Please Help!: Problem with replacing phone on 30 day warranty

thewaterballoonist

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got a problem here. I got a bright spot on the screen of my Evo after only 2 weeks. I'm freaking out a little here. I got my phone from Radio Shack and they told me they didn't have any in stock to switch out but they took down my name and number for if they get any in.

I called a sprint store and they said they couldn't take in Radio Shack's inventory so I can't get a replacement from them. They did say they could replace the screen for me.

I have a couple questions:

If I can't get a replacement phone on warranty within the 30 days due to shortages, am I penalized for that or will they make an exception because there's no inventory?

Has anyone else had their screens replaced? Are they refurbs pulled from malfunctioning devices? I'd like to know before I take action.

Thanks

EDIT: I was also wondering if when they replace the screen if they replace the glass as well.

Last edited:

emaster101

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Since there sold out everywhere, you best bet is to take it to Sprint. Have them replace the screen. As for replacing the glass why would they need to do that? They will re-glue it.

upperking#AC

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with radioshack accept my screen is lifting, rasio ahack has a 90 day return on these phones so yoy should be fine...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

thewaterballoonist

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What if I return the phone at RS, have them switch me over to my old phone (ugh), then get a new one from a sprint store when it's available? That way I don't get hosed because of something that's out of my control?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Maybe you should go ask at the Radio Shack store. They sould have a written copy of their phone return policy, which upperking says is 90 days.

gruppe3942#AC

May 28, 2010
Visit site
What if I return the phone at RS, have them switch me over to my old phone (ugh), then get a new one from a sprint store when it's available? That way I don't get hosed because of something that's out of my control?

This issue with this is that when you return your phone sprint will then put a hold on your account for 60 to 90 days. During that 60-90 days u will not be eligible for an upgrade. I am sure you may get this lifted if you speak to sprint yourself.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So what did you end up doing? I also got mine from RS on launch day and my screen just started lifting. I'd rather get a newer one than have it replaced.

Thanks in advance...

mwbtown003

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I would check back daily. I was just in Best Buy today getting a case and they said they received 24 this morning and still had 20 in stock. The phone is not as back ordered as you may think. You should be able to get one from Radio Shack pretty soon.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would check back daily. I was just in Best Buy today getting a case and they said they received 24 this morning and still had 20 in stock. The phone is not as back ordered as you may think. You should be able to get one from Radio Shack pretty soon.

Depends on your market. Some cities it really is impossible atm, we have huge waiting lists going on here.

sonny50

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Speak to the store manager about your problem, not a sales associate, The Shack has a system for ordering replacement phones that are decective.

We ordered one for a customes last week and it came in about 3 days later.

Good Luck

thewaterballoonist

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Update: I talked to the store manager and he told me the only thing he could do is hope that more inventory comes in. I asked him to give me the number of a higher up so I called the number. I told the woman that I felt like I was being hosed because they didn't have inventory. She told me I could A)Send in the phone for repair (not a good option because I don't have a land line), B) Hope they get inventory in, or C) Return the phone.

Exactly what do I need to do or say to get this resolved? Who do I need to talk to? The clock's running out on this one.

I don't want to, but I may have to return my phone and buy one from Sprint.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Update: I talked to the store manager and he told me the only thing he could do is hope that more inventory comes in. I asked him to give me the number of a higher up so I called the number. I told the woman that I felt like I was being hosed because they didn't have inventory. She told me I could A)Send in the phone for repair (not a good option because I don't have a land line), B) Hope they get inventory in, or C) Return the phone.

Exactly what do I need to do or say to get this resolved? Who do I need to talk to? The clock's running out on this one.

I don't want to, but I may have to return my phone and buy one from Sprint.

What did they say regarding a manufacturers defect? You aren't returning the phone for a refund, so does that make a difference? I've never purchased from RS, but Sprint will handle a manufacturers defect as long as it's still under warranty well outside the 30-day return period.

If the phone is working OK and you just have a cosmetic issue, I would hang on to it and see what happens when RS gets more stock. If it's outside the 30 days and they won't help you, you can always go to HTC and have them settle it, but I'm not sure how they would handle it as far as making you send the phone in or advancing a replacement. But they will honor the warranty. The 30-day from RS is a return policy, it's not a warranty. Technically, unless they have some special agreement with the manufacturer, they aren't required to deal with manufacturing defects. But most retailers do as a courtesy to their customers, so I don't think you have any recourse against RS especially since it's not their fault there is no stock.

DocPeanut

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Call sprint, explain the situation and tell them you are returning the phone and wasn't to order one from them. They will put a note on your account that you are eligible for the upgrade but you will have to order it from them.

Return your phone to radio shack and activate your old one while you wait

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz