

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been on 2.2 (CM6) for 2 or 3 weeks now and enjoyed the battery life on that ROM. Especially from underclocking the battery when the screen was off and having wifi turn off when screen was off automatically.

I flashed the pre-release 2.2 rom with Sense on Saturday. After setting all the services back to manual update I'd say battery life is slightly less on Sense. I'd usually get anywhere from 14-20 hours on a battery.

HOWEVER, I just got my 3,000mah battery from eBay w/ charger ($12 shipped from Hong Kong) and I've used my phone quite a bit today - phone calls, texting, lots of web browsing, wifi, gps, sync AND 4G on all day. I'm at 8.5 hrs off charger and still at 80%. I'M LOVING THIS.

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been on 2.2 (CM6) for 2 or 3 weeks now and enjoyed the battery life on that ROM. Especially from underclocking the battery when the screen was off and having wifi turn off when screen was off automatically.

I flashed the pre-release 2.2 rom with Sense on Saturday. After setting all the services back to manual update I'd say battery life is slightly less on Sense. I'd usually get anywhere from 14-20 hours on a battery.

HOWEVER, I just got my 3,000mah battery from eBay w/ charger ($12 shipped from Hong Kong) and I've used my phone quite a bit today - phone calls, texting, lots of web browsing, wifi, gps, sync AND 4G on all day. I'm at 8.5 hrs off charger and still at 80%. I'M LOVING THIS.

How much thicker does it make the phone? About the same as Seido's 3,500mah battery?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen any improvement to battery life since updating to 2.2. I make it through most of the day, but typically have to charge it up before I leave work just to make sure it makes it through the night. I was hoping Froyo was going to make some improvements here, but it's not looking like it.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that Network app works with Froyo. You can't get to that page with *#*#4636#*#* any more as well. (That app simply takes you directly to that page).

The app did nothing but turn off my 3G.

In reading through the various entries, I did notice something that seemed odd to me. At one point it says "GSM Services On." I do remember that one of the original battery issues was that GSM was switched on and using power by constantly searching for signal. Going to this page made it possible to turn it off.

But I can't seem to make any changes with that app right now.

I'm using more battery since the update too. I'm not sure how much of that is due to all the exploring I've been doing. I'll wait a few days and see what happens once I get back to a more normal usage pattern.

hodedofome

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
How much thicker does it make the phone? About the same as Seido's 3,500mah battery?

I haven't used the Seido but I'm sure it's about the same. It's definitely thick enough that I wouldn't use it every day. However, for days where I want to use it heavily or be away from a charger for a while I'll definitely be using it.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried disabling the always on data in 2.2 now and so far appears to be putting the phone to sleep now.
Now the issue is finding out what new app in this build is trying to go out to the internet all the time causing the phone to stay awake because this fix shouldnt be needed. I didnt need it in 2.1 after the update was ran after the phone was released.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I think I may have helped my own battery issue.

Since the upgrade to .6, the GMail Contacts would not synch on my phone. In the Settings>Accounts and Synch there was a red icon next to Google and a message at the bottom saying that GMail Contacts was having a problem and would be back later.

I waited 36 hours, but "later" never came.

I then went into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications, and under the Running tab selected GMail and then Clear Data.

After doing this twice with a reboot each time, the red icon returned to its normal green color, and the message went away.

I immediately noticed much less battery drain.

It was just an experiment on my part, but it seems to have done something positive on my phone.

jlewis

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that Network app works with Froyo. You can't get to that page with *#*#4636#*#* any more as well. (That app simply takes you directly to that page).

The app did nothing but turn off my 3G.

On my phone the 4636 dial does nothing, but the Network app DOES work. It shows the same info it did before the update. The radio setting was different, though. It had the first item "WCDMA Preferred" checked. I changed it to the CDMA (prl) setting recommended in prior posts, and that seems to have stuck.

Don't know if these settings make any difference at all, but I know the Network app does allow access to them for me.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't deal with the battery life since the update. It is horrendous on my phone and I just don't know what to do. With hardly any use at all, the battery went down to 50% after about 3 hours of idle time. I then recharged it and now about 3 hours later it is again at 50%. Prior to the update, I would take it off charge when I woke up at 5am and with the kind of moderate use I was doing today, it would still be at about 75-80% full by the time I would go to sleep at 11pm!

If I can't find a solution I am afraid that is going to be the end of my EVO ownership...totally impossible for me to accept this kind of battery life.

I noticed that not all battery-saving settings were preserved through the update, so you might want to review your configuration. On my phone, the update to 2.2 reactivated Google Talk auto-signin, and that negatively impacts battery life.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
No battery issues here. I'm still only losing 1% per hour when idle and have plenty of battery to play with when I need it. I have Exchange, SportsTap, News and Weather widget, etc., all set to update as frequently as possible.

I'm similar, a little more than 1% per hour. Up on battery for 23 hours since updating yesterday, and I have 70% battery remaining.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
After reading you post I reinstalled and tried Network again. It did work for me today.

My battery life seems to be back to normal now, but I really think clearing up the problem with GMail Contact synch is what helped the most.

Richard_Danger

May 16, 2010
www.twitter.com
I took my phone off the charger this morning at 9am. fell back to sleep. woke up at 10 am....and my EVO only dropped 1% to 99%. I will try this again tonight to confirm, but if true this is awesome. right now I am at 82% left.

shibumi

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
You guys having battery issues after the Froyo update may want to check this out.

Possible Battery Fix from HTC - Page 9 - Android Forums

Note: I haven't tried this, but I'm book marking it and seeing if my battery usage normalizes again. If not I'll be trying it

This seems to have worked for me. Battery life much better now and there is a definite difference in my Uptime and Awake time. I used the "Network" app in the Marketplace (as mentioned in the above link) to make the setting changes and then rebooted.

Thanks for the tip!

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
my findings I posted in another thread;

ok so update. . . i got a little over 22 hrs before plugging it in today. was at 12% when plugged in.

I looked at the partial wake locks and they are down very considerably. Android shows a tiny bar and email shows a tiny bar. Rest barely viewable. So I feel better.
Wake times are significantly down too compared to uptime.

I had LED light uninstalled before, but I completely removed even the backup source from the SD card just for giggles.

Email sync ever 5mins, weather 3 hrs, facebook once a day ( i refresh as I use it in the app)
Always on data turned on, GPS turned on.
Gtalk signed out and not used. News and weather sync removed in the app (you must do this or it refreshes like hourly on default) stocks removed (syncs like hourly or shorter) and news removed from sync.

I have normally pretty high TWS too since I work in a bunker. So I see like %20-75 TWS so my batt could even get better.
Phone vibrates alot at work cuz I keep on vib too.

So this I can deff deal with.

Latest fix was manually resetting the phone (wiping the phone)

alibumaye

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
the one thing I've changed is that now on my home screen the clock is gone, and it's full of app widgets (bofa, twidroid, facebook, gmail, internet, etc.)

could that be the reason why????

jermajesty

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I updated to Froyo and all seemed well the first night. The next day I was killing the battery in 6-7 hours and hardly touching it. Here is what I did.

- Turned off Google Talk (I want this back, but if this is the killer I will do without it)
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled Google Voice
- Uninstalled Advanced Task Killer (people are emphatic that Android does not need this and that people are just trained by Windows to close everything)
- Removed all data consuming widgets
- Went to Settings > Applications > Running Services and stopped all data widget services
- Eventually put back all the widgets
- Turned off background data for an hour and turned it back on
- Downloaded “Network” application. Changed drop-down to GSM auto (prl). Changed back to CDMA auto (prl).
- Calibrated battery (Charged overnight, Unplugged, Turned off (hold down the power button and shut down), Plugged back in (turns orange and then green in about 30 seconds), Unplug, wait for green light to turn off, plug back in and wait until green, repeat about 10 times.

I burn about 6-8% per hour now (back to where I was on Eclair). I played around a bit and turned Gtalk back on. I was back to 12-15% per hour burn rates. It is clear that Gtalk is killing my battery after the Froyo update (It did not on Eclair), unless there is some burn-in effect that I need to let happen.

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Last night i uninstalled advanced task killer. Charged my battery all night and for the first time ever....My battery lasted almost 2hours with alot of gtalk messages few text messages before reaching 90%. Usually it reaches 90% within 20min. atk seems to be the culprit for me.