HTC Screen Separation Issue - Have you exchanged your phone?

Have you exchanged your EVO because of the screen separation issue?

• Total voters

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I know that this issue has been hammered to death, so I don't want to rehash whether or not you have the issue. I am wondering how many of you have actually returned or exchanged your phone because of it.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I just did it. I had a build 0002 and swapped it for a 0003. So far my battery life is much better and I don't have the screen issue separation issue. Right now my battery life meter predicts that my phone will be out of juice in 50 hrs. This is on light use, but this is much much better than my previous Evo, which was struggling to get more than 10 hrs.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to decide if I was just being picky, but I don't think I am. The light leakage drives me batty. Couple that with the fact that applying a little pressure to the glass blocks the light out tells me that this is only going to get worse.

mmmike

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I received my replacement evo yesterday. No light leakage, and the screen is recessed uniformly around the entire phone, unlike my first one. My initial evo was a build 0002; this one is a 0003.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from exchaning my EVO. What follows is my experience -

When I arrived at the Sprint store I got out of the car and for some unknown reason I decided to remove my phone from my pocket. As I pulled it out, it caught the side of my pocket and fell shattering the screen.

I walked in feeling rather stupid telling them about the light leakage issue. The guy looked at me and said that there was nothing that he could do, and since I had removed insurance yesterday (dumb) he couldn't add it back. I was so mad at myself for sheer stupidity. As I was finishing up with him, however, a lady came from the back room. She said, "Oh is that the EVO? That's an awesome phone". I told her that it is awesome until you shatter the screen. She looked at it and told the guy helping me that they had a left over warranty replacement in the back that he could use for this.

So he went to the back and brought out a brand spanking new EVO. No light issue on this, and it is the newer version.

I have never been so pleased with a Sprint store. This is why I stay with them. I have never had an issue that they couldn't resolve.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
What's the process for the manufacturer warranty? I want to exchange but wait until there is a real fix and not try my luck on just a new unit. If I wait I will be passed 30 days.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Warranty replacement can be done any time before the end of the year. The only problem is that you will likely get a refurbished phone and not a new one. The nice thing is that they have pretty well sold through their old stock of the version 002 and all that they are getting now is 003 which does not have the problem. You should be fine to exchange now.

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
To exchange a phone within the first 30 days do I actually need to go to the Radioshack I purchased from, or can I exchange for a new Evo from any Radioshack.?

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have version 003 and have light leakage under the search button.

Who said 003 fixed this issue?

Sorry, I may have misunderstood. Either way, I do not have the issue on this phone and it is 003. The Sprint store I went to said that there is a hardware fix coming in July for all the older phones with that issue

To exchange a phone within the first 30 days do I actually need to go to the Radioshack I purchased from, or can I exchange for a new Evo from any Radioshack.?

You can go to any RadioShack with your receipt.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I just got back from exchaning my EVO. What follows is my experience -

When I arrived at the Sprint store I got out of the car and for some unknown reason I decided to remove my phone from my pocket. As I pulled it out, it caught the side of my pocket and fell shattering the screen.

I walked in feeling rather stupid telling them about the light leakage issue. The guy looked at me and said that there was nothing that he could do, and since I had removed insurance yesterday (dumb) he couldn't add it back. I was so mad at myself for sheer stupidity. As I was finishing up with him, however, a lady came from the back room. She said, "Oh is that the EVO? That's an awesome phone". I told her that it is awesome until you shatter the screen. She looked at it and told the guy helping me that they had a left over warranty replacement in the back that he could use for this.

So he went to the back and brought out a brand spanking new EVO. No light issue on this, and it is the newer version.

I have never been so pleased with a Sprint store. This is why I stay with them. I have never had an issue that they couldn't resolve.

That is awesome. Just for grins, what is the build of the phone? My 0003 build has been performing much better than my 0002 build.

idesofmarch

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been debating if I should return it because I have light leakage and it is very annoying. Would best buy replace my phone just because of the light leakage?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I've been debating if I should return it because I have light leakage and it is very annoying. Would best buy replace my phone just because of the light leakage?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

They did it for me. I also complained about reboots and bad battery life. Just say it is defective. If they won't exchange it, just return it and order a new one.

When you walk into the store bring your receipt and your box with all of the cables, etc.

Incidentally, bestbuy carries a Platinum case for $30. As far as I can tell it is the exact same as the Innocase II from seidio, except it comes with a holster too. This means it is $30 cheaper than the seidio version. It feels very nice so far.

idesofmarch

May 4, 2010
Visit site
They did it for me. I also complained about reboots and bad battery life. Just say it is defective. If they won't exchange it, just return it and order a new one.

When you walk into the store bring your receipt and your box with all of the cables, etc.

Incidentally, bestbuy carries a Platinum case for $30. As far as I can tell it is the exact same as the Innocase II from seidio, except it comes with a holster too. This means it is $30 cheaper than the seidio version. It feels very nice so far.

Thanks. I'm going to best buy once i get out of work. Hopefully they have some in stock.

Heres a pic of the light leakage on the phone. Sorry for the bad quality.
IMG_0963.JPG

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca