Opinions on size?

kajii

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if some of you that have had the Evo for a while can give your opinion on the size of the phone. I'm considering the Droid X which is larger in size(Not screen, I know:p)...

My hands aren't that big, I guess I'd say medium... Are any of you with smaller hands able to use the phone easily with one hand?

Id really appreciate any honest input on the size as size is the only thing making me think twice about the X.

Colorado

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't say anything about small hands (I wear a men's large or XL glove, depending on the brand). But I've found the size of the Evo to be about perfect.

It fits in my hand fine, it hides in my jeans pocket just fine--don't even notice it is there. The screen makes the keyboard very usable and when I compare it to a "normal" sized phone like an iPhone, I just can't help but see the normal size screen as too small.

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that typing in portrait with one hand can be done. But typing in landscape with one hand would be difficult. I have medium or average size hands.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
To touch the top of the screen yes you have to stretch depending on how you hold the phone but you almost never touch the top unless you I grab the notification bar

kajii

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that typing in portrait with one hand can be done. But typing in landscape with one hand would be difficult. I have medium or average size hands.
That's good, I wasn't planning on typing with one hand in landscape. Just need to be sure I'll be able to discreetly text at work. ;)

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Typing one handed in landscape is impractical and maybe impossible for me, and I have good sized hands.

I highly recommend voice input for text and email, tho that's not discreet!

Finally, get the Swype keyboard for when you can't use voice. Swype keyboard is excellent.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Size is perfect for me. That screen is great!
I have small to medium hands and its no problem, though typing with one thumb in portrait is a slight stretch for the farthest keys.

jazzbass12

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
For me, I think the size is perfect. I like the bigger screen. It makes it more usable as a device. I think any larger is too much and then your getting into the tablet arena.
Still fits in pocket yet large enough to surf web etc. The larger size also makes the screen keyboard more usable.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I imagine it's by design, you really don't need to reach the upper-opposite corner with your thumb for normal operation, such as access the app settings dropdown on a Palm Pre which was on the top left.

In most cases, there's either:

1. Nothing you need to tap on the top ~15% of the screen
2. Apps put ads up there as there is still plenty of screen space
3. It's just space for viewing be it email, messaging, browsing, etc.
4. You can arrange your home screens so that the widgets you don't need to access are all at the top (RSS feeds, clock, weather, etc.)

App launcher, phone app, home screen adder, and app settings that you need to access regularly all pop up from the bottom of the screen.

But to answer the question, no, unless you have freakishly large hands you won't be able to access the entire screen using the thumb on one hand.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Swype absolutely makes the thing work in my opinion. Without it I would never attempt to respond to a post in this fashion.

It probably doesn't really make it work one handed, but it makes texting actually doable and just plain fun.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if some of you that have had the Evo for a while can give your opinion on the size of the phone. I'm considering the Droid X which is larger in size(Not screen, I know:p)...

My hands aren't that big, I guess I'd say medium... Are any of you with smaller hands able to use the phone easily with one hand?

Id really appreciate any honest input on the size as size is the only thing making me think twice about the X.

So how are you an "evo rocker" and not even have the phone?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have pretty small hands (wear a small or medium size glove, depending on the fit). I have no problems holding and using the EVO. It is harder to use 1 handed than my prior phone (a Palm Treo). But that's pretty much true of any phone without a physical keyboard, I think.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have medium sized hands and have had little trouble operating the phone one-handed. And I will concur that the size is PERFECT. Not too big at all, and I have a seidio case on my Evo, fits in my jeans pocket just fine (don't wear tight jeans, but not baggy either).

I came from a Blackberry Tour and thought this phone was going to be way too big, but after having it for a week, I really appreciate the screen size, and wouldn't want it any smaller, I find myself squinting at the screen on my ipod touch now, and bringing the device closer to my face....

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think its perfect size, I have short fingers and dont have a problem handling the phone at all. I cant however text with only one hand. especially with Swype

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital