Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default To exchange or not to exchange, that is the question...

Picked up my Evo on the 7th hardware version 0003 (wanted to pick it up when it was released but was leaving for Vegas early that morning). No screen lifting, no light leakage, button cracks, etc. In fact, the battery is not all that bad! Here's my dilemma: about a week ago, I got my first random reboot. Since then, my Evo has rebooted about once every other day. My speaker now cracks as well. It's not all the time but usually when my headset is plugged in and when I'm receiving calls.

I love the phone but my OCD is telling me to get it replaced. If I do decide to exchange it for a new one, I'm afraid that I will wind up getting a lemon. What would you do???

Thanks in advance!!!

If it is not a hardware issue, I would try reinstalling or performing a hard reset of the Android system.

If that doesn't work, DEFINITELY replace it. I would.

Where did you get your evo and what kind of insurance do you have on it?

I agree, do a hard reset of your EVO. It sounds like software issue. Hard Reset will reset everything on your phone except it won't delete anything on your SD card.

Here is directions on how to do a hard reset:

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC EVO 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
    2. Hold the Volume Down button
    3. Press and release the Power button
    4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
    5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
    6. Press and release the Power button
    7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Sorry, I should've mentioned that already but I did perform a hard reset. Purchased from Best Buy and am already on the list for a replacement. I have insurance thru Asurion.

Thanks guys!

Whoa: you don't need insurance to replace a brand new phone. This is still under factory warranty. If they try to charge you a deductible just say no.

Question about the hard reset: Did you then re-install all your apps? If so, you may have just recreated the problem. After a reset, run the phone without any 3rd party stuff and see if you still have the problems.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ya, I am definitely within my 30 days. I didn't isntall any apps since the hard reset. I had another random reset this morning. Not very frequent; but like I said earlier, about every other day. The speaker bothers me more than anything. Sounds like it is blown but it's not consistent. Mostly happens when I get a call...

I'm kind of on the fence about exchanging also...launch day version 2...only one possible hardware issue and one definite software issue...my power button has seemingly dropped lower into its slot so it is now a slight ridge on the top of the case...still operate but damn low...to take some of the work load off of it I installed No Lock and the volume rockers seem much sturdier and are doing fine.
    The software issue is I don't haveback the notification bar at the top of the screen...I can access them through the menu button but there is just nothing to swipe down at the top of the screen...did a reset to try and bring back a pristine OS..but no luck..not sure to live with this or not..BB insurance..I just don't want to get stuck with an even worse roach of a phone.
    Last edited by Dutch54; 06-25-2010 at 03:19 PM.

I am exchanging tomorrow am. My light leakage has gotten worse, seeing dust in upper left now, it has gotten more laggy, speaker has a 'tin' sound to it and crackles. If the next one is worse ill just return and wait a bit longer.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

im on a waiting list to exchange at my local rs, my phone gets super hot, like 117 degrees sometimes plus i have random reboot problem, done a hard reset, random reboots stopped for the most part happens every now and then, still having the heat problem though.