Evo/PC USB Problem - Losing "Connection Type"

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been doing a little more work on the Evo syncing with my PC for music, video, etc. I've even found an app that I can use to control the PC mouse from my phone (padroid) and also one that allows me to print from the phone (printershare), both of which are wireless! That said, I started running into some problems this morning.

It seems that the phone wants to reset the connection type to "charge only" after a couple minutes of being connected. This has nothing to do with the default setting, I am speaking specifically about the connection type changing itself after I've chosen which mode to use. Regardless of the default choice, it keeps reverting back to "charge only". This is a pain for obvious reasons, so I am trying to figure out why this is happening. Any thoughts?

I am going to run some tests to see if I can figure it out and I'll update the thread later. In the meantime, please let me know if this is happening to you or if you know what is causing the issue. Thanks!

Test Ideas:
Task Killer causing the problem?
"Sleep Mode" doing it?
Bad cables?
USB Hub's fault?
ADW Launcher?
PC problem (usb driver, old laptop, etc)?

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After running some tests, here is what I found out.

1 The "kill all" button on my task killer isn't causing the problem
2 Enabling the screen to stay on at all times maintains the proper connection type, which means that it isn't the PC or the cables
3 It happens consistently when my phone screen turns off or it turn it off via the power button. Note that my task killer has an "auto kill" option for when the screen is put to sleep, so I tested this with the task killer on and off.

My findings? I am fairly certain that the problem was being caused by the task killer. Since I seem to have been just thinking out loud on this one, I'll throw it out there as a "warning" for others who might be experiencing the same problem.

Note that I am using "Task Manager" for my task killer.

rlawrence

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Check USB physical Connection

I was having same problem of the phone changing connections in middle of a task when connected USB. It is my USB connector on the phone. It is lose after months of use. It no longer holds tight and moving the phone ever so slightly with just vibrations makes it lose connection, and thus it reverts back to charge only when it reconnects. Bad idea these micro usb connections on a phone! This will always be a problem.

sonso

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Same thing here using my HTC brand cable that came with the phone. This... um... sucks! I need a solution.

Smallest movement and I lose the USB connection to the phone.

swong46

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Bump, I just installed task manger and the pick a connection type screen keeps popping up! so annoying

did you guys just get rid of the program or what? Whats the next best task manager program?

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, if it isn't a hardware issue then it is likely the task manager. And you don't need a task manager. Get rid of it and your problem will likely be solved.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084