1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default 4G or wifi, which uses more power

does anyone know which one uses more power? 4G or wifi?

I haven't run my own tests yet, was wondering if anyone else had tried one vs. the other and can share their experiences.

thanks,

4g does.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

4g easily.

Heck, 3G uses more power than WIFI.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

4G sucks the battery dry, especially if the signal is weak. Sprint may have oversold the practicality of 4G at this point. Time will tell.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Sprint may have oversold the practicality of 4G at this point. Time will tell.
    I don't know about that. 4G is great when you want to use it as a hotspot for laptop(s). You'll likely be able to charge phone while using hotspot.

But in-phone, the only benefit I'm seeing is high quality video and video chat - neither of which I use often. I do notice a significant bump downloading apps from the market but it's not like 3G is unbearable. More 4G specific apps will come now that the capability is there. WiFi hotspot is where 4G is very useful for me in the meantime.

Edit: Forget that the best indirect benefit of 4G is simultaneous voice/data thanks to separate radios.

It sure is nice to get this kind of performance...
    Last edited by xenophon; 06-23-2010 at 05:21 PM.

For me, the real benefit to 4G, eventually, will be simultaneous voice and data. But that's only a real benefit if you can leave 4G on. Tethering is something I do rarely, but checking something online while on a call could be handy.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Wifi is one of the lowest power options (if not the lowest) for phone data

What will drain your phone the most is a weak signal.
    The phone radio will actually increase its power output to get a better signal.

Leaving the WiFi on will SAVE you battery life as WiFi in your home will usually beat your reception indoors.

The 4g radio is a battery hog, requires more processing power to utilize and actually runs hot for some people. I'm sure they will find tweaks to fix this through scaling and throttling.
    HTC Evo Cyanogen CM6