Called HTC yesterday... questions!

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So I had some time yesterday and I decided to give HTC a call and see where it got me in relation to the light leakage I have (version 002). After about 30 minutes, they answered the phone and in a very polite way reminded me that this is purely a cosmetic issue, and it should not affect my phone in any technical way. I told him, however, that I would never buy a new car with a scratch on it, and he agreed. He proceeded to escalate my report and told me that I will be contacted after it is reviewed and remedied.

I guess all I have to do now is wait. I will wait until late next week to hear back from them. If they don't get back to me by then, I will be returning my EVO until they get it right.

Which raises a question... Anyone got their phone replaced through HTC directly? How long did it take to get a call/email back? How long did it take for the phone to be shipped? Was the replacement flawless?

Thanks in advance...

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Why are you doing this through HTC? <edit> nm, I forgot you got yours from the Google I/O batch.

In answer to your question, I did go through HTC to get a replacement HERO. It was a refurb. Though, I think that this is soon enough for them to send out a new one.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So I had some time yesterday and I decided to give HTC a call and see where it got me in relation to the light leakage I have (version 002). After about 30 minutes, they answered the phone and in a very polite way reminded me that this is purely a cosmetic issue, and it should not affect my phone in any technical way. I told him, however, that I would never buy a new car with a scratch on it, and he agreed. He proceeded to escalate my report and told me that I will be contacted after it is reviewed and remedied.

I guess all I have to do now is wait. I will wait until late next week to hear back from them. If they don't get back to me by then, I will be returning my EVO until they get it right.

Which raises a question... Anyone got their phone replaced through HTC directly? How long did it take to get a call/email back? How long did it take for the phone to be shipped? Was the replacement flawless?

Thanks in advance...

are you really gonna return your phone over a light leakage issue?!?!?! comparing your evo to a new car scratch is stretching it. did your evo cost you thousands of $$?

i would hate to see what happens when you get your new evo and drop it on the first day..... good luck ;)

marko358

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
are you really gonna return your phone over a light leakage issue?!?!?! comparing your evo to a new car scratch is stretching it. did your evo cost you thousands of $$?

i would hate to see what happens when you get your new evo and drop it on the first day..... good luck ;)

Some people expect good quality when they spend hundreds of dollars on a phone. This isn't one of those $20 crappy giveaway phones.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

Akarol spent a lot of money on his phone, I don't blame him for wanting a solid build.

When you buy a phone (or anything for that matter), you have a right as a consumer to have the product work for you and be in good condition.

By the way, if light can get out, then dust and other debris can get in. I can guarantee you that you don't want that.

YeOj

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Silicone Case = instant fix

I have the HTC silicone case for my EVO and it totally takes care of the light leakage. Coming from a pre which had horrible light leakage, the Evo light leakage is very minor. Not only will a case fix your light leakage, but it will also protect your Evo since you are so concerned with keeping it scratch free. Just my two cents. :cool:

Also, android and me is reporting that the newer revisions of the Evo have a different screen from a different manufacturer. According to the article he preferred the color and contrast of his original launch day Evo.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I know that for some, light leakage is not a big deal. But after dealing with the Palm Pre (actually, 5 Palm Pres) I vowed to never put myself in a similar situation again. Well, here I am... going through the same motions. I wish I didn't love the EVO that much.

The reason I went through HTC directly is because:

#1. No local Radio Shacks have the EVO in stock and I am far up the wait list when they're getting 2-5 devices a week. That means that I will most likely only get a call from them a month after my 30-day grace period is over.

#2. No local Sprint stores have them in stock either. On top of that, I tried calling them to get a replacement going (I have TEP) and they said that could only be done after the 30-day grace period. Ok... so I know I can get it replaced eventually, but personally, I don't want to get stuck with a refurbished unit after my deadline.

#3. I figured HTC would have the latest version to send out. To my surprise, some people have mentioned that they received refurbished units back from them with even worst symptoms. I hope I stressed my concern and pickiness enough to their representative so that he will send me the latest one.

#4. I have version 002. I know I'm being paranoid here, but I think that overall, people have been having better luck with version 003. I also want to check out that Epson screen compared to the Novatec one that mine probably has.

Anyways, that is why I did it... anyone else follow my trend? If so, how long did it take for you to get an email/call back from them and how long after 'till you got your replacement?!

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Why wouldn't he take it back if the manufacturer is admitting it is a defect even if it is just "cosmetic"? I don't think it's unreasonable for him to expect one that incorporates the fixes that are supposedly being made.

If anything, Sprint/HTC should be grateful for such customers' patience and willingness to allow them to rectify the situation. He could just return it and get a competitors' phone/plan.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just got off the phone with HTC. As polite as the rep was, he basically told me that having the issue escalated does not mean I will be getting a new/improved replacement. In fact, he said that what will most likely happen is that once they have a failsafe remedy in place, they'll take my phone in and just fix it.

I guess I'll be returning my phone to Radio Shack some time soon. I'm one of those who would rather have a newer version just in case. Especially when there are fixes such as the 30FPS cap fix that is currently only compatible with the newer version. On top of that, it is known that a newer screen (Epson, rather than Novatec) is in place with newer devices.

I don't want to get short-handed here and I don't think anyone should.

usualsuspect

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I think people forget that it is not just the price we are talking about. Someone said that this is only a $200 phone - but to me it's a $440 phone because of the $10 data charge and then throw in u need a data plan, etc I more or less think of this as a phone that costs in the $1000s...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith