Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Question Vertical for pictures...horizontal for videos?

So, I'm shooting this video today with my ex & her sister. I'm holding the phone vertically. When I play the video back on the phone, it looks fine. When I upload it to youtube, the video is turned on the side. Pictures come out correct holding the phone vertically. So, is the rule of thumb pictures vertical, video horizontal? thanks!

Here's the video:

The noise in the background is my a/c in the truck.
    Cellphone pimpin' ain't easy!

Photos can contain info that tells whatever program viewing them what is the proper orientation according to the orientation of the camera. That is, the photo has information that says which side is the top.

The video isn't actually showing "correctly" (that is, auto-rotating) on your phone, you are rotating the phone so it looks normal. The equivalent would be if you turned your monitor on it's side, it would look "normal."

Video is a horizontal medium. Movies, TVs, Camcorders, you name it, everything is horizontal.

I've been a serious photographer for decades now, and when I got my first video camera I had to really fight the urge to turn the camera vertical for vertical subjects. As you discovered, they come out sideways on the TV when you do that.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Is there any way to zoom on the EVO while shooting video? I can't seem to make it do that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Is there any way to zoom on the EVO while shooting video? I can't seem to make it do that.
    I tried that while shooting that video and couldn't do it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Video is a horizontal medium. Movies, TVs, Camcorders, you name it, everything is horizontal.

I've been a serious photographer for decades now, and when I got my first video camera I had to really fight the urge to turn the camera vertical for vertical subjects. As you discovered, they come out sideways on the TV when you do that.

I have a flip video camera and it's held vertically so I was thinking it would be the same thing for the EVO.