4G won't turn on and musical note icon?

ArchGoodwin

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have two questions that might be related.

First off, it appears 4G won't turn on. I have the little 4G button on one of my menu pages. I touch it, but there is no reaction. If I was out of 4G range I would still expect it to light, and to try to find the network. Am I wrong about this? What other reasons would cause 4G to not turn on?

And possibly related, there's a new icon in my tray at the top. It looks like a musical note with a slash through it. What would that be?

Thanks for helping out a newb.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Your 4g icon doesn't turn on because its trying to connect to a 4g signal near by, it wont show up unless your connect. Musical note with the slash through it is most likely one of your ringtone or sound profile options, that you have muted.

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I have two questions that might be related.

First off, it appears 4G won't turn on. I have the little 4G button on one of my menu pages. I touch it, but there is no reaction. If I was out of 4G range I would still expect it to light, and to try to find the network. Am I wrong about this? What other reasons would cause 4G to not turn on?

And possibly related, there's a new icon in my tray at the top. It looks like a musical note with a slash through it. What would that be?

Thanks for helping out a newb.

The 4g widget button should turn on, but nothing will change in the top status bar unless you get a 4G signal.

The musical note with a slash through it is the Silent Mode. With your screen on, hold down the power button until you get a menu. You can then choose between Silent Mode on or off.

ArchGoodwin

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The 4G object doesn't indicate it's turning on in any way. Previously it had lit up where it said 4G even as it tried to find a signal.

Thanks re the musical note. I should have noticed it before, as I haven't changed my volume/ringer settings for a while. Maybe I just overlooked it. I'm more concerned about this 4G thing. (I am trying it in a location where it was able to connect previously, but again, this doesn't look like a failure to connect so much as a failure to turn on.

ArchGoodwin

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Aha! I just deleted my 4G widget and replaced it back in the same spot and now when I touch it, it turns on. It's not finding signal for some reason, but the waves are pulsing showing it's trying.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Another tip for the volume...

If you hold the volume down button it will go all the way to vibrate mode and an icon will show up on the status bar. It looks like a little phone shaking. Push the volume up button once and it will go to silent mode, the musical note with a slash. This turns off the vibration but still silences the ringer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers