android.process.acore

bigvic13

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey I got a question, and doing a search didn't turn up anything for the Evo

I'm losing battery fairly quickly, and upon inspection, I see that android.process.acore is running continuously and using way more CPU/battery than it should be. looking into the accounts & sync, I noticed that android is constantly syncing my contacts. I turned off auto sync, and it still continuously sync the calendar and mail, unnecessarily.
I guess my question(s) are 1. has anyone else had an issue like this? and 2. is there anyway to try and ix it short of a hard reset?

ps...this had not been a problem until this past weekend...still trying to figure out if an app that I installed could be a culprit, but I doubt it

thanks in advance

anon28322

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
My contacts also were syncing constantly. I found this out by discovering that as of yesterday, my phone was not sleeping correctly. I disabled sync contacts and now my phone sleeps. I'm going to try some different options to see where that gets me.

anon28322

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I also noticed that when on 3G, my signal was constant which meant that something was not right (even after unsyncing google contacts).Well I downloaded SystemPanelLite Task Manager and found that my People App was on the fritz and using more CPU than HTC Sense itself. I ended the People task. The signal immediately stopped which assured me that that was the problem.

I went back into settings and checked to sync my google contacts. I opened the People app and everything is fine.

As a side note, my phone was getting hot and even restarted once by itself while the People app was constantly calling a connection. Now that it is restarted, the phone is back down to normal temp.

I'd download the SystemPanelLite Task Manager and check to see how much CPU your people app is using and see if it's the culprit.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It appears some of these processes can get "stuck" (for want of a more accurate technical explanation.) Quite a few people have reported that a reset of the phone (not a reboot) has solved there battery life issues. Perhaps because it forces these runaway processes to restart correctly.

Apps like System Panel and Spare Parts are great tools to help you figure out what's going on with your device.

bigvic13

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I've been using SystemPanel as you both suggested. I did what mospheric did with ending the People task, and so far it seems like its worked. I'll test it out tonight and see what happens.

ParaGod

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. android.process.acore is CONSTANTLY using upwards of 50% of my processor time and my battery is dropping 25% an hour. I am going to try a system reset when I get home from work today, hopefully that will help.

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Did you have UID 10006 using the network all the time? I looked into both, acore was using CPU for me, but more specifically UID 10006 was using the network. I was struggling with it big time. But after PRL60667 came out today and updated it to that, my EVO has been back to being happy. I wonder if there is a bad PRL out there??

bigvic13

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately I've had no luck so far. I don't know what kicks in, but after a while of not having the People app open I start seeing the CPU usage jump again for this process. I updated the PRL and still no dice.
How can I see what UID is using up my data connection?

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
It came back. :(

I decided I might as well try to reset to factory defaults. I have most the stuff I need in the cloud. Couldn't hurt to do. If it comes back again I'll be back...

anon28322

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well For me it was the Facebook syncing to the People App. What I did was just go to settings -> Sync -> Facebook for HTC and removed it from my phone.

My battery life has been phenomenal (36hours) since then. I'm assuming that a malfunction has happened recently to that service since other folks have also had similar problems. I think this could be one of the fixes that HTC is releasing on the June 28th update. It was stated that they are fixing the Facebook Syncing to increase battery life.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me like an app is stuck trying to access something it cant reach and isn't smart enough to give up.

I had this issue with my Palm Pre and it ended up being gmail's account sync, if their servers hiccup while you are syncing the phone ends up continuously trying to pickup where it left off causing the processor to work overtime and the phone to get hot. The issue I had was if you had any weird characters in your contact names on your google account like ? or ╜ etc.. the phone app wouldn't recognize it and would keep trying and trying anyways. After a week or so they found out and released a hotfix patch.

It could be anything though, that process you mention is definately tied to contacts and bookmarks.. so it could be related to that

Its a longshot.. but hell. go through your google account contacts from a computer and look for anything out of the ordinary.. or having multiple numbers for one person that match other people.. that may be it

ParaGod

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I figured it out. I turned off auto sync and now it's no longer doing it. My phone has been unplugged for 4 hours and is still at 90% and I've been using it a decent amount. I think the issue had to do with facebook for sense and supposedly on june 28th there will be an OTA that addresses that and a few other issues including poor wifi reception. http://phandroid.com/2010/06/24/htc-evo-4g-getting-a-software-update-june-28th/

Last edited:

bigvic13

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys. I ended up just resetting the phone (again) after trying everything you guys suggested. Turning Auto Sync off worked, but thats one feature of a smartphone I want to have running. Ah well, back to configuring the Evo (again).

ParaGod

May 30, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely facebook for sense that's causing the issue. I turned background data and autosync back on, but disabled fb's auto update and it's still fine. As soon as I turn fb back on, the problem comes back.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well For me it was the Facebook syncing to the People App. What I did was just go to settings -> Sync -> Facebook for HTC and removed it from my phone.

My battery life has been phenomenal (36hours) since then. I'm assuming that a malfunction has happened recently to that service since other folks have also had similar problems. I think this could be one of the fixes that HTC is releasing on the June 28th update. It was stated that they are fixing the Facebook Syncing to increase battery life.

That was my problem too. So I removed the Facebook account on my phone, rebooted, and re-added Facebook. Now I'm getting 15+ hours on my phone with medium use. Thank God I did that.