1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Camera lens scratch

Hey guys, when I got my evo a few weeks ago I bought a hard case because it raised the phone off its back to protect the camera lens (because when the evo is resting on its back it rest of the camera lens) and I was wondering, is it even necessary? Is resting the phone on the camera actually hurt the lens at all? Thanks.

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Phil said his was all scratched up. Mine seems to be ok, i try to keep it off rought/scratchy surfaces.

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

Quote Originally Posted by Jallgeier View Post
    Hey guys, when I got my evo a few weeks ago I bought a hard case because it raised the phone off its back to protect the camera lens (because when the evo is resting on its back it rest of the camera lens) and I was wondering, is it even necessary? Is resting the phone on the camera actually hurt the lens at all? Thanks.
    I have had my EVO since launch day... I rest it on it's back all the time vs the screen... I don't use a case at all.. Only the Zagg Skin.... I put my phone in and out of my pocket at least 30 times per day. I rest it flat on it's back on my night stand at night and I have not even come close to scratching that lens cover (your not going to scratch the Lense.. It's under the back of the cover) With out a "Case" the lens cover does not touch any thing.. if you look at it real close it touches the metal ring around the lens cover... with a case it probably makes the actual cover flush with what your setting it on instead of it resting on that ring.....

I bought mine on launch day from rs and there were no screen protectors available other than oversize cut to fit. I bought a few of those to get me by. After trimming to fit the evo screen there was left over material and since i did not have a case for the phone yet I just cut out a dime sized piece and laid it over the lens. Not sure if it effects picture quality but the pics i've taken so far have come out well.

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

I've got a small scratch across 3/4 of the lens and my photos still look great. It's not like there's a big line through every photo.

The phone doesn't sit on the lens cover when on a flat surface. Try looking at it.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cubdroid View Post
    I bought mine on launch day from rs and there were no screen protectors available other than oversize cut to fit. I bought a few of those to get me by. After trimming to fit the evo screen there was left over material and since i did not have a case for the phone yet I just cut out a dime sized piece and laid it over the lens. Not sure if it effects picture quality but the pics i've taken so far have come out well.
    I did the same and I'm pretty sure it does affect picture quality. After all, it's a flexible piece of plastic, and not quality glass on top of the lens. Try it out, you'll know what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    I did the same and I'm pretty sure it does affect picture quality. After all, it's a flexible piece of plastic, and not quality glass on top of the lens. Try it out, you'll know what I mean...
    I put a protector earlier today and have been playing with the camera to check out the quality. I noticed the cam had a harder time focusing and it took a few shots for me to get a decent photo. Here is some comparison. Sorry if my model is always the cat, it's been way to hot to shoot test out it the heat... I like playing around with the settings in low light because I know the cam takes great pics in nice natural light anyway. Both pics taken using Camera 360 app, indoors with just desk lamp on.

One from yesterday that I posted in the pic thread here without protector on the lens.

Today with Sprint Universal Screen Protector.

I'm thinking of removing the protector because it seems more blurry to me, plus the patience it takes for the cam to focus was annoying.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Has anyone seen a anti scratch coating that can be put on the camera glass? I've been very careful with the phone but if finally got a scratch across the lens. I love my Evo but this is such a dumb design.

The Seidio Innocase II is only 1 mm thick and will protect your $500 investment. Is there any reason not to buy it?
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Seidio Innocase II is only 1 mm thick and will protect your $500 investment. Is there any reason not to buy it?
    Yes, the fit of the innocase ii is sub-par.

i got the seidio innocase active from amazon and it fits a lot better than the innocase ii. it's a little bit more bulky but it doesn't bother me.

Amazon.com: Seidio Innocase Active Case for HTC EVO 4G - Limited Edition: Cell Phones & Service

I still have the plastic cover the phone came with on mine. I don't really use my phone for pictures, but it hasn't affected me using the camera for scanning bar codes or QR codes. One thing I wish is that companies that make cases provide some type of flap or covering for the camera. Honestly, how hard or costly would it be to have a snap on or pull down flap to cover the camera?

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Default Case

I had the rubber case on at first - too loose and kept getting caught in my pocket due to the grip. I had the Bodyglove case on second but it broke trying to get the top off to pop the battery when my phone locked up. Honestly though, the phone seems so much thinner without a case on it. When I had the Bodyglove one on the first comment I got from people was how huge the phone was. It's kind of like the Iphone 4. Apple put so much thought into the design of the hardware. The glass on the back looks beautiful. But, everyone has to cover it up to make sure that it doesn't break. So, what's the point of making a smartly designed phone?

Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post
    Yes, the fit of the innocase ii is sub-par.
    There must have been a bad batch at some point. Call Seidio and have them replace it. Mine is absolutely a perfect fit.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

The Prices Seidio charges! When you can easily find something similar, if not better cheaper online.

you're right, the EVO does not really rest on the lens cover. If you place the phone on the corner of a table and shine a bright light under it while you look under the phone from the opposite side of the light, you will see that the shape of the back of the phone has a slight contour so that the phone seems to only very slightly touch the lower part of the ring around the lens cover, but not the lens cover itself. In any event, if there is some granular material on a surface where you rest your phone (accidentally of course), it might still cause a scratch....so I just ordered a Seidio innocase which looks like it will provide good protection. We'll see...

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jallgeier View Post
    I scratched mine and now use a case to help when I set the phone down. The rear camera is my one biggest concern with this phone because I like the convience of having a decent camera with me all the time and don't want to scratch it even more.

can the lens cover be replaced?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

There must have been a bad batch at some point. Call Seidio and have them replace it. Mine is absolutely a perfect fit.
    Some people had big problems with the innocase. Seidio admitted to them and said they replaced them. You can check the REALLY long post about it. I personally want an even thinner case, so I'm thinking about the Talon case offered on the adroid central store or the case mate barely there case. Both look really thin and look like they will keep the camera lens from touching when you set the phone down.

I would also think that if you could cut a piece of the "hard" type of screen protector material like what the Seidio protectors are made of that they wouldn't affect picture quality. They don't have orange peel or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarner191 View Post
    can the lens cover be replaced?
    Did we ever determine if the lens cover can be replaced? Mine got a drop of moisture under the lens somehow and it appears it isn't going away completely (been several weeks) as it left some residue behind after it dried. No idea what it was or where it came from.
    Banned

Default Best solution to protect Evo camera lens

This is the best solutions I've found for preventing my camera lens from getting scratched and I've tried a few. It's called the Lens Protector and it eliminates the problem without the need for a case and is very inexpensive.... Problem solved and I get to "Go Naked" !

I bought it from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Cell Phone Camera Lens Protector (2 PER Box, Protects the Exposed Camera Lens From Scratches and Damage for the HTC Sprint Evo and Verizon Droid Incredible Without the Need for a Bulky Case). Easy Installation and Allows the Back Cover to

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

Quote Originally Posted by dan1e6 View Post
    This is the best solutions I've found for preventing my camera lens from getting scratched and I've tried a few. It's called the Lens Protector and it eliminates the problem without the need for a case and is very inexpensive.... Problem solved and I get to "Go Naked" !

I bought it from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Cell Phone Camera Lens Protector (2 PER Box, Protects the Exposed Camera Lens From Scratches and Damage for the HTC Sprint Evo and Verizon Droid Incredible Without the Need for a Bulky Case). Easy Installation and Allows the Back Cover to
    Wow. It looks like you're trying to sell stuff on AC to me. What's your percentage per unit?

Smile Looks very useful

I went and ordered one of these last night. It looks pretty damn useful, and apparently you get two. I don't like cases either, so, we'll see!