is the battery life really as terrible as online reviews state...

tscharf

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The good news is the EVO and BB 9650 are the same price. Try the EVO and if you don't like it within 30 days, it's an even exchange for the 9650.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
thats awesome, any chance u can hint me at yr setup / options that u turned off or on thnx bud
Mileage varies, but here's my recipe:

* GPS and 4G off. I don't have the latter in my area and unless I'm using a nav app, I find the rough cell tower fix to be adequate for stuff like FourSquare.

* Bluetooth and WiFi on. Occasionally I turn them off while at work, but I never did for my Pre and I'm always finding I forget to turn them back on until after I need them.

* No FriendStream or Twitter clients on 24/7. If I want to know what's going on, I'll fire up the app or hit the site. I don't need 300 people draining my battery with their twaddle and the edits to hide the Facebook games don't seem to stick IIRC.

* Automatic Task Killer set to kill everything one minute after it idles. It took a bit to find the ones I needed to exclude to not cause problems and for my usage patterns, I keep Battery Indicator, Clock, Dolphin Browser HD, Gmail, MixZing, and Weather alive. Gmail pushes come instantly and I've got another, less important account monitored by K-9 Mail which polls the POP once an hour; nothing on that account is time sensitive, unlike Gmail. I do not kill system processes.

* Screen brightness is in the 18-25% range; automatic brightness control is on. Haptic feedback is on.

Typical use for a day is perhaps a couple of calls ranging up to 20 minutes; 10-20 texts; a lot of reading of email and reading web pages for up to a couple of hours as I walk around my site. I don't play games. My usage is probably lighter than most.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site

* GPS and 4G off. I don't have the latter in my area and unless I'm using a nav app, I find the rough cell tower fix to be adequate for stuff like FourSquare.

* Bluetooth and WiFi on. Occasionally I turn them off while at work, but I never did for my Pre and I'm always finding I forget to turn them back on until after I need them.

* No FriendStream or Twitter clients on 24/7. If I want to know what's going on, I'll fire up the app or hit the site. I don't need 300 people draining my battery with their twaddle and the edits to hide the Facebook games don't seem to stick IIRC.

* Automatic Task Killer set to kill everything one minute after it idles. It took a bit to find the ones I needed to exclude to not cause problems and for my usage patterns, I keep Battery Indicator, Clock, Dolphin Browser HD, Gmail, MixZing, and Weather alive. Gmail pushes come instantly and I've got another, less important account monitored by K-9 Mail which polls the POP once an hour; nothing on that account is time sensitive, unlike Gmail. I do not kill system processes.

* Screen brightness is in the 18-25% range; automatic brightness control is on. Haptic feedback is on.

Typical use for a day is perhaps a couple of calls ranging up to 20 minutes; 10-20 texts; a lot of reading of email and reading web pages for up to a couple of hours as I walk around my site. I don't play games. My usage is probably lighter than most.

This sounds about like the exact same setup I have, minus the second email account (only use gmail). And I don't use the task killer unless something hangs up and I need to kill it.

I have been getting about the same battery life as well, no complaints here...

ohthebaby

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

thnx alot much appreciated , i think ill go pull the trigger and see how it is for myself

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I got 14 hours the other day until I was at 30% and that was traveling on the edge of cell service most of the time. The same trip killed my Pre by noon. I can't complain about a phone that gives me a full day of continued service with "normal workday" usage.

Like I told my family members that got their iPhones yesterday, it's easy to conserve battery when your phone doesn't actually do anything.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to REALLY know unless you try it. Get the EVO try it for 30 days and return it at NO CHARGE if you dont and get the bb.

/end thread

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
It's dependent on how you use it. I have seen people get amazing battery life and others that couldn't go half a day.

It really depends on usage and configuration. If you want video all day long, expect that day to be 4 hours long.

If you just want push email and talk on the phone, there should be no problem whatsoever.

Most people are in the middle, so it really depends. Not everyone has the same usage patterns, and so asking here will give you a wide variety of answers.

Online reviews generally witness poor battery performance because of a few factors:
1) They are trying out every cool feature they can
2) They are enabling every radio, and running benchmarks or something
3) They are not trying to turn-off uneeded things, etc.

I don't think an Android phone can be fairly tested against an iPhone, in this same manner. Considering an iPhone is relatively idiot-proof, an Android phone requires the user to be a bit more involved. This can be very good, or bad depending on perspective.

schultepk

May 21, 2010
Visit site
It depends how you use it and how you customize settings.

I use mine like a laptop most days so I get between 6-8 hours. However, this is also in an area that I am constantly roaming which zaps the battery as well.

alvintimothyjr

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Pre (no pun intended) kill those auto- starting/re-starting apps and the battery life becomes awesome. Using 2 market apps to achieve battery longevity...I am a heavy EVO user.