Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default When will we get Froyo, is EVO the left out Stepchild?

We just heard that Droid and Droid X will get Froyo in July or August. Does that mean, because of Sense, we possibly won't get Froyo until September or October? Oh, yeah, Incredible owners also will probably be waiting. I feel like I am the nice boy(EVO) next door that never gets the girl(FROYO).

What does everyone thinks? Should we be patient and good things will come to those who wait, or should she start ranting and raving?

I guess I am on the side of being patient and wait till whenever it gets to us. But it would be nice if we got Froyo by the end of July(wishful thinking).

i have a feeling we will get 2.2 late summer.

I'm thinking end of August as well. Which would be AWESOME!

Hopefully soon.. really digging the look of it.

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

August, HTC needs to make a Sense thats 2.2 Compatible. Droid and Droid X use Stock Android. So its easier to roll it out for those devices.

Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Is the Evo the left out stepchild?
    No, that would be the Incredible.

Another reason why i think late summer like august is because the EVO is sprint's flag ship phone. It will probably be there best phone for awhile at least for the next 6 months. So they need to make sure it compete with the newer phones like the Droid X and stuff. So i'm sure sprint is on HTC back to get it down soon.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Evo will not be left out. It's Sprint's flagship Android phone. What will we do First with Evo? Be the first phone on Sprint's network with FroYo.

HTC can't take a long time anymore now.

Now they have to keep up with others or people will not take HTC seriously.
    Plus I heard that things were changing after 2.1... that HTC would try and get updates out quicker.

I wouldn't worry too much. Right now they need to focus on supply and demand and Q&A to fix initial problems before they launch a full scale OS update.

There will be some other launch handsets that will get it first, we will get ours within weeks, not months.

Besides.. Nobody buys Frozen Yogurt in the fall anyways
    HTC Evo Cyanogen CM6
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    Evo will not be left out. It's Sprint's flagship Android phone. What will we do First with Evo? Be the first phone on Sprint's network with FroYo.
    They sure didn't react that way with last year's "Flagship Phone" the Palm Pre. It took them 8 months to get features like a working camcorder updated.

Although its mainly Palm's fault, not to mention they pretty much Tanked due to all the issues they had with stock, then the verizon fiasco before they were bought out by HP.

Lesson here is, just because its the flagship phone dosen't mean they will spend an endless amount of time on it. They will move on to the bigger and better 4g smartphone in October/November.
    HTC Evo Cyanogen CM6

Quote Originally Posted by BazzBro View Post
    August, HTC needs to make a Sense thats 2.2 Compatible. Droid and Droid X use Stock Android. So its easier to roll it out for those devices.
    actually the Droid x has a new version of motoblur unfortunately

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrecords View Post
    They sure didn't react that way with last year's "Flagship Phone" the Palm Pre. It took them 8 months to get features like a working camcorder updated.

Although its mainly Palm's fault, not to mention they pretty much Tanked due to all the issues they had with stock, then the verizon fiasco before they were bought out by HP.

Lesson here is, just because its the flagship phone dosen't mean they will spend an endless amount of time on it. They will move on to the bigger and better 4g smartphone in October/November.
    I am with you to a point having owned the Pre for a year, but there's one huge thing to consider: Palm vs Android. I think HTC is in FAR better shape than Palm ever was and HTC is much more apt to release 2.2 for Evo than Palm was in any shape to do anything with the Pre.

In other words, I have more faith in HTC than I do/did in Palm. We've seen HTC come out with 2.1 for the Hero; I don't see why Evo won't have it.

It has already been announced that the Evo WILL get it, it's just a matter of when. I agree with everyone else probably by August. HTC will want to push it out as soon as they get it. Also, the version number is not a huge jump from the previous version. Usually, the first number changes when a major upgrade occurs. 2.2 is suppose to bring dramatic changes but I would guess the core pieces of the OS didn't change. Sense would probably install correctly on 2.2 but would have bugs. So instead of writing a new Sense UI, it would be more of fixing broken pieces.

Be patient young grasshopper.

Correct for the most part, although the Droid X is using a version of -Blur .. but it certainly is easier to update when its stock Android. Sense is a bit more complicated.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's been stated that the Droid X DOES have a skin, but it's much less instrusive than normal Motoblur.

But I do have more faith in HTC than I do in Palm (being a launch day Pre owner). I think HTC would want to get Froyo on the EVO at least when the Droid X gets the update. (same with the Incredible)

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhreak53 View Post
    It has already been announced that the Evo WILL get it, it's just a matter of when.

I know, I know.. HTC and Android are doing WAY more than Palm ever did, it just makes me laugh knowing i bought a Palm Pre and they said the "camcorder will come soon" and it ended up taking them 8 months lol

I dont think the same thing will happen with HTC and the EvO but then again you never know
    HTC Evo Cyanogen CM6

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    It's been stated that the Droid X DOES have a skin, but it's much less instrusive than normal Motoblur.
    Yeah I still consider the X stock, the FailBlur feature isn't in your face as it seems. And Im pretty its still easy to update the Blur system, its just streaming widgets that are ugly as f#ck in your face. They can call it NinjaBlur, put it on a 4.3 inch SUPER AMOLED Hight Retina display with a dual core 3.5 GHz processor, the fact that it has a Blur layer on top of the makes the phone a fail.

They already listed the phones that will get Froyo and the EVO is on the list.

Have no fear.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

ROM
    CM7 7.0

I imagine it will be by end of summer as well, they are fighting the Iphone 4 as well as Droid X, and Froyo makes everything better

Exclamation

Besides.. Nobody buys Frozen Yogurt in the fall anyways
    Dude you might be on to something..... What time of year do you eat Gingerbread?????? never thought about that....

Was it HTC or Google that said the Evo would be second in line after the Nexus One to get 2.2? This was not too long ago..

I know, I know.. HTC and Android are doing WAY more than Palm ever did, it just makes me laugh knowing i bought a Palm Pre and they said the "camcorder will come soon" and it ended up taking them 8 months lol

I dont think the same thing will happen with HTC and the EvO but then again you never know
    then again... you weren't around when the HTC mogul was around neither about Windows 6.1 update or gps fix. I forget the patches needed but there were some and rev a needed installed and having to wait for software updates

As much as I try to convince myself that the 2.2 update will be coming by the end of the summer I just don't believe it. The headache and aggravation I dealt with in regards to the 2.1 update for the Hero was unbelievable. To call it frustrating would be a gross understatement. I've seen a lot of people say that the Evo is Sprints flagship so they're gonna get it done, well so was the Hero for a while and it still took what 6-7 months to come out? That's ridiculous. I can only hope that because this phone is miles ahead of the Hero in every fathomable way that they will high tale their asses and get the update done within a reasonable time. I can also only hope that because this phone will probably be the top phone for at least the rest of this year they will have a sense of urgency with bringing the update given the other competition out there. I hope that I'm wrong. So far I'm VERY happy with my phone despite the slight screen lift and the back cover not closing flush. I think it'll hold me off for a while. But if by August there's no update, as much as I love HTC phones this will be my last HTC device and I will start raising absolute hell.

i hope to see an update soon, but ont he other hand i have never known sprint to be prompt about updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast