View Poll Results: Have you exchanged your EVO because of the screen separation issue?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 16.25%
  • No.

39 48.75%
  • What screen separation issue?

28 35.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC Screen Separation Issue - Have you exchanged your phone?

I know that this issue has been hammered to death, so I don't want to rehash whether or not you have the issue. I am wondering how many of you have actually returned or exchanged your phone because of it.

P-

I think that this will be a very small minority...
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

I just did it. I had a build 0002 and swapped it for a 0003. So far my battery life is much better and I don't have the screen issue separation issue. Right now my battery life meter predicts that my phone will be out of juice in 50 hrs. This is on light use, but this is much much better than my previous Evo, which was struggling to get more than 10 hrs.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have been trying to decide if I was just being picky, but I don't think I am. The light leakage drives me batty. Couple that with the fact that applying a little pressure to the glass blocks the light out tells me that this is only going to get worse.

I received my replacement evo yesterday. No light leakage, and the screen is recessed uniformly around the entire phone, unlike my first one. My initial evo was a build 0002; this one is a 0003.
    Thanked by:

I'm going to return it when they fix the problem in the factory, so maybe build 004/005.

How long do we have to return the phone for that kind of issue and get an a new one?

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by fox79 View Post
    How long do we have to return the phone for that kind of issue and get an a new one?
    30 days

No issue that I have noticed thus far..
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I just got back from exchaning my EVO. What follows is my experience -

When I arrived at the Sprint store I got out of the car and for some unknown reason I decided to remove my phone from my pocket. As I pulled it out, it caught the side of my pocket and fell shattering the screen.

I walked in feeling rather stupid telling them about the light leakage issue. The guy looked at me and said that there was nothing that he could do, and since I had removed insurance yesterday (dumb) he couldn't add it back. I was so mad at myself for sheer stupidity. As I was finishing up with him, however, a lady came from the back room. She said, "Oh is that the EVO? That's an awesome phone". I told her that it is awesome until you shatter the screen. She looked at it and told the guy helping me that they had a left over warranty replacement in the back that he could use for this.

So he went to the back and brought out a brand spanking new EVO. No light issue on this, and it is the newer version.

I have never been so pleased with a Sprint store. This is why I stay with them. I have never had an issue that they couldn't resolve.
    Thanked by:

What's the process for the manufacturer warranty? I want to exchange but wait until there is a real fix and not try my luck on just a new unit. If I wait I will be passed 30 days.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Warranty replacement can be done any time before the end of the year. The only problem is that you will likely get a refurbished phone and not a new one. The nice thing is that they have pretty well sold through their old stock of the version 002 and all that they are getting now is 003 which does not have the problem. You should be fine to exchange now.

I have version 003 and have light leakage under the search button.

Who said 003 fixed this issue?

To exchange a phone within the first 30 days do I actually need to go to the Radioshack I purchased from, or can I exchange for a new Evo from any Radioshack.?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by schultepk View Post
    I have version 003 and have light leakage under the search button.

Who said 003 fixed this issue?
    Sorry, I may have misunderstood. Either way, I do not have the issue on this phone and it is 003. The Sprint store I went to said that there is a hardware fix coming in July for all the older phones with that issue

Quote Originally Posted by badbradd2 View Post
    To exchange a phone within the first 30 days do I actually need to go to the Radioshack I purchased from, or can I exchange for a new Evo from any Radioshack.?
    You can go to any RadioShack with your receipt.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I just got back from exchaning my EVO. What follows is my experience -

When I arrived at the Sprint store I got out of the car and for some unknown reason I decided to remove my phone from my pocket. As I pulled it out, it caught the side of my pocket and fell shattering the screen.

I walked in feeling rather stupid telling them about the light leakage issue. The guy looked at me and said that there was nothing that he could do, and since I had removed insurance yesterday (dumb) he couldn't add it back. I was so mad at myself for sheer stupidity. As I was finishing up with him, however, a lady came from the back room. She said, "Oh is that the EVO? That's an awesome phone". I told her that it is awesome until you shatter the screen. She looked at it and told the guy helping me that they had a left over warranty replacement in the back that he could use for this.

So he went to the back and brought out a brand spanking new EVO. No light issue on this, and it is the newer version.

I have never been so pleased with a Sprint store. This is why I stay with them. I have never had an issue that they couldn't resolve.
    That is awesome. Just for grins, what is the build of the phone? My 0003 build has been performing much better than my 0002 build.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

You can go to any RadioShack with your receipt.
    Bestbuy as well.

Default Re: HTC Screen Separation Issue - Have you exchanged your phone?

I've been debating if I should return it because I have light leakage and it is very annoying. Would best buy replace my phone just because of the light leakage?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Quote Originally Posted by idesofmarch View Post
    I've been debating if I should return it because I have light leakage and it is very annoying. Would best buy replace my phone just because of the light leakage?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    They did it for me. I also complained about reboots and bad battery life. Just say it is defective. If they won't exchange it, just return it and order a new one.

When you walk into the store bring your receipt and your box with all of the cables, etc.

Incidentally, bestbuy carries a Platinum case for $30. As far as I can tell it is the exact same as the Innocase II from seidio, except it comes with a holster too. This means it is $30 cheaper than the seidio version. It feels very nice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    They did it for me. I also complained about reboots and bad battery life. Just say it is defective. If they won't exchange it, just return it and order a new one.

When you walk into the store bring your receipt and your box with all of the cables, etc.

Incidentally, bestbuy carries a Platinum case for $30. As far as I can tell it is the exact same as the Innocase II from seidio, except it comes with a holster too. This means it is $30 cheaper than the seidio version. It feels very nice so far.
    Thanks. I'm going to best buy once i get out of work. Hopefully they have some in stock.

Heres a pic of the light leakage on the phone. Sorry for the bad quality.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

They most likely will have some in stock, but they are reserved for other customers. The guy helping me turned out to the mobile manager and he gave me one of the reserved ones. He said that since I had already paid for mine, I had priority. Two thumbs up for Best Buy customer service. It was interesting, ever single person in BB mobile was rocking their own personal Evo too.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    That is awesome. Just for grins, what is the build of the phone? My 0003 build has been performing much better than my 0002 build.
    Mine is the newer build, but I haven't noticed much change in peformance at all. Though my first one was actually quite snappy and good on battery life anyway. So I guess it's good that performance didn't drop with the new device.

Default got a new one

thought i'd share my experience. i got my new one from "the shack" today and to put it simply, i'm very happy. i had the 002 before and had the screen coming up at the bottom. there was also major light leaking right on the seem at the bottom.

the new one i got is a 003 version and this one appears to be perfect. the screen looks like it is sealed perfectly all the way around... there is absolutely no light leaking from the bottom of the screen... and, not that this has anything to do with the screen problems, but it even has a new battery cover that fits better than the last one.

I read that some people were not liking the screen on the newer hardware revision, saying that it didn't look as bright and the colors weren't as saturated. i'm not really seeing that on my new one. i think that the old one might have been a LITTLE bit more bright but this one still looks great. the colors look fine to me.

Yes see my post on dust under the screen, that is what I got instead.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

I'm going to exchange my Evo this week. Hopefully it will be defect free.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast